Why is there a snap on the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you keep the double ender when you DON'T need to clip off the primary?

I usually keep one on each chest D-ring. Plus a third one on the spool. The extra(s) cover the whoops or are used for clipping off or lifting treasures. Between dives, one holds my primary while the other holds my wrist gauges.

And they also work well as a tank banger if you need it. (I had to look and make sure I hadn't stumbled into one of those "special" forums.)

I don't even notice the clip on my reg anymore until I need it. A small clip doesn't weight that much.

Connecting his tank bangers to his tank light. . .
Actually, the dangling snap IS the noisemaker. Every time I roll left-down, the snap clanks against the second-stage body and lets my buddy know I'm there.:giggle:

Arrrr! Talk Like a Priate Day be Today, Mateys!

-Bryan

Actually that is lighter, and I have wondered the same thing. That clip could be irritating.

More than irritating. It seems like the last thing you want on your reg is something to catch line or whatever.

And they also work well as a tank banger if you need it. (I had to look and make sure I hadn't stumbled into one of those "special" forums.)

Are you calling the SI special? :)

This won't help Din users. I use a yoke 1st stage and 5' long hose.

I've put a 1" ss split ring on the yoke body, and when hanging or transporting my regs (not wearing them, and not travel, where they're coiled in a reg bag) I clip the bolt snap to the yoke split ring. Think of carrying stuff onto the boat from your car, etc. This prevents the second stage from banging on the ground as long as I've got the first stage under control.

It was a few minutes work to get the splt ring on, but manageable. I've had no problems attaching the yoke to tanks, just a couple extra seconds to get the split ring back out of the way while attaching.

Anyway, another use for that bolt snap. You could probably do something equivalent on a Din rig if you wanted to, but probably some would consider the split ring an entanglement hazard!

And it would make a great way to attach your tank strobe. :crafty:

More than irritating. It seems like the last thing you want on your reg is something to catch line or whatever.

Anything I have my face close enough to to get the boltsnap on my primary entangled in it, is something I am acutely aware of, and therefore am unlikely to get entangled with. If the primary is clipped off, I'd have to rub the front of my shoulder on something to catch it on the snap.

I have never found the small snap on my primary to be in any way annoying. It's easier to have it there and simply clip the reg off, than to find the double-ender, clip it into the loop on the regulator, and then clip it into the D-ring.

Much less of a problem than a second stage dragging 7' below you rather than being clipped off to a d-ring - or several double enders hanging off you for no good reason.

:eyebrow:

Definitely not irritating--you just don't notice it.

Anything I have my face close enough to to get the boltsnap on my primary entangled in it, is something I am acutely aware of, and therefore am unlikely to get entangled with. If the primary is clipped off, I'd have to rub the front of my shoulder on something to catch it on the snap.

I guess as always, conditions determine stuff.

This might be a function of where I dive, but monofilament is a real hazard where I have dive (pacific), and you just simply cannot see it. One of the whole reasons to use a long hose is to ditch your gear, so you can find the fishing line that's hanging you up. (Can you tell I never dove in a dry suit?)

How does ditching gear work with a drysuit? Do you just not pull your gear off unless absolutely needed underwater?

Back
Top Bottom