Why do I need a Nitrox certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does it cost?
The PADI Enriched Air Diver course online is $205 (US) nonrefundable. The fee covers the knowledge development training as well as unlimited access to the PADI Enriched Air Diver manual online. Your PADI Dive Center or Resort will charge an additional fee for participation in the Practical Application session and enriched air training dives, or predive simulations. Contact your PADI Dive Center or Resort regarding these additional costs.

That's a BIG ripoff. The PADI course I took costs $130.00. The books and tables costs 41.95 from leisure pro the same ones I have. I was informed probably no dives. So I figure $60.00 MAX. LP is selling the books and tables at a profit for $42.00 which means they got them for less. So what are they worth direct from PADI, $20.00 maybe? Another $30.00-$40.00 per for c-card processing, web site costs,etc. I'd say that's fair. Do they wear masks when they charge $205?

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 04:26 AM ----------

I bet you probably had a pretty good idea of how to drive before you went to the DMV for the first time to get your driving license too...but you still went. I have been able to sit in on several nitrox classes from different instructors. It can be very in depth if the instructor wants it to be. Perhaps not everyone in the class was as familiar with the subject as you were. If you didn't learn anything find another instructor or consider taking advance nitrox.

I don't understand why some people have difficulty understanding why they have to take a course in order to acquire a specific fill or conduct a specific dive. I could probably learn to fly a plane between books and the internet, but should I be allowed to?

Flying and NItrox are like heart surgery and splinter removal no comparision. A 100+ dollar Nitrox course is a rip off pure and simple.

AfterDark:6327540:
What does it cost?
The PADI Enriched Air Diver course online is $205 (US) nonrefundable. The fee covers the knowledge development training as well as unlimited access to the PADI Enriched Air Diver manual online. Your PADI Dive Center or Resort will charge an additional fee for participation in the Practical Application session and enriched air training dives, or predive simulations. Contact your PADI Dive Center or Resort regarding these additional costs.

That's a BIG ripoff. The PADI course I took costs $130.00. The books and tables costs 41.95 from leisure pro the same ones I have. I was informed probably no dives. So I figure $60.00 MAX. LP is selling the books and tables at a profit for $42.00 which means they got them for less. So what are they worth direct from PADI, $20.00 maybe? Another $30.00-$40.00 per for c-card processing, web site costs,etc. I'd say that's fair. Do they wear masks when they charge $205?

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 04:26 AM ----------

I bet you probably had a pretty good idea of how to drive before you went to the DMV for the first time to get your driving license too...but you still went. I have been able to sit in on several nitrox classes from different instructors. It can be very in depth if the instructor wants it to be. Perhaps not everyone in the class was as familiar with the subject as you were. If you didn't learn anything find another instructor or consider taking advance nitrox.

I don't understand why some people have difficulty understanding why they have to take a course in order to acquire a specific fill or conduct a specific dive. I could probably learn to fly a plane between books and the internet, but should I be allowed to?

Flying and NItrox are like heart surgery and splinter removal no comparision. A 100+ dollar Nitrox course is a rip off pure and simple.

$100 dollars seems like a small price to pay to learn how to handle a gas that could kill you if misused. Just my opinion.

$100 dollars seems like a small price to pay to learn how to handle a gas that could kill you if misused. Just my opinion.

To which you are entitled too as I am mine which we already know. Any diver that is ignorant of 02 toxicity and it's dangers was ill-trained. Knowing about 02 toxicity any diver that doesn't know that a PP02 over 21% is dangerous at some depth is not thinking because as we all know even air can be the source of 02 toxicity at some depth. A little common sense and some reading is all that's needed, IMO of course

I took OW in 99 so mabey things have changed but I dont recall covering PPO2 during the course, and the depths where you have to be concerned about CNS toxicity on 21% are beyond recreational depth limits. Perhaps this is why its not covered until you take nitrox.

I took OW in 99 so mabey things have changed but I dont recall covering PPO2 during the course, and the depths where you have to be concerned about CNS toxicity on 21% are beyond recreational depth limits. Perhaps this is why its not covered until you take nitrox.

That must be the difference. I was trained in 1968. They taught people about diving and how to dive back then. If a "sport diver" was going to dive deep it was on air; and there were no such things as recreational depth limits, going to 200FSw on air was done by some in the "sport diving" relm because that's where the wreck was. It was a different time and a different world. A Certificate to SCUBA dive course was $125.00, took 12 weeks and 4 ocean dives. An airfill was .25 cents

AfterDark:6327681:

That must be the difference. I was trained in 1968. They taught people about diving and how to dive back then. If a "sport diver" was going to dive deep it was on air; and there were no such things as recreational depth limits, going to 200FSw on air was done by some in the "sport diving" relm because that's where the wreck was. It was a different time and a different world. A Certificate to SCUBA dive course was $125.00, took 12 weeks and 4 ocean dives. An airfill was .25 cents

Mabey we should start training like that again, well besides the 200' on air. I am pretty much tapped out at 165' on air. I went to 180' once and cant remember too much about that dive or atleast the deeper part of the dive.

AD wrote
That must be the difference. I was trained in 1968. They taught people about diving and how to dive back then.

That is such B.S. I bet you also walked to school in three feet of snow uphill both ways!

People are taught how to dive today also AND people are taught about diving. I know I wasn't taught anything about BCDs, about Nitrox, about Octos or bungied backups, non-silting kicks or any number of things your basic O.W. student is taught today.

AD wrote

That is such B.S. I bet you also walked to school in three feet of snow uphill both ways!

People are taught how to dive today also AND people are taught about diving. I know I wasn't taught anything about BCDs, about Nitrox, about Octos or bungied backups, non-silting kicks or any number of things your basic O.W. student is taught today.

We didn't need to learn about BCD's, Nitrox Octos,bungied backups or even SPGs, because those things hadn’t been invented yet. We did learn to adjust and control our buoyancy without BCD’s, and to dive safely without any of these inventions. I’m guessing here but we probably spend well over 40 hours in the pool and about the same in classroom time. We learned a lot that is not taught today at the OW level because we didn’t have the depth limits and structure there is today. There were no OW, AOW, Tech, Rec there was one diving course you took it passed it and started diving. There were no DM's to hire to hold our hands for the 1st few dives. Charters were mostly unheard of, around here anyway. We’d hire a fishing boat to take us to a dive site drop us off and pick us up after they were done fishing. The fishermen didn’t care if we even knew how to dive. There would have been no way to enforce any limits. I walked a mile to and from school, snow or no snow rain or a shine. My father took our only car to work so Mom didn't have anyway to get me to school.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 02:15 PM ----------

Mabey we should start training like that again, well besides the 200' on air. I am pretty much tapped out at 165' on air. I went to 180' once and cant remember too much about that dive or atleast the deeper part of the dive.

There is no way the to go back the way things are these structured these days. Most people couldn't afford what a course like we had would cost today. Most people today wouldn't put the time into it anyway. I'm sure some LDS try to teach more than they are required too and that's good. I never went to 200FSW, 170fsw was my deepest didn't stay long becaause there wasn't much to see.

We didn't need to learn about BCD's, Nitrox Octos,bungied backups or even SPGs, because those things hadn’t been invented yet. We did learn to adjust and control our buoyancy without BCD’s, and to dive safely without any of these inventions. I’m guessing here but we probably spend well over 40 hours in the pool and about the same in classroom time. We learned a lot that is not taught today at the OW level because we didn’t have the depth limits and structure there is today. There were no OW, AOW, Tech, Rec there was one diving course you took it passed it and started diving. There were no DM's to hire to hold our hands for the 1st few dives. Charters were mostly unheard of, around here anyway. We’d hire a fishing boat to take us to a dive site drop us off and pick us up after they were done fishing.

Fishing boats? Luxury!

We had to swim to the divesite.

Uphill. Both ways!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom