Suggestion Why is trolling ok in all forums except DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
Or, is it that DIR is a special "no trolling zone" where fines are doubled?

I'm mystified....

I never cease to be amazed at the things that I obviously don't have enough information about to properly understand....

Trolling isn't DIR so it shouldn't be allowed in the DIR forum. Makes sense to me..

cornfed:
Nice to see you, John. How are you?

Tanned and rested and freezing, thanks for asking. 8)

The only thing wrong with a couple of weeks in Mexico is coming home to the snow and ice.

I have some things to tell about from the trip but not in this thread. To stay on topic I'll only offer my thoughts on the trolling issue.

I hadn't realized that the DIR forum was more censored than others. I agree that the mention of DIR seems to draw an inordinate number of negative knee-jerk responses, many of which bear a resemblance to trolling, but in fairness the DIR acolytes have perhaps earned that attention with their obvious disdain for non-DIR methodology. I believe that is old news though, now, as many of the real DIR adherents have matured and settled into a comfort zone with their particular style of diving and it's the newly minted DIRists (particularly the DIR-F grads who are in fact probably a long way from being DIR yet) who are the most aggressive. Unfortunately the same can't be said of the anti-DIR set. It's the same few who persist in the brow-beating and one would hope they would learn from the old DIR purists and cease and desist as they are flogging a dead horse (the issue, not DIR).

I suppose this unrelenting kneejerk criticism alone warrants extra censorship just to relieve the boredom factor. DIR as a system is worthy of a fair hearing, at least equal time to any other system used in diving, and it seems fair to use whatever measures are necessary to allow that. Perhaps one of the reasons it does draw such ire is that it's probably the only clearly defined system we know of in diving. All the rest is just a vaguely defined conglomeration of ideas and current practices varying from area to area and group to group. There really are no other systems one can actually point to and cry foul. Is this ground-breaking initiative reason enough to single out DIR for criticism? Methinks much of the adverse feeling is seated in a wee bit of envy that DIR has established an identity for itself as offering a viable, well-defined and safe approach to diving.

And that, as we all say, is my two cents worth.

Respectfully
JohnF

JohnF:
Methinks much of the adverse feeling is seated in a wee bit of envy that DIR has established an identity for itself as offering a viable, well-defined and safe approach to diving.

I am trying _very_ hard not to express my opinion on the why there are some people that go out of their way to bash DIR and discredit and dismiss -any- idea or input by known DIR advocates. I swear... if someone like MHK piped in on safety stop discussion and said "safety stops are good", there would be a 1/2 dozen folks here that would start arguing against safety stops all-together just to be anti-DIR.

Of course DIR has it's share of the inane lemmings, those that don't have any real world understanding/experience and try to influence by preaching from tomes they have no true understanding of.

I, however, have yet to see a DIR advocate post something they don't agree with, specifically to draw out those that disagree for their own entertainment. The inverse I have seen plenty of times, where someone throws out something specifically to see what DIR advocate will bite the hook and get upset.

O-ring:
Trolling isn't DIR so it shouldn't be allowed in the DIR forum. Makes sense to me..
That is quite possibly the easiest and simplest one line explanation I have ever seen

Lawman:
Standing next to a lawyer while being sentenced doesn't mean you know
anything about lawyers or the law.

What is it that you folks do?

I spend too much time with lawyers in business and on the golf course to be awed by their conversational skills. But then I came to an accommodation with most of the local lawyers years ago, the advantage of small town life. We have a tacit agreement to respect each others' strengths and weaknesses. All I ask from my lawyers is competence with the law and to not question my handicap claims.

As for intellectual capacity, I bow to the obvious advantage most lawyers have over me, but then I tend to consider many people intellectually superior to me. One of the smartest (in a worldly and formal sense) people I've ever known was a cop. My own wife is away at this very moment meeting with the administration of a major utility negotiating for 6 months of her time to help them interpret and implement some new federal legislation. She is a high school graduate. Next week she is doing a seminar for local lawyers to explain some other recent legislation to their clients.

Pretty much the only problem I have with lawyers collectively is their apparent sense of superiority. Fortunately it's usually a facade that most can drop when with friends. That's when they start to act human and even become likeable. In fact, my best friend is a lawyer, the senior partner in the biggest law firm in the county and a rather well-respected authority on municipal law, but I've learned not to hold it against him. I even let him beat me at golf. 8)

JohnF

Big-t-2538:
That is quite possibly the easiest and simplest one line explanation I have ever seen

I suppose the corrolary is true also. Some one is DIR so therefore they aren't trolling.

chrpai:
I suppose the corrolary is true also. Some one is DIR so therefore they aren't trolling.
Oh man...this is getting better and better by the minute...I guess all your questions have now been answered regarding trolls?

Spectre:
I, however, have yet to see a DIR advocate post something they don't agree with, specifically to draw out those that disagree for their own entertainment. The inverse I have seen plenty of times, where someone throws out something specifically to see what DIR advocate will bite the hook and get upset.

I agree with what you say, but in fairness, I have seen posts that were obviously intended to inflame and draw a reaction from the anti-DIR contingent. One can speak a truth in such a way as to be argumentative. One can only wish that everyone would give everyone else a fair opportunity to state their case or their preference, and then, if warranted, offer a fresh criticism thereof, rather than rehashing tired cant, and that others would refrain from inciting arguments for the sake of arguing. It only obscures the DIR message, and accordingly should be avoided, and likewise ignored, by DIRists.

JohnF

O-ring:
ROFLMAO That's the best explaination I've seen yet!

The other corollary... If we are not allowing trolling since it isn't DIR, shouldn't chrpai be disallowed from participating in the DIR forum because he isn't DIR?

I am amused by the rec.scubaboons hounding MHK though. It cracks me up. It's like Einstein being chased down by a troop of nature's "D" students. I have this mental image of a bunch of drooling, knuckle-dragging Quasimodo types chasing MHK around the streets of CA and it makes me laugh so hard I want to throw the heck up..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom