Wing help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cmdrjay1

Registered
Reaction score
Ok. I've decided to take the BP/W plunge, and have finally decided on the DSS rig. I currently dive a Transpac w/ Trek Wing. I have been happy with this setup, but my girlfriend needs a BC and is going to inherit the Dive Rite.

Why BP/W? I'm going to step it up a notch and get into some more technical diving (wrecks), so I want a setup that will be capable and flexible, whether diving cold water wrecks or cruising in the Caribbean.

I'm 5'10, 195 lbs. Most diving is in Northern California. I usually dive large steel singles:100-130s. I'll worry about a doubles wing down the road. Exposure: 7mm, but drysuit is in the works. I usually wear 20-22 lbs of weight w/ a 7mm.

LCD vs Torus wing?... I've read both sides of the harness argument and haven't really settled yet.

Thanks in advance, Jesse.

Cmdrjay1:
Ok. I've decided to take the BP/W plunge, and have finally decided on the DSS rig. I currently dive a Transpac w/ Trek Wing. I have been happy with this setup, but my girlfriend needs a BC and is going to inherit the Dive Rite.

Why BP/W? I'm going to step it up a notch and get into some more technical diving (wrecks), so I want a setup that will be capable and flexible, whether diving cold water wrecks or cruising in the Caribbean.

I'm 5'10, 195 lbs. Most diving is in Northern California. I usually dive large steel singles:100-130s. I'll worry about a doubles wing down the road. Exposure: 7mm, but drysuit is in the works. I usually wear 20-22 lbs of weight w/ a 7mm.

LCD vs Torus wing?... I've read both sides of the harness argument and haven't really settled yet.

Thanks in advance, Jesse.

Hi Jesse,

You have provided most of the info I need to make a recommendation.

Plate................. Medium SS Why? Cold water needs weight and the SS plate is heavy. At 5'10 your comfortably in the "medium" range.

Weightplates.......Maybe, more on that later.

Harness..............Hogarthian Why? Simple, Inexpensive, you are contemplating Tech Training. The single Piece Hogathian Harness is well suited for Tech, and is accepted by all training agencies.

Wing..................LCD 30 or Torus 35 Why? Your rig, if you choose to use the weight plates and a canister light could be around 28-30 lbs negative with a full tank, less with out the weight plates. I'm assuming your current wetsuit is about 20 lbs positive. Your future Drysuit may be a bit more positive. A LCD 30 would work well with your current 7mm, and no weigth plates, a Torus 35 provides a little cushion for your future configuration changes.

Torus or LCD? I'd suggest which ever one offer the lift you need. In practice all of our single wings with their narrow design are streamlined and vent easily.

Weight plates may or may not be a good thing for you. I suggest first determining your exact weighting needs, and where that weight needs to be located for best trim. If you determine that more weight higher on your body helps get you horizontal, the weight plates are one solution. If on the otherhand you find you can "trim out" with all your extra ballast in a weight belt, you may not need the weight plates.

Thanks your for interest in our goods, and thank you for providing all the necessary info about your current configuration and future plans. That makes my task easy.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tobin

Tobin,
Thank you for a very detailed reply. I'm sold. Talk with you soon.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom