Why Kydex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigWhiteSquare:
Why did you choose to make your lightweight backplate from Kydex instead of aluminum like other manufacturers? What are the advantages?

Frank

Good question, thanks for inquiring.

Kydex, even when reinforced with the 16 gauge SS reinforcements is lighter than AL out of the water, and is less negative in the water.

Kydex will not corrode.

Kydex is much "tougher" than ABS, i.e. it will bend not fracture unpreditably.

Kydex is slightly flexible, that can be an advantage when using little or no exposure suit.

Kydex is simple to debur / radius with hand deburring tools.

Tobin

The Kydex plate is like WOW! I have had double E7-130s on that frame and it's just perfect. The fit and finish are simply the best that I have seen in the industry, bar none. FWIW, I bought my plate from Tobin BEFORE he started advertising with us. I use his SS plate for singles, and the Kydex for doubles. Simply wonderful.

Personally, I think the selling point of these plates is not the kydex but rather the way they are cut. Or at least that is what I am hoping. My SS DSS plate has super comfy bend angle and well placed webbing slots (no need to burn a hole on the webbing). Presumably these features are carried over to the lighter weight plates from DSS (kydex or whatever material). I went from a DSS SS plate to an aluminum plate from another brand. I miss my DSS plate.

Tobin, do you offer financing? :)

Ben, maybe we can setup a co-op for a DSS kydex plate.

Ben_ca:
How much flex with the doubles?
Nothing really noticeable. In fact, whether I have bouble 72s, 95s or these beastly 130s, is is simply ROCK SOLID. As was mentioned, they feel far better on my back than the other plates that I own. In addition to the two DSS plate that I use predominately, I also own an aluminum, an ABS and a wickedly heavy SS. I should probably e-bay them.

divemaster_jim:
Hey Tobin,
Quick question,
Would you consider Kydex superior to aluminum?
thanks.

Jim,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The differences between Kydex an aluminum was the topic of my first post.

Tobin

Ben_ca:
How much flex with the doubles?

Ben,

Flex is really more of an issue with singles, and singles are pretty light.

In doubles the tanks are the rigid element, the plate just provides a means of attaching the harness.

Tobin

Adobo:
Personally, I think the selling point of these plates is not the kydex but rather the way they are cut. Or at least that is what I am hoping. My SS DSS plate has super comfy bend angle and well placed webbing slots (no need to burn a hole on the webbing). Presumably these features are carried over to the lighter weight plates from DSS (kydex or whatever material). I went from a DSS SS plate to an aluminum plate from another brand. I miss my DSS plate.

Tobin, do you offer financing? :)

Ben, maybe we can setup a co-op for a DSS kydex plate.

Adobo, the geometry of the Kydex plates is the same as the SS plates. The key differences are the Kydex plates cannot accomodate the weight plates, and do not have the overmoled grommets at the harness slots.

Regarding financing: 100% down, and nothing a month :wink:

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom