Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it is worth I had a finger bitten by a moray eel in the Maldives recently. Not a lot of damage, one fairly deep cut near a joint. The doctor said anywhere else on the body he would put stitches in, but there was not enough flesh and the stitches were likely to pull through the skin. Any way he cleaned and dressed it, gave me a tetanus shot and scripts for antibiotics and vitamin C of all things. I took all the meds including the vitamin C as directed and wound healed far quicker than I expected. It seems there is some evidence that vitamin C aids wound healing.

It might be something to think about.

Hope yout toe gets better

For what it is worth I had a finger bitten by a moray eel in the Maldives recently. Not a lot of damage, one fairly deep cut near a joint. The doctor said anywhere else on the body he would put stitches in, but there was not enough flesh and the stitches were likely to pull through the skin. Any way he cleaned and dressed it, gave me a tetanus shot and scripts for antibiotics and vitamin C of all things. I took all the meds including the vitamin C as directed and wound healed far quicker than I expected. It seems there is some evidence that vitamin C aids wound healing.

It might be something to think about.

Hope yout toe gets better

How the heck did you get bitten by a moray?!

That is this Chinese stuff which everyone raves about, it forms a brown scab barrier on the wound, apparently it's amazing stuff.
I would say miraculous, at least according to the marketers…

“Die Da Yao Gin – “Based on Xie’s internal formula Qi Li San (thousand mile powder), this liniment is excellent for acute and chronic injury with pain, swelling or bruising, and for mending fractured bone.”

Die Da Yao Jing is probably similar to betadine. Stops bleeding supposedly, most empasis seems to be on using it for bruising and swelling. It's an old Chinese herbal medicine. Six of one half dozen of the other. It's got over a dozen ingredients including "twigs". 😄
It is similar in that it disinfects, cleans wounds and is red :) but very different in the way it works as it forms a scab almost immediately, seems to massively speed up the healing process and is full of chinese herbal extracts (who knows whether they are all good or bad?) .

Many of the locals in Indo use it and surfers (who constantly pick up reef cuts particularly on their feet) have been using since time immoral, I first used it in the early 90's and was annoyed when i could not find it in Europe as it was top of my first aid pack when surfing and diving around SE Asia in the 90's

You might dive with it and be totally OK. On the other hand....

About a onth ago I developed a blister on my toe, and it broke. No big deal, right? I treated it as I would any other wound, and I was not diving with it. It wouldn't heal. I happened to have a doctor's appointment for a different issue, and I pointed it out. The doctor had it cultured.

Strep.

I ended up with hard core antibiotics, and I had two weeks of pain before it got reasonably healthy. It still bothers me a little.

By the way, flesh eating bacteria is a form of strep.

Wow! Merely from a broken blister, that you were keeping clean and dry? Or were you keeping it bandaged and it was staying moist?

Not saying it was the case here but strep infections themselves can cause blisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom