Will I be able to dive again after breast cancer & lymph node removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kccpa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I haven't even finished my chemo treatments for breast cancer yet. Let me explain my situation. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 10/1/04 and have subsequently had a bilateral mastectomy (both breasts removed). I had 23 lymph nodes removed from my right arm during one of my surgeries.

Does anyone know what the chance is of my developing lymphedema if I scuba?

My chemo should be done by March 2005. I have a vacation scheduled (which is the "light at the end") in St. Maarten for the end of May. Granted, I may not be feeling well enough to scuba at that time...but my concern is whether my scuba days are over or not. I haven't talked to my oncologist about this yet...but would she even know the answer to this?

If someone could point me in the direction of information resources regarding this I would appreciate it.

I'm only in my mid 40's and really NEED to have more scuba adventures to look forward to. But if that's not to be then I guess I'll have to become a premier snorkeler.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kathy

kccpa:
Hi all,

I'm probably getting ahead of myself since I haven't even finished my chemo treatments for breast cancer yet. Let me explain my situation. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 10/1/04 and have subsequently had a bilateral mastectomy (both breasts removed). I had 23 lymph nodes removed from my right arm during one of my surgeries.

My chemo should be done by March 2005. I have a vacation scheduled (which is the "light at the end") in St. Maarten for the end of May. Granted, I may not be feeling well enough to scuba at that time...but my concern is whether my scuba days are over or not. I haven't talked to my oncologist about this yet...but would she even know the answer to this?

If someone could point me in the direction of information resources regarding this I would appreciate it.

I'm only in my mid 40's and really NEED to have more scuba adventures to look forward to. But if that's not to be then I guess I'll have to become a premier snorkeler.

Thanks!

Kathy

Kathy, you may want to contact DAN Medical (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/) and/or Dr. Ernest Campbell aka ScubaDoc (http://scuba-doc.com/) about this question since in all likelihood the oncologist is has no knowledge of hyperbaric/diving medicine.

We're all pulling for you Sister! :thumb:

Take care,

Thanks everyone. I have found some information on the web. It appears that I shouldn't have any problems doing scuba. Actually, from what I've read...the scuba would be good for my arm. The compression is beneficial and would reduce the chance of contracting lymphedema. Yeah! My only limitation I think is that I'll have to be careful about how much weight I try to lift with the arm that had the lymph node surgery. Easy! I'll just have to ask for a little help from my buddy and/or dive crew.

Thanks again for all your well wishes. My chemo is going very well...my next one is on this coming Tuesday. Then I'll only have 2 more treatments to go. Yeah!

Can't wait for St. Maarten! I may have a G.I. buzz cut by then but I can live with that...that's for sure! I'll be ready to celebrate...big time!

Best to you all,

Kathy

kccpa:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Kathy

Kathy!
I am a stage 3 breast cancer survivor and a professional underwater photographer!!
So there is your answer!!!

This past November was 4 years since surgery, chemo & radiation (oh - and by the way I am better than I ever have been!) I also had lymph node removal and DID get lymphodema 4 months AFTER I completed all my treatments. I did dive with lymphodema, and I have to tell you, my arm felt really good while it was u/w! Partial treatment for lymphodema is a compression sleeve (I still wear one to fly as a precaution & it does really help!) so I don't know if the wetsuit acted as a compression sleeve or what - I just know it was pain free when I was u/w. I no longer have lymphodema - my oncologist is quite amazed, because usually it is for life. I lost weight and got healthy 18 months ago, excercised my arms & had lymphatic massage treaments and that is what took care of it.
But back to the original question - check with DAN & your oncologist, but I make my living u/w!! Hope this is encouraging to you because 50 % of your recovery is physically through treatment & the other 50% ABSOLUTELY occurs in your heart & your head!
You know the greatest thing I learned about being bald? The feel of your lovers warm lips on your cold bald head!!!!
My very best wishes to you and I hope to see you here in Cozumel diving!!!
Hugs!
Holly
www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER of COZUMEL

Thank you Photocoz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How wonderful to "talk" to another who has had to deal with cancer and the various treatments. My cancer was stage 2 with one sentinenal node involvement. I did have a total of 23!!! nodes removed which is why I was initially concerned about possible lympedema triggers. So far I haven't had any problems with it but I do realize that it could happen at any time at any age.

I've had one chemo treatment so far and I'm on day 15 after the treatment. Oh my gosh...last night my hair just started to fall out. Right now, I can't run my fingers through my hair without getting a handful of hair. I'm considering going and having my head shaved tomorrow. Might as well get it over with.

I've been lucky to have a pretty positive attitude all through my surgeries (4 total). The hair loss is here and I'm ready for it...I'm set with my wigs (I have a couple in different colors) so that I can coordinate my hair with what I'm wearing. <laugh> No, that is NOT why I have a blonde and brunette...I used to be brunette but changed to blonde when my gray started to show...so now I can be both! :)

Yes, I will check with DAN and make sure that I can dive safely...hopefully I'll be ready by May.

Thanks again everyone.

Kathy

Hi Kathy!
I can tell by the different color wigs you ABSOLUTELY have the right attitude to beat this ! YEAH!!
I also had different colored & lengths of wigs and LOVED it! So did my husband!!!

And yeah, the shaving your head is a great idea - it is just so messy with all that hair everywhere! Now, they may or may not have warned you about your eyelashes & eyebrows - that is actually what I missed more than my hair!! There was nothing to frame my face, had to learn how to draw my eyebrows on, and bought false eyelashes taht I never even bothered to wear. What was good about the no eyelash, no eybrow, no hair (other than I didn't have tp shave my legs for 6 months!!!) was the fact I learned how to truly look at me! Not the facade, but the real me and the me inside and find true beauty within. So when you have a day (and you will) where you are not feeling like a beauty queen, look into the mirror, and into your eyes, then look within & you WILL see the most beautiful woman in the world!!! Then sit back & relax & dream about being u/w!!!! That is one of the BEST therapies available!!!

Hoping your day is good - rest & take care of YOU!!!
Hugs!
Holly

www.photocozumel.com

Just well wishes for a speeedy recovery!
Your attitude speaks volumes! Best of luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom