Why Place The Inflator Elbow In The Center Of The Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I would get this gear other than previous threads regarding interference between the elbow and a first stage. Although some have come up with workarounds it seems like an unnecessary complication to position it there. twisting the tank and first stage to make everything fit seems goofy to me.

Only a **tiny** percentage of users ever report a problem, and the advantages of not having to twist to vent via the hose out weigh the theoretical problems. For almost everybody the elbow is above the tank crown and below the first stage.

Also consider that one must fully inflate the wing before it's possible for the elbow to press into the diver, and fully inflation is very seldom necessary. The vast majority of time in actual use wings are 1/2 full or less.........

Tobin

what he said. One of the common problems that will cause complaints is when people place the tank too low on the rig. They are used to the very low tank height encountered with normal jacket bc's, and don't move it high enough. Another problem is if you are using long turret first stages like the MK25 from Scubapro, or the Atomics, and the swivel turret is straight down. That can be a legitimate problem, however it is not the ideal position for those regulators to be in. Central inflator hose position is preferable for many reasons, though I don't have mine coming straight up and out, it is angled to head towards the shoulder strap

OK thanks. I do have a long turret first stage and this is the only gear I have seen where the elbow is not offset to the left shoulder. I'll have some thinking to do here....

Tropical Rec diver using trad setup, although toying with necklace alternate.

go to about 2 minutes in there and look at that. You rotate the first stage 90*, the secondary comes out of the bottom turret, and the primary and inflator are on the side and come straight down. Works incredibly well and is the most streamlined single tank regulator setup I have found. Have been using it since 2009

That looks intriguing. Thanks.

go to about 2 minutes in there and look at that. You rotate the first stage 90*, the secondary comes out of the bottom turret, and the primary and inflator are on the side and come straight down. Works incredibly well and is the most streamlined single tank regulator setup I have found. Have been using it since 2009

I need to do that second setup with my HOG D1.. Very nice..

don't you guys think DR's way, the hose will interfere the knob operation? It is probably not critical for single tank, but still nice to have the ability.

As for elbow in the center, I am one of the divers who will have issue. My tank need to sit as low as possible in a backplate to not have my head bump the first stage. Even withou my elbow, 1st stage hose routing touches the wing. With elbow there, I don't think it would look pretty. It is a very individual thing, and I have only known a few diver with similar issue as me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom