Why is DIR controversial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Regarding the comment about DIR divers being focused on the mechanics of the dive, and not on the diving . . .

Right after you get your provisional in Fundies, you get very mechanics-focused. You've just had your nose rubbed in what you can't do, and for a while, it's pretty easy and desirable to spend your time underwater trying to fix the problems. What's really important, in MY personal opinion, is to get past that. Eventually, you have to remember why you went underwater in the first place (if you know) or what you first found there that was joyous enough to keep doing it.

The DIR divers I dive with love the life in Puget Sound, and are as excited as you could ask for when they find a big octopus, or an unusual nudibranch. I guess the difference may be that, on the dives where you don't find much of anything except seal-generated silt, we can amuse ourselves doing S-drills and critiquing one another's trim :)

Actually all the DIR skills and stuff that we practice crawling around in the silt in cove 2 is what makes the other dives so much fun. I don't worry about my gas, I don't worry about my buddy's gas, don't worry about OOAs or free flows, I'm neutrally buoyant conserving energy, I can put myself exactly where I want to go without thinking about it, and the bulk of my conscious awareness is just on peering in holes looking for critters. If I didn't like looking for critters, recreational diving would be extremely boring right now because I've basically got all those mechanics down.

lamont:
Actually all the DIR skills and stuff that we practice crawling around in the silt in cove 2 is what makes the other dives so much fun. I don't worry about my gas, I don't worry about my buddy's gas, don't worry about OOAs or free flows, I'm neutrally buoyant conserving energy, I can put myself exactly where I want to go without thinking about it, and the bulk of my conscious awareness is just on peering in holes looking for critters. If I didn't like looking for critters, recreational diving would be extremely boring right now because I've basically got all those mechanics down.

Bingo!

Of course... add a stage bottle and deco or cave navigation and all those things creep back back onto your radar screen. I know it took me a number of tech dives (10?)before I was really looking at critters again. Haven't really gotten there with only 3 cave and 2 cavern dives post class.

rjack321:
Bingo!

Of course... add a stage bottle and deco or cave navigation and all those things creep back back onto your radar screen. I know it took me a number of tech dives (10?)before I was really looking at critters again. Haven't really gotten there with only 3 cave and 2 cavern dives post class.

Yup, but at some point the tech 2 / cave 2 skills are down pretty well pat and then what do you do? You can always find ways to tweak and tune and improve skills on every single dive, but the payoff starts getting really marginal after awhile... There had better be some other reason why a person is diving other than to just become a better diver...

lamont:
Yup, but at some point the tech 2 / cave 2 skills are down pretty well pat and then what do you do? You can always find ways to tweak and tune and improve skills on every single dive, but the payoff starts getting really marginal after awhile... There had better be some other reason why a person is diving other than to just become a better diver...

I dunno man, Tech 3 or RB80? Tough decision.

I was really amazed at what we saw at ~145-162' on Sares last Sunday. at least 5 sailfins and 6 decorrated warbonnets, a big tiger rockfish and a huge scenescent oct. 2.5x basketball all out in the open - barely breathing which is kinda sad. All in 20 mins BT

I have a hunch I have plenty to keep my busy within tech1 and cave1 limits for a long time.

rjack321:
I dunno man, Tech 3 or RB80? Tough decision.

do they teach tech 3? i know there's a course description, but i've never seen it taught or heard of anyone getting a c-card.

personally i wouldn't be going to tech 3 depths without an rb80 (although if i ever decide to start doing dives that deep it'll be [another] clear indication of mental issues...)

namabiru:
Oh god, a whole carload of koolaid-ed up divers... stay off the road, kids!!!

The hard part is figuring out who is going to drive the backup car with all the redundant car parts.

Jasonmh:
The hard part is figuring out who is going to drive the backup car with all the redundant car parts.

We will also need team members in each car keeping track of time, distance, gas mileage, and be the radio operator.

lamont:
do they teach tech 3? i know there's a course description, but i've never seen it taught or heard of anyone getting a c-card.

Some of the guys on the Britannic expedition got a Tech 3 card out of that. I think that's about it. Part of the problem with Tech 3 (and Cave 3) is that by the time someone has the experience to take those courses, they've already done the dives. Chris in Mexico said that GUE is thinking of re-writing the courses because of that reason.

I read about Peter Steinhoff's experience with Cave 3 and it seemed to be more of a experience type course where you planned and executed a series of pretty extreme dives and you had the cave instructor basically making sure that the procedures were done in a safe manner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom