Wife Got Me Off The Couch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomToro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife bought a Scuba package from our local Scuba shop and we're taking the class. If all goes well, we'll take our cert dive in Florida (Key Largo I hope).

I've been into Reef Aquariums since 1998 and have two in wall tanks presently. One 240gallon and one 135 gallon . I would like to see the fish, corals and inverts in their natural surroundings.

My 20yr old son went to Hawaii on a study abroad program (he scammed us) and said the snorkeling was outstanding so we got the bug.

Looking forward to getting good info on equipment and advice on whether I'm too old to start this hobby (53).

Tom Toro

Your tanks are beautiful!

And, I think your only as old as you want to be. I had three people in my OW class over 50 and they had a fantastic time. Go forth and get wet!

Very nice tanks. I could not imagine ever watching the TV you have mounted above the one tank.

As for age ... As long as you have no medical issues, I can't see why that would be a problem. I am 52 and plan to keep diving until I can't lug my gear into the water. Even then, I think I will bring my daughter along to do that for me.

On our trip to Bonaire in June, there was a couple that had to be in their late 70s diving together.

Have fun with your course.

Age is just a number, I'm over 50 just like you. If you are healthy there's no reason not to start diving. BTW, I see tending to fish in an aquarium as a hobby and diving as a sport. Congratulations in advance on becoming a certified diver.

Hey thanks for the good words about the tanks and warm welcomes. Looking forward to my new 'sport' :wink:. Hope it doesn't get as expensive as my hobby.

You are never to old, especially at 53. That being said, I am 52. I do a lot of cardio and weight work. Scuba has been described as the lazy man's sport....and this can be very misleading. It is physically demanding. Develop yourself a good workout routine if the couch has really been your place of greatest effort in the recent past.

Welcome aboard from another member of the 'over 50' club. I'm 52 and started diving 5 years ago.

You are never to old, especially at 53. That being said, I am 52. I do a lot of cardio and weight work. Scuba has been described as the lazy man's sport....and this can be very misleading. It is physically demanding. Develop yourself a good workout routine if the couch has really been your place of greatest effort in the recent past.

LOL! I overstated my laziness. I've been pretty active my whole life with cardio and weights every other day for a long time now. I have borderline type 2 so I have to exercise, especially the weights. Getting harder to build muscle these days for some reason. I was an avid runner for many years and last year blew out my ankle so I'm an elliptical guy in the winter and a bike guy in the summer. The challenge for me will be the 'equalization' part of the sport. My sinuses are notorious.

Welcome aboard from another member of the 'over 50' club. I'm 52 and started diving 5 years ago.

Thanks very much. I wish I'd started 5 years ago too.

Back
Top Bottom