Why do almost all DIR divers I see use black fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Drone,

I have to agree, this went WAY off thread really fast, and maybe I missed why, but that was pretty harsh IMHO

Oh my eyes--they burn -- I just read a joke ---you will burn in Hell now!

Watch out here comes the angree landlocked divers...Run for the hills!

I LOL with the Thinner joke--if only it worked for me...

deepdiverbc:
I dive in the PNW where the visibility can get quite low. I have frequently been complimented by my buddies on my bright blue fins because it made me easy to see form behind and identify in low vis.

I would think that black fins would be a disavantage in situations such as night dives and low visibility dives due to algae blooms or silt outs. Also in larger groups if everyone is wearing the same colored gear it would increase the risk that you might loose track of your buddy.
Because black is cool! LOL :wink:

The main reason why is because they only make Jet Fins in black. All my gear is black simply because I like the color. I like my gear to look simple, plain and uniform. Black does that well. Also, lots of colors annoy me when it comes to gear.

If you need some sort of color scheme to keep track of your buddy, you have a major problem. My buddy and I wear all black and we have never lost contact even in poor visability.

From what I have read it sounds like the general opinion is that training will make the need for high vis fins redundant. This sounds logical if you only dive in small groups with DIR divers. The fact that turtle fins etc. only come in black had occured to me but I had a feeling there was more to it than that. If Turtles came in blue I had my doubts that DIR divers would use them

For me my colored fins have value. I use many DIR principles in my gear set up and dive practices but am in the minority. I dive with a variety of buddies at different skill levels and frequently lead a dive as navigator. The blue fins help those following me keep me in sight and my assigned buddy can identifiy me if we are in a larger group.

The advise to swim elbow to elbow in very low vis is good advise. When navigating to an exit point in low vis it is very easy for the diver following me to get separated if they have to slow down or take their eyes off me for any reason. This is a very dangerous time period during a dive as everone is lower on air at this point and getting separated could be serious.

And if you see dog-doo you are not obligated to step in
it but you ARE obligated to warn all other travelers. DIR or NOT. :eyebrow:

Uncle Pug:
Tip:
If you find a shoe along the way you are not obligated to try it on.
If you do and it fits you are not obligated to call attention to that fact.
:D

I see that the Scubapro Jet Fins are made longer now. Any preferences for DIR divers as to old vs. new?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom