wing designs still lacking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmmmm..... the DR Venture wing looks like
a larger travel wing.....wonder if they have
any surprises in store to compete with
the Eclipse

I was thinking the same thing. I can understand Halcyon's prices... they cost a lot because these guys have to live of their products!

Halcyon customers basically fund the research, the dives, the prototypes...basically everything that rolls of the Halcyon assembly line!

I know it's a premium price... and I'm willing to pay it because I want to support them as well.

Now, if I can find a way to make my own wing... out of kevlar.. even better! :)

I'd love to have my Pioneer 27 wrapped in a Kevlar outshell!!!!! HAHAHA... so just in case a shark tries to bite me, I can hide behind my wing! :lol:

I'd love to have my Pioneer 27 wrapped in a Kevlar outshell
No sweat, doing a Kevlar wing would raise the price by only $75 or so. If ya want one, find 9 more people & I'll have some cranked some out.

The Venture appears to be a Travel Wing with the ability to be used on a backplate.
That's what I get for waiting so long to crank out my version.:mean:

Alright Bob... enough teasing... spill the beans.

Shape?
Bladder/Shell Design?
STA/less?
Lift?

And most importantly:
Price?
When will it be available?

Ben

Very nice trim with the wing especially since there is more buoyancy in the bottom part of the wing.

Bad Karma.

You don't want that if you dive Aluminum tanks.

Consider the buoyancy characteristics of the tank you usually use. An AL tank is "butt-light"; that is, stick one in the water and see which end floats up, even when full.

If the bottom is "larger", then in a horizontal position it will tend to have more of the air in it. This is not a good thing, as it will tend to make you butt-light in the water.

This, by the way, was my primary complaint with the Pioneer 36. It did this pretty badly with AL tanks. It was less noticable with HP steels, but it was a problem with the ALs.

The Oxycheq doesn't have this profile, and also doesn't have this problem. Surprise! :)

If you're designing a single-tank wing, IMHO you want one with a completely balanced profile. If there is adjustment to be made, make it through the provision of multiple grommets so you can choose exactly where on the plate/STA combo you mount it (up or down an inch or so should do it.)

Genesis once bubbled...

Bad Karma.

You don't want that if you dive Aluminum tanks.

Consider the buoyancy characteristics of the tank you usually use. An AL tank is "butt-light"; that is, stick one in the water and see which end floats up, even when full.

If the bottom is "larger", then in a horizontal position it will tend to have more of the air in it. This is not a good thing, as it will tend to make you butt-light in the water.

This, by the way, was my primary complaint with the Pioneer 36. It did this pretty badly with AL tanks. It was less noticable with HP steels, but it was a problem with the ALs.

The Oxycheq doesn't have this profile, and also doesn't have this problem. Surprise! :)

If you're designing a single-tank wing, IMHO you want one with a completely balanced profile. If there is adjustment to be made, make it through the provision of multiple grommets so you can choose exactly where on the plate/STA combo you mount it (up or down an inch or so should do it.)

These are general statement because so much depends on the weight of the person and ehat other equipment is used but...

Most divers who are wearing a wetsuit with any thickness to it are foot heavy at depth because they wear their weights below their BC and that's where the air (pos buoyancy) goes at depth and the suit compresses.

Even though an al 80 is tends to trim valve down the total pos buoyancy is very small and has little efect on the heavy rear ends of these foot down divers. Some corrective actions are to put some weight up near the tank and bc, move the tank up, make the wing more buoyant near the bottom and another is to lower the wing. Most wings are bigger and more buoyant at the bottom. Also note that the air is going to go to the highest point and the that expandable lower part of the wing won't hold any more air than the upper part unless the wing is pretty full and that shouldn't happen except while resting at the surface.

Of course some divers have really floaty bottom halves and need weight down there to hold it down diespite equipment configuration.

With my 36# pioneer, al 80 with two regs and an H valveand a two piece 7 mil suit, I only put 4 pounds on a belt. I put another 4 pounds on the upper cam band. For deeper dives ( I don't go very deep with an al 80) I move some weight even higher on the tank. I also dive my wifes 27# wing and my weight's stay in the same place. I can't feel any difference between them.

Well put Mike, I agree, most divers wear their weights around their waist, so a floaty bottom is not really an issue and larger wing size at the bottom is definitely preferred.

Ben

If you are properly weighted, near the top of the water column or in a shell drysuit (which does not change buoyancy with depth) the additional material in the bottom of the wing unbalances you, and you have very little air in the BC.

At the bottom, however, in a wetsuit you have significantly more air in the BC. This is also true with a full tank. This is where the problem comes in, because the air does not distribute evenly.

If you compensate for this by having the weight too low, then you are butt-heavy as you vent air.

I found a significant difference in trim between the Oxycheq 30 (and 45; both have the same profile and I own both) and the Pioneer 36. I noticed it immediately when switching to the Oxy wing.

No, its not unmanageable, but IMHO it simply shouldn't be there.

You can change where you put weight on your kit. You can't change the bellows that are present on a wing.

Back
Top Bottom