wing designs still lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why someone can't produce a wing thats tough as hell so we don't have to keep having these same old discussion's? Realistically... look at your wing... whether its a Halcyon or an Oxycheq or whatever... is that thing worth $275? No... It's a glorified inner tube with a deflate valve or two. Material cost is quite low and the manufacturing process is relatively simple. Some will point out that a wing is life support or something of that nature. I would argue that your car tires are as well. There's more to producing a car tire than a wing and you can get an entire set for less than $275. The Oxycheq wing is great, but there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to pick up one for $150 or less.

Why can't someone build a wing with a thick rubber, patcheable bladder with a tough outer shell that can be fully removed. It's not that imaginative of a concept. Take either of the popular single tank wings and put a zipper around the perimeter of the shell. All you would have to do to remove and/or patch the wing is unscrew the dump valve and elbow and pull the bladder out. And guess what... it would be the number one selling wing in the world period. Make a wing like that and anyone would happily pay $275 for it. You could even market underwater, patch on the dive kits and include that as a tech skill. Ok, thats a little far. Can anyone come up with a good reason for not making a wing like this other than that it would last too long? Put a cuff over the zipper to keep it from snagging something somehow (like my diverite recwings) and thats all there is to it. The process of adding a zipper around the perimeter doesn't complicate things much more at all and the addition of an inner bladder doesn't either. It would save you from having to coat (or not) the inside of the shell. It just seems to be the most reasonable step forward in wing design. I haven't researched the new Halcyon wing that much, but I did catch that it wasn't patcheable (can't get to the inner bladder) so it doesn't seem like that much of an innovation. I guess in a couple years, why I'm wanting in a wing will come out and then we can all ebay our 5 other "next best things"... or next best wings rather.

Until then... maybe we should start a DIY wing movement and see what we can come up with collectively. A couple yards of tough Cordura and some high quality rubber, cement, some heavy duty thread, and some TLC. We've started making everything else ourselves... why not the wing?

Please let us know when you product is available for a reasonable price and I am sure we'll take a look at it....

I just bought one from Aqua3. Has everithing you sad and it cost me 170 Euro. Model Pionir 30k:D .

I'm no good with a sewing machine (yet) and it would take someone with a lot more resources than I to produce such a wing on a large scale. There are several companies however that have the ability to do so. The thought of making my own wing is interesting though. The material for such a wing looks to be around $20 or so plus the dump valve and inflator/hose which I'm sure a person with the right connections can get those quite reasonably. Anyone have any good sources, please email me. Sounds like a fun fall/winter project. Come to think of it... my dad works for a major textile manufacturer... ideas... ideas...

Actually, I have thought of that already and contacted Dupont (I have some dealings with them) about the material you talked about. They are in the business of testing new Petroleum by-products and coming out with better stuffs...

Maybe I should contact 3M too... :)

Wonder what will be their reply? Go to hell? heh

:wacko:

I was planning on having a pile of wings turned out by now, everything's all set up, including the finished price of "about" $150.
I'll be meeting with the manufacturer in a couple of weeks.

You want a Kevlar outer shell on that? it'd be another $75 or so for the materials.

Bob3 once bubbled...
I was planning on having a pile of wings turned out by now, everything's all set up, including the finished price of "about" $150.
I'll be meeting with the manufacturer in a couple of weeks.

You want a Kevlar outer shell on that? it'd be another $75 or so for the materials.

Thats cool. Can you give us some more info about these new wings. Curiosity gets the best of me :D

I think halcyon just came out with the percect wing(eclipse) except for one major detail. You cant access the inner bladder. Oh well back to the drawing board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom