WooHoo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For those of you whom have been in hiding all this time, it's safe to come on out now! It's finally happened, Solo Diving is not only formally recognized, but not you can even get "certified" in it.

SDI/TDI is now offering a Solo Diving Certification course. For more info check out the TDI / SDI website.

Your kidding? I know we all do it time from time, but to have a "cert"? I don't know, sounds like another one of those cards to stuff the wallet.

Eric

Anyone care to comment on the expected support from dive ops? Seems it's only good if they choose to allow it.

Question: To any dive operations (shop/charter, whatever), that presently have a no-solo diving policy. Would you allow it if the diver had a solo diving cert card, or would your policies remain unchanged?

I thought this was really to give operators the ability to say it's OK, and remove most of the liability from them, as well as the "buddy". Some operators have been doing their "own" certification of sorts.

Mike Ball Dive Expeditions in Queensland and Papua New Guinea has been offering solo diving for their guests.

When you board Mike Ball’s dive boat, you may request solo diving, and if you meet the pre-requesites, you may dive at your leisure, all on your own. To participate in their Safe Solo Diving program, you must be a Divemaster over the age of 18 years, or be over 21 years of age with proof of 100 dives. You must have a redundant air system, a ‘Dive Alert’ air horn ar similar signalling device, knife and compass. You will also be subject to a skills evaluation before you will be permitted to proceed.

Frankly I'm for it. No one should cry about a SOLO diver, and no one has to be responsible. This is a very individual choice. Precious few of those left anymore. This should put much more emphasis on whether the instructor felt the student was really ready, before signing off on the cert.

And as an operator, aren't they still free to refuse service? Like Mike Ball's outfit, just because you have a SOLO cert doesn't mean you'll be diving SOLO with them. Individual operators choice still counts, I hope.

99% of west coast operators will allow you to dive solo. They strongly recommend that you buddy up, but do not "require" it. They don't ask me anymore because most of them know that I prefer to dive solo. They will on occasion ask me to buddy up with a diver that makes them nervous. Which I don't mind doing from time to time, since they are usually nice enough to comp me the trip in return :wink:

Went to the TDI/SDI site but I couldn't find the course in question. As we are about three hours from any help on the dive sites we use until I get an idea of the training involved we won't be letting anyone solo dive here. You don't have to swim with a DM but you do have to have a buddy.

Maybe in the future this will change but until I know more about the level of skills and experience required to certify as a SOLO diver not quite yet.

Raffles

The way I found out about the course was through an e-mail sent by Brian Carney of TDI/SDI. In that e-mail there is a link that takes you it's standards. Hope this works, click on this Link

Mario, just curious, why do you think you need a certification to dive solo? I have been diving solo since 1985-86.

Well the course will no doubt train those whom otherwise may not have been 100% ready to go at it alone. And it will also help those whom choose to dive solo on charters that otherwise may not be permitted to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom