Will I be able to dive again after breast cancer & lymph node removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanted to add that I am in awe of both of your attitudes towards your illness and I wish you both well. My wife's mother and grandmother are both recent survivors of breast cancer! We will keep you in our thoughts but I have a feeling you (Kccpa) will be fine just like Photocoz! Thanks for inspiring me tonight Ladies!

HI!
Thanks for your kind words! So since I just can't keep my mouth shut.......... When I was diagnosed I was 37 years old. I will never forget the Dr saying. You have breast cancer, it is stage 3 and has probably been growing in you for 8 or 9 years. First of all, I was 37, in my mind breast cancer was an "old lady" disease! How wrong I was, what I found out is it is striking younger & younger women! SO>>>> how do we fight this? I HIGHY urge ALL women (especially if it is in your family) to get a mammogram at age 30 and 35. You'll probably have to pay for it yourself, as most DR's say wait until 40. But you will do two things - first you will have a baseline shot of HEALTHY tissue, so if there is any changes in the future, you have a comparrision. Secondly - you increase your odds of catching it earlier IF there is anything there. Are mammograms 100% accurate - no, but I believe in increasing my odds in my forvor as much as I can, so I see this as a tool that can help gain futher information.
So ladies - go get smashed! AND I DON"T MEAN WITH ALCOHOL!!!! Do it with a friend (or a dive buddy!!!) - it is much more fun! JUST DO IT!!!!!!!
Best Regards,
Holly
www.photocozumel.com

I am scheduled for sentinel node biopsy next week and had the same question. Did you receive any replies? My research indicates that you will be able to scuba dive. Check out:

http://www.lymphnotes.com/article.php/id/64/

I'm still worried about my potential lymphedema complications but it appears that scuba is not ruled out.

Hope this note finds you well and have fun on your dive trip!

I know I am late but I would have to say yes you should be GTG. So long as you are clear of the normal dangers of the Crab. I have a friend that is Been/going through Overian Cancer, I want her to dive, and she has the health and the spirit for it. Meeting her and knowing her has given me a whole new look on life. She has now to make the choice of try to make a baby (32 Y/O and 1st) and risk a premie or worse yet a still, or get a radical Hysterectomy removal of EVERYTHING. I did not mean to get mushy but you have my prayers. You are amazing, you who get the bad card drawn and say Heck no, I am gonna win NO MATTER what......
Aqua

I am also a bc survivor and avid diver. I posted on this in response to questions about breast implants and diving on the women's board a while back. I was stage 1C, but as I was 33 and had a grade 3 tumor, I had pretty aggressive treatment. I was presented with lumpectomy plus rads or mastectomy - chemo not optional - I initially had a lumpectomy and SN removal (would have had to have radiation), then chemo. Just as I was about to start rads, I changed my mind and I opted for bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction.

I dove about 5 days after my lumpectomy and sentinel node removal with waterproof dressings on and my doctor's blessing. I did not dive during chemo...but I dove again 2 months after my mastectomies and expander placements. I dove actively all through the time I had expanders, and then I dove again about a month and a half after I had my exchange surgery to put in my implants. Since I have had my permanent implants (last March), I've logged about 100 dives in cold and warm water, various levels of technicality and difficulty - no problems, but I carry Dan insurance just in case.

I wonder if lymphedema would be a concern - you increase the pressure on your arm/node area, so maybe not! No matter - ask your doctors - and be sure that they know that this is an important part of your lifestyle. In my experience, my oncologists/surgeons have been very supportive of my continuing a normal lifestyle. They love to hear about my recent diving stuff!!

My best to both of you (jdcloyd and kathy)- please pm me if you need any support during treatment. Keep your chin up - I know it sucks, but it IS temporary.

Also, for the rest of you, as photocoz says - the rest of you - be proactive!! Breast cancer is NOT an old lady's disease!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom