Why we hated the Park Royal....and left for the Grand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IAnyways - now you might get the point.

I got your goat and you're probably pissed because how could anybody know more than superficial things about you without getting to know you and basing an opinion off just a few postings?

Sound familar? Ringing a bell?

Get it? :eyebrow:

I'm glad you were able to salvage your vacation at the Grand.

Fin, you wiley devil.....:eyebrow:

When I go to Mexico I want to experience the flavor of Mexico. You won't find it holed up in an all inclusive in the middle of nowhere. Mexico is traffic, horns honking, chickens squawking, dogs barking, vendors hawking, people whistling, shoddy construction, cracked concrete, and peeling paint. Anyone who expected otherwise didn't do much research into Mexico.

If I wanted peace and quiet in a secluded environment, I would have looked at a map and not booked a hotel near downtown. I am very surprised that one who lives in an urban setting and has lived in third world countries would have such a low tolerance for distractions. Most people who live in a noisy environment become deaf to the noise. I barely notice the city sounds when I am there and I am oblivious to the street vendors. Of course, I just keep walking (maybe say no gracias if I'm alone but don't bother to interrupt a conversation if I am not) and don't try to respond to their pitches with witty remarks. I was there a month ago with a guy who kept doing that, kept stopping to prove their stuff was overpriced junk, and I'm like, stop wasting our time, they don't care.

And if I can't sleep because a phone down the hall is ringing or a dog is barking, I figure I'm not tired enough to sleep. When I am, I could sleep in the middle of a marching band. I agree with Christi, light sleepers should carry ear plugs.

Wow. I would've thought a scooter rental would've been a good way to get around fast & easy and take a look at things. What's the big danger with renting a scooter in Cozumel (I might make a dive trip there someday with my wife & a friend of ours, so I'd like to know!).

Richard.
Scooter injuries are by far the most common reason for hospital trips for gringos on the island, possibly more than all the rest put together. In the past few years I have had one friend killed and two more seriously injured on scooters in Mexico. My brother had three crackups on scooters before he was not allowed to ride them any more by my mom (he's in his 50's and Mom is in her 80's :D).

If you have experience on these machines, then maybe it would work for you, but most who rent them on Cozumel don't. Couple that with alcohol and you have the proverbial recipe for disaster. Traffic customs are different there, so cars may not do what you would expect, and with those tiny little wheels, a pile of sand on the road can send you flying.

Scooter injuries are by far the most common reason for hospital trips for gringos on the island, possibly more than all the rest put together. In the past few years I have had one friend killed and two more seriously injured on scooters in Mexico. My brother had three crackups on scooters before he was not allowed to ride them any more by my mom (he's in his 50's and Mom is in her 80's :D).

If you have experience on these machines, then maybe it would work for you, but most who rent them on Cozumel don't. Couple that with alcohol and you have the proverbial recipe for disaster. Traffic customs are different there, so cars may not do what you would expect, and with those tiny little wheels, a pile of sand on the road can send you flying.

Be experienced on a M/C, don't mix the alcohol (duh!), and drive very defensively. Stick to the less crowded southern part and you will probably be just fine (life has no guarantees of course:wink:) We had zero problems. If you don't have a good amount of experience on 2 wheels....I wouldn't risk it.

Our wedding attendees rented a half dozen scooters for the week and had no problems. It's not SO overwhelmingly different on Coz as elsewhere to ride on two wheels. Naturally, all of them own and regularly ride motorcycles so it is nothing like cruise ship grandma renting a scooter having never been pilot in command of a two wheeled anything before. All of our renters reported no problems riding scooters all over the island. Your mileage may vary...depending on your two wheeled experience level. I've put well over 100k miles on motorcycles on the street and racetrack and would rent a scooter without worry on Coz.

Wow. I would've thought a scooter rental would've been a good way to get around fast & easy and take a look at things. What's the big danger with renting a scooter in Cozumel (I might make a dive trip there someday with my wife & a friend of ours, so I'd like to know!).

Richard.

the big problem, other than the driver's lack of experience with scooters and then mixing alcohol... the roads can range from just okay to downright horrible! Bumps, called topes, are everywhere and if you aren't familiar with the road you may not see one. And then there are potholes the size of Montana. Also, people drive aggressively there, just like everywhere these days, so a car and a scooter fighting over the road are not a good mix. :( I have seen several accidents there, none of them had good endings.
you will never catch me, my hubby (who rides a motorcyle here at home), or my kid on a scooter in Cozumel. Not worth ruining our vacation.

robin:D

Actually, unless you try to ride off the streets (like go on trails), the roads are not "downright horrible". Many speed bumps (topes) which are usually signalled and potholes which you have to look out for.
Meaning you have to pay attention to the road at all times, but that's what any good motorcycle rider should do anyways, anywhere in the world (FYI, the highways of California were more challenging to me with the slippery surface markers between the lanes and the miles of uneven, striped pavement, that made me feel like I was riding a chain saw for miles and miles).

Accidents do occur and often have a terrible outcome, but that is the danger of riding two-wheels anywhere.

I didn't find the driving particularily agressive on the island (but then again I live in Paris). As far as I'm concerned, no point in fighting over the road, I just stick to my right or even pull over and let them pass, I'm on vacation !

I would however advice people to be extra careful on the malecon (Melgar) paved area, as it is extremely slippery (I'd even avoid it entirely when it's wet). Also beware of the wind. And the occasional crazy/drunk drivers.

As in diving, don't push your limits and be aware of your environment at all times. Learn the local rules and right of ways.
I agree, Cozumel is not the place to learn how to ride a scooter. But it's not that big of a deal either for experienced, focused riders (and singing at the top of your lungs while cruising the desert East side road at 8 am is just PRICELESS).

Afterthought : wear glasses, especially at dawn/dusk. Buuuuuuuugs !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom