wing designs still lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be interested in a really tough wing if the price were reasonable. I'm sure you could develop a wing that is near indestructable given the right materials and construction methods.

Honestly, my Pioneer and Exploror wings have held up great and I don't really see the need for another wing right now. Yeah, I know that some people have had issues with the Pioneer wings, but they work great in my experience. I have not heard anything negative about the Exploror wings...maybe because of the inner bladder. If they ever do fail, I would consider such a wing or just heavily modify a commercial wing.

There is a brand new single tank wing from DR. I just bought it last week from Fill Express in Fort Lauderdale (they call themselves www.diveriteexpress.com on the web). I drove up to buy a BP/wing package. I had in mind the trek wing. I only do single but that USED TO BE the only option from Dive Rite. Mark showed me a new wing from Dive Rite called Venture.

It's a single tank 30 lb wing (not the travel wing). He had received it couples days before. It has the same construction design as other DR wings. It's an inner bladder covered with a shell. There is a nice zipper to get access to the inner bladder. There is no gusset/elastic system, the read dump valve is on the left side (if I remember correctly !). It looks more like a Oxycheq than a Halcyon. It is a rectangular shape with rounded corner. The bottom part is wider than the top part. I still need to use a STA since the wing doesn’t have one incorporated. Even without the STA is looks pretty solid attached to a tank with 2 cam bands. I’m diving with it Sunday in Key Largo (with the STA). I’ll post comment next week. Price is same as Trek wings.

They will be introducing it at DEMA. Looks like they let some loose early.

I've also heard about another manufacturer coming out with a similar wing style by DEMA....

Right now, I cant remember the name of the Manufacturer, but I think it starts with "O"...

Bob3 once bubbled...
I was planning on having a pile of wings turned out by now, everything's all set up, including the finished price of "about" $150.
I'll be meeting with the manufacturer in a couple of weeks.

You want a Kevlar outer shell on that? it'd be another $75 or so for the materials.

Seems like I bought the oxycheq too early.

A whole new load of wings are out in the market.

Eclipse....Venture.....Oxycheq.... and now yours...

What are you calling it? You got a naming contest?

:)

It's amazing and sad how hard some people are pushing the "O" wing... thats all some peoples' posts seem to be about regardless of the topic. It's on the verge of giving it a bad rep in my eyes... and I have one already (I love it). Brings to mind the bad taste a lot of people have in their mouths at the mere mention of the "H" brand. Try not to ruin a good thing. Pushy salesman don't last long in sales...

Just good thing to say about it but it would be nice to dive the Pioneer, the Oxycheq, and the DR Venture to compare them side by side. Anyhow, the Venture wing was great. Very nice trim with the wing especially since there is more buoyancy in the bottom part of the wing. The dump valve (on the left side) is easy to reach and easy to dump. Just the fact that it is an easy access inner bladder covered by a shell is enough for me to like it. I know I will never have problem fixing a hole in the wing if I ever get one. :) Also, by changing the shoulder pull-dump valve for an elbow this wing would be close to, if not, DIR as far as I can tell : No gusset, no elactic, rear LEFT dump valve, no shoulder pull-dump valve.

Does anyone know where I can find
some information on the DR venture.
A google search turned out not helpful.

The Venture wing has not been released yet by DR. They supposedly are waiting until DEMA, which is in the second week of October.

Look for it, and articles about it then...

Could be very interesting to compare it to the others...

We shall see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom