Workout after diving & air integrated computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, two questions... whats a safe time after a dive do workout? I NEED to get into really good shape again since my fleece suit shows my fat!!!! hahahahaha... no seriously, I know that being in better physical shape reduced the risk of DCS in general...

I normally jog for an hour or so, and do mild weights throughout the week.... I just started my AOW classes and I was just curious how long do I wait after a dive before I can do my jogging, or weight training?

2nd question... UWATEC Air X/Z vs. Suunto Vytec hoseless....

Do either of these 2 computers calculate air consumption as part of their N2 loading models? Is there any way of estimating workload/air consumption into N2 loading data on computers or tables? Thank you! :)

I'm new to this Board, but also have interest in this question. I did a two tank dive from my boat and pushed the limits of my computer without required deco-stop. My concern was the difficult and exhaustive struggle to reach my boat with a surface swim. Can this increase the risk of DCS?

In other threads here, I recall seeing info that confirmed that N2 loading is a function of pressure (depth) and time, not air consumption.

Therefore, I doubt that consumption is built into the loading models of either computer.

2Dive4fun once bubbled...
I'm new to this Board, but also have interest in this question. I did a two tank dive from my boat and pushed the limits of my computer without required deco-stop. My concern was the difficult and exhaustive struggle to reach my boat with a surface swim. Can this increase the risk of DCS?

Doc Deco has often commented upon the need to restrict strenuous exercise immediately after diving due to the increased production of gas nuclei, with the concomitant increase in the risk of DCI. I do not recall, however, his listing any preferred time limits. I will leave that for his next post. Over to you, Doc!

Dear Scuba Board Readers:

Post-dive Exercise

Since the off gassing of the longest compartment in recreational diving is 60 minutes under the analysis of the Recreational Dive Planner, that would give 6 hours as the time for unloading for recreational diving. Naturally, the dive computers will show uptake in compartments longer than this and in some cases of multiple dives, the longer compartments can on gas considerably.

All said and done, I would suspect that 6 hours post dive should be a long enough duration during which strenuous activity should be avoided.

Gas Consumption

This would relate to muscle activity and blood flow in a perfect world. In actuality, air consumption is more a factor of anxiousness and training than anything else. What is actually needed is oxygen consumption, but this is not easily obtained in an open and portable system. :scuba:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Please note the next class in Decompression Physiology :grad:
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

jplacson,

Congratulations on your motivation to get in shape! It sounds like you're commited to getting the work done, too.

Keep in mind that exercise makes us weaker, while our recovery from that exercise makes us stronger. Unless you're an elite athlete training for Ironman or some Olympic sport, you should have at least one day off each week.

Check out http://www.divefitness.com/html/workouts.html for some example schedules that are geared specifically to divers, and every one of them has off days for diving. I put a new set up every Sunday, too.

Cameron

Although not precisely what you asked, your water consumption NOT sodas, tea, gatoraid etc. is extremely important both when exercising as well as right before and after diving. Americans are chronically dehydrated resulting in numerous physical and mental problems which can all be avoided by drinking 1 oz of water for every two pounds of your body weight......MORE if you are exercising or it is hot outside.

I know of several dive instructors who have stayed well within the tables and yet got bent on holiday trips or vacations. The common factor seemed to be the lack of pure, filtered WATER consumed vs. the local fruit flavored teas, beers, and other beverages they substituted for water.

Although not precisely what you asked, your water consumption NOT sodas, tea, gatoraid etc. is extremely important both when exercising as well as right before and after diving. Americans are chronically dehydrated resulting in numerous physical and mental problems which can all be avoided by drinking 1 oz of water for every two pounds of your body weight......MORE if you are exercising or it is hot outside.

I know of several dive instructors who have stayed well within the tables and yet got bent on holiday trips or vacations. The common factor seemed to be the lack of pure, filtered WATER consumed vs. the local fruit flavored teas, beers, and other beverages they substituted for water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom