Women's Weekend Getaways

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope the Port Townsend is August of 07. I'd love to come. I'm from Reno, NV and love the Northwest. Been in the "Emerald Sea" 2 times, the last in Feb 06. And since I've been there in Feb 06, I am not the "girly girly" type either.

Please - more info.

Yes the site is pink. It's not meant to be offensive, but I wanted it that color to differentiate from other sites.

I'm not a "girly girl". Oh, I CAN look fabulous in heels and a skirt...but I also rock climb and work on my own car, and have always worked in male dominated industries so...

What GirlDiver wants to get across is that "GirlDivers" are different from "guy divers". Not in EVERY way...but really, we ARE a different gender, and with that comes differences.

The phrase "GirlDiver" came from a very, competent, strong non-girlie female who is "over the age of 35" and earns her living as an ER nurse. So, if you're associating "girl" with weak...that's not it. And if "girl" seems too young, well, I'm not looking to get "old" anytime soon!

Now, does "girl" mean we're less intelligent? Weaker? Need to give our "power" over because we can't do things ourselves? Well, that would be TOTALLY AGAINST my mantra. If anything, I tend to get into trouble because I'm too "I am woman hear me roar"...not passive, weak or too fragile to do things myself.

So, is it ok to celebrate being a "girl" and diving. I think YES. That's why at the Girls Weekend, we'll have plenty of chocolate. We'll have massages and gourmet food. We'll share stories and thoughts with other women. Some of these about diving...and some just about life. And initially these are designed to be "retreats"....so while I believe we could have speakers on deco theory, that would be more of a learning vacation. (not bad in any means...and not out of the question in the future)

As for "when" these are...I have them slotted to begin in April and continue through October, once per month. Will be confirming dates and posting shortly.

Hi Cindy,
I really don't care what color it is. Much of my gear has pink on it.
I am an older lady diver and I hope I am still a bit "girly". I never realy was, more of a Tomboy, but I cleaned up nicely.:D
My granddaughter was cert. at 11 and is a true girly girl. She would love your clothing and loves pink. I don't know why some women make such a big deal of the issue.
I think your idea is great especially the massage. I travel and dive alone most of the time as I can't find dive buddies. It wouldn't hurt to be a little pampered after lugging all my gear.
"I AM WOMAN HEAR ME ROAR"

Happy Bubbles,
Valerie in Reno

I'm pretty much in the same camp as Valerie about traveling and diving alone. But I wouldn't mind going diving with a group of women. After we get back to shore we can be as girly or not as we want to be.

Well, I was going to say something about being a girly girl off of the boat, but I was just informed I am not a girly girl, but rather a tomboy. Hmmmm I really thought I was kinda girly when I'm not diving. I was just informed because I dive doubles I can't be girly. Men!! My b/f was making fun of me cuz i thought i was girly

Girls weekends are a must! Being a mom, I cherish a night away with my best friend. It is something we do about every three months. Our trips usually include a half day at a spa (usual treatments are seaweed wrap and a massage). Earlier this month, we stayed at the Delray Beach Marriott, dove with Captain Tony in Deerfield Beach, then had the most wonderful dinner & bottle of wine at Cafe Luna Rosa. The next morning, we ate breakfast and went home. No husband, no kid and uninterupted girl time...you can't ask for better pampering (or mental adjusting as I call it) than that.

Sandy

Alright, where is this place? Not for me but the wife, and does she need to be a baord participant to come? She will be done with her LPN finals by then and some time away from a jerk like me might be just what the doctor (Sorry Mrs. Lynne) ordered.

As a new diver, I must admit, I've been a bit intimidated by the testosterone I’ve experienced when diving. Then I showed up buddy-less for a boat trip this summer, and to my happy surprise, found that the DM was a woman, as were three of the four other divers. I had a great day, so I love the idea of a women’s diving trip.

As Lynne suggested, the opportunity to do some kind of training from a female instructor would be great for me – perhaps a seminar on basic gear upkeep and repair. As I'm a terrible cook (with no interest in self-improvement :D ), I'd sign up for that over a cooking class. Maybe there could be options? (Although I must say that a couple spa treatments here and there never hurt either.)

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to sign on to this trip – if all goes well, I’ll be dealing with a three-month old by then! Although I’m already going through major withdrawal, and our planned dive trip this winter is obviously off the table, I don’t think I’ll be ready by August. Maybe August 2008!

Amberjack:
As a new diver, I must admit, I've been a bit intimidated by the testosterone I’ve experienced when diving.

I thought this was very funny because experience has taught me that guys are forced to leave their testosterone on shore. On one particular dive trip, an aquaintance and I were the only 2 girls on the boat. It was REALLY rough that day. The swells were easily 5 ft. The boat shouldnt have gone out but all of the guys had all of the latest equipment, they even had scooters. We slammed our way out to the dive site and did the first dive. Needless to say, the oly 2 people who did the 2nd dive were the girls :D .

The moral of the story, dont mind the testosterone. It's usually an act. Guys that are humble are usually the best divers. Buddy with them...not the guy that is bragging that he has dove everywhere. :wink: just my $.02

girldiverllc:
So, just curious...women of the board...if you were to go on a girls getaway/retreat with diving involved...what kinds of things would make you feel pampered, refreshed, reinvigorated and wanting to return again and again?
This pretty sounds like a weekend with me when I lived up there in Kirkland. Now that I emigrated to south Florida and got married, I guess you'll have to find somethin' else.
Babes in Toyland on Pike Street in Seattle might have some non-diving substitutes.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom