Will a Special Ops SCUBA Master Diver Card make me a badass mofo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This course should be "taught" with Padi's Zombie Apocalypse diver and Reef Fish I.D. course ......so while you are waiting to use your underwater Ninja moves on the Zombies you can look at the pretty little fishes.

looks like they have hit on a marketing/business plan that lets us indulge our inner frogman. I may plan my next trip to Socal around a training mission 1. Looks like it would be fun to try something different for a change. Almost every male diver I ever met (and a few females) has a walter mitty dream about doing this kind of stuff. you can see it in their eyes and hear it in their voice when you talk about the underwater scenes in thunderball, sea hunt, into the blue (I and II, the latter was direct to video i think) and so on.

Are the skills practiced in the training useful-yes. Was any disrespect intended to our military-none that I see. Is this for everyone-no.

Like one of the posts says, this is entertainment, some would call it "experiential learning" or role play, which is a recognized method for training adults in various skills. I really don't think that anyone who goes through this would believe they are specops qualified, no more than someone going through the three day commercial diving experience in Houston would believe themselves to be a commercial diver. It fun. The market will determine if they are successful.

role play, which is a recognized method for training adults in various skills..

I like roll playing....:eyebrow::censored:......

Jim....

what a great idea for a course. It's exciting to have something original to breath new life into the industry

what a great idea for a course. It's exciting to have something original to breath new life into the industry

There's lots of good ideas. Who likes eating freshly made bread out of the oven? If you want to make it, it's usually good practice to have someone who knows how (I don't). Anyone want to take a baking class from me?

Even programs like 'Space Camp' for kids have people that have actual experience in the subject matter (NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center). You're best to learn anything from people who have experience in what you want to learn about, but perhaps that's just becoming a quaint idea nowadays... :)

2013 TRAINING COURSE DATES SEAL Adventure Dates Extreme SEAL Experience There are other camps available for people who want that sort of experience.

This thread is beginning to remind me of the debates that occurred in the 1980s with training offered and advertised through Soldier of Fortune. I recall a segment on 60 minutes about it. I don't think anyone ever confused that with training at say, Ft. Benning, GA

The Space Camp is a good analogy; Gleasons gym in New York runs a boxing fantasy training camp in the Adirondacks during the summer. Contact is optional as I recall.

Junior Lifeguards do much the same thing for aquatic lifesavers at beaches all over the country. The Aussies turn it into a serious national past time with their surflifesaving clubs. And the members of those clubs I met down there were astounded that all our beach lifeguards in the US were paid and not volunteers (its a combination of both at many beaches in OZ apparently, I am still trying to get my arms around the concept).

When I was in Australlia, I recall checking into a specialty that involved heliocasting into the water in full scuba, descending, and coming back on a "go-fast boat." It looked like a hoot, but it was just a little too expensive for me, especially given the exchange rate.:D

And recently in Hawaii I found one business with a Seal link and the boat to match About Us Didnt do that one, rented jetskis instead while offgassing.

Hope these guys can make a go of it. I am all for entrepreurship. I will probably given these guys a try if I can make it. After looking over their website it looks like a fun way to do some diving; certainly different than I have experienced (except for that underwater self defense course in hawaii which started out as a zero-grav self defense course for NASA.) Reality is sometimes stranger that fiction.

These guys have a number of ex-SEALs and SEAL Instructors. I'm sure the that the training would be both worthwhile and fun.

You are correct on all points. They do appear to have the best reputation for people seeking this type of experience. At one time the offered scuba training. I don't know if they still do. From their website it seems their training concentrates on "land" and less on "sea" or "air'

Back
Top Bottom