Why do almost all DIR divers I see use black fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepdiverbc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive in the PNW where the visibility can get quite low. I have frequently been complimented by my buddies on my bright blue fins because it made me easy to see form behind and identify in low vis.

I would think that black fins would be a disavantage in situations such as night dives and low visibility dives due to algae blooms or silt outs. Also in larger groups if everyone is wearing the same colored gear it would increase the risk that you might loose track of your buddy.

Because many DIR divers wear either ScubaPro Jet Fins or IDI Turtle Fins, which are all black.

Now I'm sure someone will come along and post a picture of some of the various coloured Jet Fins that have been released, but 99% of them are black.

deepdiverbc:
I would think that black fins would be a disavantage in situations such as night dives and low visibility dives due to algae blooms or silt outs. Also in larger groups if everyone is wearing the same colored gear it would increase the risk that you might loose track of your buddy.

The function of dive gear is not predicated on how colorful it is, but how it performs its job while diving.

MD

Black fins can be visible too ... all you need is a white paint pen.

Because I work with students a lot, I wanted my Turtles to be both visible and identifiable. So I painted the Turtle logo on the top side white ... and on the bottom of each fin I wrote "Just Keep Swimming" ... people tell me it's very visible, even in the 2 - 6 foot vis we've been diving in lately.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Rule #6 ??? :eyebrow:

deepdiverbc:
Also in larger groups if everyone is wearing the same colored gear it would increase the risk that you might loose track of your buddy.
If you're diving DIR you're not going to be diving in "larger groups" -- at the very least you'll subdivide into smaller, tight teams.

Large groups result in "All for none and none for all" thinking.

Roak

I'm colorblind. Just kidding. I just don't have any style. Oh, wait. Black is a style. Now, if I could just get those colored logos off my gear.

I'm going dark, lights out, down on the deck. You can follow me if you dare, just don't run into to me. Punching out at night sucks.

deepdiverbc:
I dive in the PNW where the visibility can get quite low. I have frequently been complimented by my buddies on my bright blue fins because it made me easy to see form behind and identify in low vis.

The questions themselves point out some of the differences between DIR training and "traditional" training.

First off, the DIR diver isn't going to be concerned with being able to see his (or her) dive buddy from behind ... because if they're diving DIR they're going to either be swimming beside their buddy or shining their light somewhere their buddy can see it. So the color of fins is a complete non-issue, since if you're diving DIR you won't be using them to keep track of your buddy.

Another thing is that, while I know of DIR divers who dive in "groups" (usually no more than two or three buddy teams though) ... they always have a primary buddy and a contingency plan for what to do if their buddy team gets separated from the group (usually you and your buddy just continue the dive). And if they're following their training they always know where their buddy is ... so if you're diving as you were trained, you won't have to look into a crowd for your dive buddy.

Silt-outs? DIR divers are trained how to not create them ... and they'll usually avoid divers who do. In extremely poor vis ... or when swimming through someone else's silt-out ... you do it elbow-to-elbow with your lights pointing in such a way that you are able to see each other's lamp.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The sales guy said they were the best, and they would help me hide from the boggie man down at 9 ata, but that I'd have to pay more for black fins--so I bought them. Is that wrong?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom