why go below 30'???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think everyone has their own limitats, comfort zones etc.
For some people diving is absolutely crazy - too dangerous. For some, unless you spent 6 hours in a cage, or penetrate a wreck at 200 ft, it's not even worth putting on gear. It's subjective and the fact tha one person is comfortable at a particular depth is natural.
Like he's mentioned himself, he'd build up his confidence with more dives behind his belt and eventually probably would go deeper.
I still think that being COMFORTABLE and ENJOYING oneself is the most important thing in diving (and other activities)

safe diving.

deep_ocean

deep_ocean once bubbled...
I still think that being COMFORTABLE and ENJOYING oneself is the most important thing in diving (and other activities)

:mean: same for me

bmuise once bubbled...
I am a 37 year old certified OW diver - a novice to be exact. I've been on 12 dives in two years all above 35.' I obsess about equipment and love to see fish. After reviewing all the DCS stories on this forum for several weeks now, I know one thing is certain: I will not be going below 32' for a LONG time. I mean why should I? The risks are too great. These accidents happen ALL the time. All I can say is thank god for this forum and thanks to all of you for sharing.

Well, I do lots of shallow fish watching dives but my true love is caves and wrecks. The cave goes where it goes and sometimes that's deep. The best wrecks are usually the deep ones. There are lots of valid reasons to go deep. With the right skills and equipment the risks are manageable IMO.

Larry, I checked out that link on shallow water bends, the diver seriously abused his dive plan, like for 6 hours at a time with multiple tanks at 30ish feet, nitrogen is nitrogen at any depth with elapsed dive time like 6 hours, looks like he was working to get the bends from the story zeN

zeN|| once bubbled...
Larry, I checked out that link on shallow water bends, the diver seriously abused his dive plan, like for 6 hours at a time with multiple tanks at 30ish feet, nitrogen is nitrogen at any depth with elapsed dive time like 6 hours, looks like he was working to get the bends from the story zeN

I dont think he had a dive plan to abuse. As long as he had air in his tanks, he was diving :D

Did you notice his dive profiles. If i remember right he started one of his dives in deco according to his computer.

Im surprised it took him this long to get bent.

jonnythan once bubbled...

You can get bent above 30 feet, you can get embolisms above 30 feet, you can have heart problems and drown above 30 feet, you can get attacked or poisoned by sea life above 30 feet, you can get tangled in fishing line above 30 feet.. I think you need to reconsider this decision.

You can get eaten by a shark in 4 feet

Well.. As for me, My BOW was done at 70 feet. My instructor stressed that near the surface (first 15 feet) is the area that is most prone to accidents. Some because pressure changes so quickly in the first 33 feet, some because of divers having surface or near surface accidents. My recommendation is to get more training. Reading about articles are one thing, Knowing how to prevent accidents are another. Its good that you know your limitations, IMHO most accidents happen when people exceed their comfort levels.

On the plus side- you get a lot of bottom time out of an 80 to check out the critters and work on your bouyancy

scubacowboy once bubbled...

You can get eaten by a shark in 4 feet

:tree: From what I've read, 15 times as many people get killed by falling coconuts worlwide as from shark attacks! Staying out of the water and playing golf is no guarantee, huh?

dandydon once bubbled...

:tree: From what I've read, 15 times as many people get killed by falling coconuts worlwide as from shark attacks! Staying out of the water and playing golf is no guarantee, huh?

I want a quote on the source of your info...I heard that the ratio of people getting killed by falling coconuts was twice that of getting struck by lightning on a tuesday, which would make the ratio of this to sharks more like 35 coconuts to three sharks...

:bounce:

Back
Top Bottom