why go below 30'???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a 37 year old certified OW diver - a novice to be exact. I've been on 12 dives in two years all above 35.' I obsess about equipment and love to see fish. After reviewing all the DCS stories on this forum for several weeks now, I know one thing is certain: I will not be going below 32' for a LONG time. I mean why should I? The risks are too great. These accidents happen ALL the time. All I can say is thank god for this forum and thanks to all of you for sharing.

What accidents happen all the time? And if you think 32' is safe, have you heard of AGE?
I think you're seriously overreacting to a non-issue, but whatever pops your cork.

MD

With any sport there are risks, but with the proper training and experience these risks are decreased.

If you feel that you should not descend below 30 feet then you probably should not descend below 30 feet, but please keep in mind, the proper training will help you mitigate the risk, not eliminate it though, and the proper experience helps reinforce your training.

I agree that you should never push yourself into something you are not ready to do and by your own words you are not ready for anything deeper but if you ever change your mind, go slow, get the training and then work on the experience.

You should never go beyond what you feel comfortable doing.

Lastly, as MechDiver indicated, you can have the same accidents at 30 feet that you can at deeper depths.

Still, there is a great deal to see and experience at deeper depths.

thanks - This is just my opinion though.

LVX

I totally agree with MechDiver. I think that if you want to be that safe, stay out of the water. There are just as many things that can kill you at 32 feet as 60 feet, and the false sense of security you'll obtain by being "only at 30 feet" may lure you to be even less safe.

You can get bent above 30 feet, you can get embolisms above 30 feet, you can have heart problems and drown above 30 feet, you can get attacked or poisoned by sea life above 30 feet, you can get tangled in fishing line above 30 feet.. I think you need to reconsider this decision.

MY VERY PERSONAL (SUBJECTIVE) OPINION.

I think you do exaggerate the risks of going below 30 feet, BUT I agree that you shouldn't force yourself to go deeper if you do not feel comfortable. I don't quiet agree with the "then stay out of the water" advice, as it's also very radical. Jonnythen - chill :) not everyone has to be a technical diver. I agree that you can have those mishaps at any depth, but I think there is a logic in trying to be safer by not going too deep.

Take it easy, dive safe and most of all ENJOY what you're doing.

Don't get out of the water :)
Dive in 6 feet if that's what makes you happy :)

Again, just my 2 cents.

safe diving

deep_ocean

There are two ways to guarantee you'll never get bent.

1. Don't dive.

2. If you do dive, don't come up.

I'm gonna have to go with George Leigh Mallory on this one...

True, there is an abundance of life 0-35', but it's not like the ocean goes barren below that. There is so much life to see in the deeper waters (not that I've personally been there yet, but give me a little time/experience/education). I do know that a lot of wrecks are well below 35', which is a major attraction for a lot of people. Plus, the human instinct of why climb the mountain? Cuz it's there! (just in reverse, obviously). Kinda funny, though. On my first dive ever (Certification) I went to 45'. Just my opinion.

Additionally, the better preserved wrecks are below 30'. But, as so many others before me have said, if you don't want to go deeper, don't.

If I never dove any deeper than 30ft I would have missed out on a giant asian moray in Kona and a gorgeous, free swimming, HUMONGOUS green Moray on the Tennaco Towers. I would have never seen the schools of barracuda hoverin above the Duane. I could go on. THere is so much to see in the ocean and you REALLY limit yourself if you never go deeper than 30 ft.

I guess I have a different attitude than you do. I've been certified for about the same time and I've done over 200 dives to your 12.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom