Info Words used differently by the public and scientists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a scientists, I'd say it gets a little dicey. Just because I say something is my opinion doesn't mean it's my considered scientific opinion or even whether I'm the right person to get a considered scientific opinion from.

I'll tell you a story from the way back machine, when I was in grad school. A group was gathered for dinner and conversation when the subject of why the moon looks bigger when it's near the horizon came up. I'd recently found out the answer, but the group as a whole was largely in support of some explanation that was bogus. It sounded lovely and definitely sounded scientific, but it had no basis in reality. Now this group were good scientists, they just weren't experts in astronomy or atmospheric sciences. Or Psychology, as it turned out.

(And if you're wondering, the moon looks bigger because near the horizon because there are objects you can compare it to. It's a classic psychology textbook example of an optical illusion. It has nothing to do with diffraction of light or any other aspect of physics.)

Trust the scientist if the topic is really in their area of expertise. But their opinion is no better than yours when it comes to questions unrelated to their specific area.

I have my own question on definitions related to the Internet usage of the term "trolling". Does it require an intent to cause unproductive argumentation? Or is simply raising a topic that is both highly likely to do and off topic for the forum sufficient?

Two sides of the same coin.

Some things of which you know with certainty are true are actually false.

Some things of which we know nothing about, and don't even know that we know nothing about, are true and present.
You and Donald Rumsfeld would hit it off.

Same problem.
1713990401884.png

Hi @tursiops

I added to my previous post. It is in Surface Interval under Non-diving related stuff. It is an opt-in forum, like the Pub, to be able to see and participate. Looks like you do not have permission to see this forum, no wonder you couldn't find it.

Hi @tursiops

I added to my previous post. It is in Surface Interval under Non-diving related stuff. It is an opt-in forum, like the Pub, to be able to see and participate. Looks like you do not have permission to see this forum, no wonder you couldn't find it.
In that case I'm glad I posted it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom