Why is diving the magic cure for sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I get sea sick. All the time.
My normal trips I take a Dramamine the night before a trip and then that morning. Our typical trips are 2 1/2 hours to Catalina, diving and 2 1/2 hours back. Totalling about 12 hours.

If I've done my Dramamine right and seas are OK, I'm Ok to queasy by the time we get to the island but as soon as I dive, I'm fine and don't get sick for the rest of the day. Even the trip back.

What is it about getting in the water that erases the sea sick for the day? Does anyone know?

I ask because this weekend we went to Santa Barbara island, about a 5 1/2 hour trip and I was over the rails from 4:30am to about 8am. I never thought I was going to make it back. I had to skip the first dive I was so weak and tired but made it in for dives two and three and felt great the rest of the day. Even on the long trip back. Seas weren't too bad that day either.

Thanks

Nay:
I'm Ok to queasy by the time we get to the island but as soon as I dive, I'm fine and don't get sick for the rest of the day. Even the trip back.

What is it about getting in the water that erases the sea sick for the day? Does anyone know?

lucky you... once i get seasick, if i can crawl into the wtaer i usually feel good, but
then upon exit, i feel like death out of the water, in the boat, on the trip back,
and up until we hit calmer waters

consider yourself lucky

Best medicine for seasickness is to avoid the water! :wink: Beyond that if you have to go on a boat, keep the horizon in sight, stay out of diesel fumes (that one is the killer for me), keep yourself occupied, chatting and the like. Not sure of any other solutions beyond the pills except the patch which is supposed to last for 2-3 days but is doctor prescribed or travel bands which put pressure on a certain point on your wrist and seem to work for some folks.

The immersion thing is only good if you are checking out the horizon, it also allows your body to move in the same motion as the water instead of amplified by the rocking of the boat. I have been sick in surge and also near the bottom after dropping in from feeling queasy up top without being sick whilst in the open air only for it to happen through my reg UW. However i dont have the cast iron stomach of Andy :wink:

H2Andy:
lucky you... once i get seasick, if i can crawl into the wtaer i usually feel good, but
then upon exit, i feel like death out of the water, in the boat, on the trip back,
and up until we hit calmer waters

consider yourself lucky

Interesting. Most of the people I boat dive with are the same, OK after getting in the water. Don't you hate people who don't get sick? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom