Will a Special Ops SCUBA Master Diver Card make me a badass mofo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm never dreamt of UDT work. Seriously.

I can think of better ways to waste money, and more effective ways to get training.

And I can think of worse ways to spend a weekend. Sounds like fun to me, and a good excuse to go diving.

And I can think of worse ways to spend a weekend. Sounds like fun to me, and a good excuse to go diving.
As long as you enjoy it. I would spend the entire time laughing uncontrollably at the "cadre" trying to pretend they are serious and that this is remotely close to how SOF really does things.

Hi all,

thanks for the replies and feedback. We always love to hear the opinions of potential customers. We'd like to clarify a few things.

No, we're not training divers to be special forces operators.

We are having a blast pretending to be special forces divers, and are role-playing scenario missions. We like to think of it as playing Call of Duty while not sitting on the couch.

However, we also teach divers helpful and no-where-else-to-be-found skills that are taught to combat divers and SEALs. A lot of these skills are mental, some of them are technical, others are tactical.

And, yes, most of the procedures and skills we teach are textbook - exactly as NSW does it; beach infils, de-rigging, room clearing, formation diving, navigation... all of it is straight from the manuals and the knowledge and experience of our SEAL instructors.

Contrary to what some people think, special forces don't have magic powers. They just train a lot harder, swim longer, walk faster, endure more and shoot straighter. That's where the difference is. If their swim to the beach is 2nm, we only swim in 1/4nm; if they hump 20km to the target, we only walk 2km. They shoot real bullets, we use airsoft pellets.

That said, the diving specifically has suffered in the SEAL Teams, much to the chagrin of some operators and old-school SEALs. As infiltrations have become more and more airborne, and operations land-locked, the Teams are dealing with deteriorating dive capabilities. Their dive training, especially throughout BUD/S is done primarily in San Diego Bay - in very controlled conditions (not the swims). Our instructors have been complimentary of our divers pulling off difficult navigation exercises diving in the open ocean.

We feel that our training missions are a very good glimpse at how combat divers operate. It's challenging, informative and educational. And it's awesome fun.

So, while we don't want to offend any real divers on this board, we think that any time a diver goes in the water and completes a task - be it explore a wreck, catch a lobster, or clandestinely locate a vessel and board it, it's the real thing. We owe that respect to the ocean.

Keep on diving.

Special Ops Scuba Team
Special Ops Scuba

Check out our summer promos!

As long as you enjoy it. I would spend the entire time laughing uncontrollably at the "cadre" trying to pretend they are serious and that this is remotely close to how SOF really does things.
absolutely ...i would be pissing myself ......

Special Ops Scuba

"...Once you’ve completed the training missions, you are rated Special Ops Scuba Master Diver..."

Does it mean that I can legitimately wear black dive gears without feeling self-conscious?

Does it mean that the dudes with PADI/SSI/NAUI MSD cards would faint before my awesomeness?

Does it mean that I don't have to wear a Rolex dive watch to pick up chicks in bars any more?

Discuss...

if you want to be a badass, do it like James Bond in Thunderball. This course will only make you an ass. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom