Will a Special Ops SCUBA Master Diver Card make me a badass mofo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the part I course. With my 12 year old son. It was fun. At no time it was positioned as "You are going to be ready to infiltrate the beach in Panama and kidnap evil dictator" kinda thing. It was only fun day to test your toughness a bit, learn to suppress your inner "fight or flight" response, stay calm under water without an air source and such. I liked it. I learned, for example, that I can stay under water longer then I previously thought and learned to fight the urge to breath. My son had some hard time with many drills which I think could be related to age and lung capacity. But I still think he learned a thing or two anyway. I liked the course and would recommend it depending on what you are trying to get out of it.

Oh, BTW, people in the course were in at least decent shape. Age (as far as I know) ranged from 12 to 41. I didn't notice anyone leaving disappointed.

I took the part I course. With my 12 year old son. It was fun. At no time it was positioned as "You are going to be ready to infiltrate the beach in Panama and kidnap evil dictator" kinda thing. It was only fun day to test your toughness a bit, learn to suppress your inner "fight or flight" response, stay calm under water without an air source and such. I liked it. I learned, for example, that I can stay under water longer then I previously thought and learned to fight the urge to breath. My son had some hard time with many drills which I think could be related to age and lung capacity. But I still think he learned a thing or two anyway. I liked the course and would recommend it depending on what you are trying to get out of it.

Oh, BTW, people in the course were in at least decent shape. Age (as far as I know) ranged from 12 to 41. I didn't notice anyone leaving disappointed.

Sounds like you had a good time. Thank you for the first-hand report.

That actually looks like a lot of fun, to be honest.

More fun to be had on the next training mission: June 11 in Los Angeles.

As a note: Extreme SEAL Experience is a GREAT program. That said, it is focused on land ops, shooting, and recreating the "Hellweek" experience. They do pool stuff, but nothing on scuba (currently). Special Ops Scuba has nothing to do with hell, or even bootcamp or extreme physical workout. Instead we focus on skills, mental and physical, navigational and tactical, and fun stuff like clandestine over-the-beach insertions.

Thomas
Special Ops Scuba

More fun to be had on the next training mission: June 11 in Los Angeles.

As a note: Extreme SEAL Experience is a GREAT program. That said, it is focused on land ops, shooting, and recreating the "Hellweek" experience. They do pool stuff, but nothing on scuba (currently). Special Ops Scuba has nothing to do with hell, or even bootcamp or extreme physical workout. Instead we focus on skills, mental and physical, navigational and tactical, and fun stuff like clandestine over-the-beach insertions.

Thomas
Special Ops Scuba

Thanks for following up on your program. Looks like a lot of fun.

Also, we can now announce a major update: we just confirmed that the June 11 Level I Training Mission Instructor will be a US Navy SEAL. He retired this year from active duty, so this is as up-to-date skills as you will get.

Thomas
Special Ops Scuba Team
Special Ops Scuba

All,

the next Level I Special Ops Training Mission is on September 14 in the L.A. area. We again have a US Navy SEAL as lead instructor. Come and find out what it's all about!

Best

Thomas
Special Ops Scuba Team
Special Ops Scuba[/QUOTE]

Lessee, I already have a Rolex Submariner, a Randall Dive knife, my wet suit is black, my mask has a black skirt, I have a GPS, sonar I take in the kayak, a radio, and a compass. Oh, and a GI 45 auto. I should fit right in.

However, I suppose my yellow Quatros fins will have to go.

Don't have any of the above but my fins are yellow. :)

All,

the next Level I Special Ops Training Mission is on September 14 in the L.A. area. We again have a US Navy SEAL as lead instructor. Come and find out what it's all about!

Best

Thomas
Special Ops Scuba Team
Special Ops Scuba
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately its the same weekend as the Santa Barbara Underwater Film Festival which is a Friday night Saturday night event. Maybe next time. Looks like fun.

no doubt that this would be fun for a lot of people. as someone who has some experience in that world in real life, i'd personally pass this up! The people behind look competent and it would give civilians some insight into what those of us who protect the herd have to do.

Back
Top Bottom