Why We Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I began diving in quarries but was quite happy when I moved to SoCal in the 60s and could dive where I really needed to as a kelp forest ecologist. As long as you enjoy and benefit from where you dive, that is fine. I see no need to justify my diving to anyone... but I find non-divers are often quite curious and I'm happy to answer their questions.

My experience got me a quote to answer them all;
"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand"

I am a regular quarry diver and I love it. For me it isn't about seeing anything, or any particular feeling. It is the focus on skills that draws me back every week. That way when I do get chances to go somewhere warm / with vis that goes beyond 20 feet everything is automatic and I can just enjoy the views. I figure if I can dive regularly in mid 40's water with < 10 feet visibility when I go somewhere with better conditions I will appreciate it more. Last year I went and dove in Jupiter FL and folks were complaining about the 30-40 foot vis and I was loving it. As with many things in life diving is all about perspective.

This.

I dive in cold low viz conditions in NJ. When I dive Jupiter and people on the boat ask how the viz is I say great, even though it was "only" 30 feet or so.

Hoping to dive tomorrow . Going to be dark. Going to be cold. but it will be a relaxing zen moment to work on skills and play with gear. Can't wait .

I dive because it's a great way to get away from people.
If my mom were still alive you'd get along great.

I suffer from mental illness, diving is one of the few situations where the noise stops and I feel more "normal". I find being around people difficult. Diving and everything associated with it, servicing gear, reading about new equipment, dreaming about dive vacations, buying and selling gear all enable me, whilst doing, to be more "present". Participating on SB allows my interactions with people to be somewhat more controlled but allows me to have some connections. Maybe too much information...

Why? I started diving because my girlfriend at the time was certified because there was nothing else to do on the Pacific Atoll her Father was stationed on. She went back to school, I learned how to dive so we would have something to do the next summer. She left me then, but that was OK because I loved diving more that her anyway.

sometimes quarry diving is best available without dropping a wad of cash on flights / food / boarding / boat. only really enjoyable if you subscribe to the 'Don't care about where/when/how, I'm going diving!' mindset, and don’t have cheap and easy access to warm water diving.

Yes, but after 100 dives (assisting with training) it gets pretty boring. With inland lakes and quarry's the water is brown, the fish are brown, the bottom is brown. My first dive on Pennekamp Park was like what taking LSD must be like. Colors everywhere! Also warm enough to shed the wetsuit, though wearing a t-shirt is a good idea if you sunburn easily.

Yes, but after 100 dives (assisting with training) it gets pretty boring.

Still going diving though. not as good as warm water pretty fishes diving, but definitely better than not going diving at all!

speaking of, the GLWC black Friday event was a great time! 55f at surface, 55f at 60', 38f on the dock, and failed completely to build a fire in the wet nastiness, but guess what? still went diving!

I dive because its relaxing and its never let me down. The great feeling is always there.

Back
Top Bottom