Suggestion Why isn't there a "Men's Forum"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought we no longer identified gender... Aren't we supposed to use the term "ze" instead of he or she according to a growing trend on university campuses. :rolleyes:

:popcorn:
OH man, I am so glad I don't live near any places like that.

If men need to deal with periods, pregnancies, post-partum issues, hysterectomies, hormonal changes, etc. and need to figure out how they affect their diving and how other people deal with them, then maybe men would need a men's forum. Women's unique issues weren't well represented before the women's forums without people filtering through them who may not have been interested or people just posting jokes or lewd comments diluting serious responses. Just as a lot of unisex equipment appears to be based on male proportions, not everything applies the same way to females, especially those who identify with some of what I've written above.

Besides, dealing with long hair, keeping bangs out of your mask, nailpolish that chips less, and waterproof makeup that stays on can be valid issues too. :wink:

The women's forums aren't women only, btw, and men's opinions are generally accepted and appreciated.

Men have been saying for centuries that women are more complicated.

Most of us revel in our simplicity.

Have you been drinking?

Nope.

As long as women hide behind fences and play in safe areas then they are undermining everything they have been fighting for. Yes, men don't always play nice. There is sexism. There is misogyny, yes there is chauvinism, but that same dysfunctional behaviour some men show to women they also show to each other.... Women are not special that way! If women want to be a part of that social system then they should not be hiding from it. Excluding men or avoiding interacting with them seems quite counter-productive to the emancipation of women, to my way of thinking.

So, again... why do we need a woman's forum?

Most women face issues in this male dominated sport that most men don't. Also, because of the smaller amount of female divers, they have proportionately fewer resources for information.

If I have a problem with a p valve I can pick up the phone and call any number of male divers I know for an answer. Women don't always have this luxury.

Creating a safe space for them to be able to reach out for answers is no different from the Green Zones we have for newbies, for many of the same reasons.

I also use this area as a resource for me. When I get female students I send them a link to that forum because I know they aren't going to be comfortable asking me about a lot of this stuff. Guys? Try get them to stop talking about it.

Because they want one.
And that's kind of the bottom line.

I'm not much for men's or woman's only things in general unless there is a really really good reason, especially if they formally/officially exclude half the planet or create divides where there shouldn't be one. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about this forum. But the forum is not "Women's Only." It's "Women's Perspectives." And there are certainly a fair number of topics that apply only or mostly to woman. Just as there are some that apply specifically to men.

It's a big board. Forums serve several purposes including helping people find things and just organizing it a bit. Isn't there still a process to follow if you want a new forum? If someone wants a "Men's Perspectives" forum, follow the process and get one made. If not, why whine? (I think it would be a good idea, or at least an interesting experiment. I'm guessing there are more female than male specific topics in diving - aside from the obvious, partly for historical reasons - and this is why no one has bothered. Or maybe some of the other suggested reasons. :wink:

I don't recall the details of when the Woman's forum was created. I imagine there was a fair amount of agonizing over the name. I'm actually not crazy about the name, as it might appear to discourage men's perspectives on woman's topics - which can be helpful, interesting, funny, or whatever. (And sometimes not, but the TOS and rules should cover that...)

Both men's and womens forums are important for parents of opposite gendered kids to learn: for example all the Dad's who want to get their daughters diving, and Mom's with son's. The rule can be that topics may be gender specific but the posters and commenters should not be limited nor derided for gender.

Nope.

As long as women hide behind fences and play in safe areas .... Excluding men or avoiding interacting with them..

There is no fence. Its not women only; it's perspectives. Look, you'll see men post there frequently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom