Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, but nope - nothing additional. I was there you were not. You can suppose all you want - but the facts are what they are.

I sit corrected. OK, you could get anyone for a buddy but with a DM there had to be some unstated assumptions there... like where the bottom is...

with all the $$$ people are spending on computers, why aren't they being made to be charged with solar? The less times you open the compter to mess with a battery the better right?

with all the $$$ people are spending on computers, why aren't they being made to be charged with solar? The less times you open the compter to mess with a battery the better right?
I agree about the need to avoid opening the battery case often. On the other hand, solar would require us to leave the thing laying out where it could get sun. On a live-aboard or other high dive frequency trip, that could make it vulnerable to theft.

Richard.

Eric,

I dive the Galileo Sol. I have nothing but the highest recommendation for it. Huge screen. Choice of well organized layouts including a "large number" screen for just the essentials (depth, time, NDL, PSI, Air time) or more detailed information. Extremely legible. Superb AI features and options--including the ability to set alerts for audiible, visual, both, or none! Best compass implementation I have seen on a computer (my beloved SK-7 now sits in a box). Because it is not color screen, I am at 100 dives and battery still shows full. Easily user-changeable battery (although it is a specialized type, but lasts forever). It does multi-gas nitrox, has a great and very fast three button control system. It runs the Buhlman algorithm and can be unlocked for trimix if you want. It has so many features it takes some time to learn and set up, but, during the dive, it is simple and intuitive in its operation. On the boat, gas changes are very easy if you dive different mixes on different dives.

It is a top line piece of gear and priced to match, probably 1100 new including the transmitter. You can find them used for several hundred less if you look around. It is one of those purchases that I have never regretted. If you have a chance to look at one (any scubapro dealer) I would check it out.

it is a big machine, not a wristwatch, and you will want to replace the strap with bungee (easy to do). It is not perfect for some people, and I am sure there are other good computers for less money. But, count me a very satisfied user.

Be careful of the color screens, they are not the panacea for everything. Some of them have small numbers, thinking the color makes them easier to read. For "over 50" eyes, not so, you still need corrective lenses. I can easily read my Galileo in "huge number' mode with no correction--size matters!. Also, in bright shallow water, or on the boat in the sun, color screens are very hard to read, even the best of them, which makes tracking surface interval or changing gas a pain. If you want an eye-opening experience, ask to take one out to the parking lot on a bright day and try reading it or using the menus. The "old tech" lcd screens are still much better in this regard. if your diving is deep, or in more limited vis, and you can find shade on the boat, then color has an edge.

Very good review, thank you.
I Know they are a grand or more, I've already been looking.
I would probably go with a color screen.
Do any of these download to an iPhone by any chance?

The Oceanic VTX is Bluetooth enabled and the IPhone works well with it.

Very good review, thank you.
I Know they are a grand or more, I've already been looking.
I would probably go with a color screen.
Do any of these download to an iPhone by any chance?

i was dissuaded away fro the Galileo by my LDS who sells them and dives one, only because it's getting long in the tooth and the battery is hard to get hold of (in my area)

I dive the Eon steel as does my wife, just come off a 30 dive liveaboard and it performed flawlessly.running 2 or 3 transmitters each It has a 30hr battery recharged from your iPhone charger with the supplied lead. Doesn't have Bluetooth I sync dives to iPhone/iPad via Mac dive

having 50 year old eyes I had no issues reading in bright sunlight however PDC are personal things. I reviewed mine in computer forum

ITYM why not make them charged via USB: then you can just buy a goal zero solar charger plus have other charging options. The answer is some do, e.g. H3.

There are trade-offs. With a user-replaceable rechargeable battery you can swap in a fresh one in a few seconds as opposed to hours of charging. Exposed USB contacts will corrode, esp. if there's current leak on them in salt water. Rechargeable batteries don't last forever, at some point you have to replace them anyway (or the entire computer).

OTOH with a factory-sealed battery compartment you won't flood it. You have a greater choice of battery size and shape which affects the entire DC body: with stock replaceable ones you're pretty much looking at AA, CR123: 18650 and larger are too big and you won't get much runtime out of AA or smaller (not to mention you'll likely want 3V rather than 1.25). So you have to design the body around the battery compartment, at least more so than if you can choose/make a custom battery pack that fits in what you have.

PS: I have a casio solar watch that works as long as I keep it on the windowsill. I doubt you can make a usable DC whose screen is a solar cell... unlike a watch with analog hands.

I would think a solar cell, would be useful to just extend the battery life, not completely eliminate the eventual need - or capability to replace the battery.

I have a power block (charged by USB or Solar) for when I need to recharge my phone, tablet or PDC and power isn't immediately available. To Solar charge the block takes around 6 hrs

Given on a liveaboard I need to charge my camera, my iPad, maybe my Mac book solar cells don't really cut it unless the boat was covered in them, maybe with a wind turbine on top and hauling a water turbine :)

Back
Top Bottom