Why is there a snap on the long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a whoops?

That's when you are at 30 ft deploying the DSMB and the double ender decides it needs more bottom time. :D

I really don't think the snap link attached to the hose at the 2nd is an entanglement hazard. Nor is the weight something you will notice in the water. I adopted my rig because I have 5 sets of regulators with long hoses and just didn't see any advantage to going with 5 snap links rather than one double ender. Apparently in some circles, conformity is more important.

More than irritating. It seems like the last thing you want on your reg is something to catch line or whatever.
Trivial issue. Before we get into that, what does the rest of the rig look like?

What do you mean?
You could make the case that the little boltsnaps tied to the primary reg with caveline are an entanglement hazard (and I would disagree), but even that assumes the rest of the rig was squared away.

There are a lot of divers out there with the octo and console hanging down with retractors and half a dive store clipped off to their BCs that have a lot to worry about before getting into whether it makes sense to tie off a boltsnap to the primary reg.

Do a search on the term "hogarthian" to see what I mean when I say "squared away". That is pretty much the standard of streamlined gear configurations. (And OBTW, hogarthian configurations are probably where you are seeing boltsnaps tied off to the primary.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom