wing designs still lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis once bubbled...
If you are properly weighted, near the top of the water column or in a shell drysuit (which does not change buoyancy with depth) the additional material in the bottom of the wing unbalances you, and you have very little air in the BC.

It doesn't unbalance me. LOL
At the bottom, however, in a wetsuit you have significantly more air in the BC. This is also true with a full tank. This is where the problem comes in, because the air does not distribute evenly.

In this situation having more air in the bottom of the bc is most often a help, otherwise with the weight below the bc and the bc going up and the weight belt going down the apposing forces (being out of line) stand you up. In reality, the wing most often probably isn't full enough for the shape to effect the fore/aft location of the air.[/B][/QUOTE]

If you compensate for this by having the weight too low, then you are butt-heavy as you vent air.[/B][/QUOTE]

The only compensation needed to get most divers trim is moving weight up so it's centered with the wing. Pictura a beam. As the wet suit compresses buoyancy is lost alont the whole length. Air is added to the bc which is on one end (away from the weight). The end with the weight goes down and the end with the air goes up assuming the beam was balanced in the forst place, of course.
I found a significant difference in trim between the Oxycheq 30 (and 45; both have the same profile and I own both) and the Pioneer 36. I noticed it immediately when switching to the Oxy wing.

No, its not unmanageable, but IMHO it simply shouldn't be there.

You can change where you put weight on your kit. You can't change the bellows that are present on a wing.

I won't say you didn't notice a difference. If you wear a different wet suit or a different pair of fins you'll probably notice a difference also.

Back
Top Bottom