Why do almost all DIR divers I see use black fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, misread it, sorry. But - it's still incorrect. :)

The blades on the XXL Jet Fins and the XL Jet Fins are the same length.

Ok.. watch out.. newbie question coming:

"What is DIR?"

Secondly, why are BCDs all made in black? I mean, the seem to make every other piece of scuba equipment is various colours, but all the BCDs I have ever seen are plain old black!

Pilaar39:

"What is DIR?"

so glad you asked:

http://scubaboard.com/t44823.html

Pilaar39:
Secondly, why are BCDs all made in black? I mean, the seem to make every other piece of scuba equipment is various colours, but all the BCDs I have ever seen are plain old black!

why are foreign films so.... foreign?

:eyebrow:

Pilaar39:

"What is DIR?"

Read "What is DIR" by Cave Diver on the SB DIR home page.

The XL and XXL Jet fins use a longer blade than the smaller sized jets. The large blades on the XL jet fins are relatively new only if you consider their introduction 20 plus years ago as being relatively recent. The larger foot pocketed XXL jets were released only a few months ago.

I have personally only used the larger bladed fins but people who have used both tell me they really can't tell the difference.

When I started diving, real men wore black and the color choices were limited black and blue with the occasional splash of orange. Some of this was also due to the wet suit technology of the time as black and blue nylon was more flexible than other colors and consequently more suitable for use in the already not so flexible wet suits of the period. But most of it was an issue of style and very much a fashion statement.

In the same vein, fin color is not a DIR mandate but rather a fashion choice of many DIR divers.

I was pretty resistant to change as diving was feminized and color choice and coordination became marketing issues, but one thing I do agree with is the value of brighter fins regardless of your training or philospohical orientation. Regardless of training, stuff happens and being able to see the flash of color from a bright fin can mean the difference between rejoining and completing the dive as planned or having to resort to missing buddy procedure. If SP made a pair of lime green XL Jets, I buy 'em.

And no offense intended but I find the statement that DIR divers are trained how to avoid causing silt outs (and the implication that DIR divers consequently never find them selves silted out unless someone else caused it) to be more than a little huberistic. In some locations, a silt out is going to happen regardless of perfect technique and you will then use your training to deal with it appropriately.

Pilaar39:

They're not - my wing has bellows that fold out when I have air in my wing and the inside surfaces of the bellows are bright blue. While I don't mind the color, having it show makes it sort of obvious when I have quite a bit of air in my BC......(and leaves me open to criticism for being overweighted on those 30' quarry dives.......)

DA Aquamaster:
And no offense intended but I find the statement that DIR divers are trained how to avoid causing silt outs (and the implication that DIR divers consequently never find them selves silted out unless someone else caused it) to be more than a little huberistic. In some locations, a silt out is going to happen regardless of perfect technique and you will then use your training to deal with it appropriately.

No offense taken ... however, no implication was intended either. Don't read more into the statement than is there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom