Would You Go To Bay Islands, Honduras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the OP, if it were me, I'd go. Take the nonstop from Houston to Roatan and visit coconut tree divers, you might decide to stay right there for your training. It's probably a little easier to quickly return to the U.S. from Roatan than from Utila if you get uncomfortable with the political situation.

I know from experience that $2400/month is no problem in the west end of Roatan. I'm sure that these days there are lots of very reasonable rentals available.

US Ambassador, Hugo Llorens

It is well known that Hugo Llorens is sympathetic to the coup leaders. Llorens was in charge of Venezuelan affairs on Bush's National Security Council during the unsuccessful 2002 coup attempt to remove President Hugo Chavez from Venezuela. He was also in contact with the Honduran coup leaders in the weeks leading up to President Zelaya overthrow.

Republican Connie Mack

An extreme right wingnut who suggested that President Obama should "fire" United Auto Workers (UAW) democratically elected President Ron Gettelfinger for refusing to agree to draconian cuts in pay and benefits for UAW members. By the way, his real name is Cornelius McGillicuddy IV.

Back to the OP, if it were me, I'd go. Take the nonstop from Houston to Roatan and visit coconut tree divers, you might decide to stay right there for your training. It's probably a little easier to quickly return to the U.S. from Roatan than from Utila if you get uncomfortable with the political situation.

I know from experience that $2400/month is no problem in the west end of Roatan. I'm sure that these days there are lots of very reasonable rentals available.

Sounds like a great trip and you did say as If it were you, But, if your going back to the OP then you gotta take into account he already bought tickets through Taca to Utila.
Either way If it were me I would go in a heartbeat and not need someone to talk me into it.

See, now that's funny.:rofl3:

Why is a thinly veiled homophobic attack from Roatan Man funny? Are gay men allowed to scuba dive or is it confined to aging neanderthal bigots living in times of yore only?

Grow up and drag yourself kicking and screaming into the 21st century you lot!

I can articulate myself and get to the point of an issue without resorting to sophomoric insults like you do. Roatan Man and a few others seem to belong in a bygone era and frankly it's pathetic.

I hadn't realised that ScubaBoard was full of so many fragile heterosexual male egos!

Last edited:
I too am from California and am now a resident of Honduras. What would I do? I would go as planned to Utila and dive my butt off. As I said before I live here and Mel is due back today. Most of the activity is in and around the major cities. You will not see that on the Islands. Which is a completely different would than the mainland.

The police have been beefed up as a precautionary step on the Island, but that was due to Mel trying to find an airport to land that was not blocked by the opposition.

If you have to leave the island, I am sure the airports will not be blocked for exiting.

As for a budget of 2300/month? That can easily be done on Utila, less likely on Roatan and living large on Guanaja, Honduras.

Some dive operations offer a program for divemasters in training, room and board for discounted training cost as you train and work at the shop.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom