Wreckmania #2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Natasha
No need to rent a car.
Airport pick up service will be handled by.......?

And what airport to fly into?

Originally posted by Dee
Are you sure it's a good idea to put TM and Pete in the same room :confused:
:mission: But don'tcha want to try to keep the jokesters corralled in the same area versus spread apart?

Do we have a choice of ground floor or in the air? If so, I'd prefer a room at ground level....stairs kill my bad knee!

But don'tcha want to try to keep the jokesters corralled in the same area versus spread apart?

Well...you do have a point. Beast can just handcuff you both in one room! :thumb:

Dee: I just called. That should not be a problem.
Mike: The room that has two double beds and in that catagory is also a ground level room.

Now for the airport pickup part.

I have learned from past experience to let people get their own transfers. Flights are late or early, and it's very hard to coordinate pick ups.
If you get to know someone who is driving down for this trip, and you ask them very nicely, they might pick you up.
Otherwise, it is 22 miles to the resort from Ft. Lauderdale airport.
If you do have to take a cab, by the time you get to know everyone on the trip, someone might take you back to the airport if you're really nice to them, and share your food!
I will call city hall and ask them if there are busses, but this still will be hard with equipment. I think a cab is best.

Cab is fine, and the double bed room is what I was asking for.

Walter said something in the WM#1 thread about shore diving....can you get some details on this?

Does the dock, boat, hotel, dive facility, et. al have a fresh water rinse station so we can soak our gear after the dives?

Oh, and an idea for a future group trip....Photomania where u/w photography is taught.

This is sounding better all the time!

A few additional details dealing with the class/diving.

To take this class you must be a certified diver from a recognized agency at least 18 years of age and have a log with at least 20 dives. I will need a copy of your c-card (front & back). Send the copy of the c-card to Natasha along with your deposit. It is extremely unlikely anyone here has a card from an agency that is not recognized. If you are in doubt send a PM to me. I will be sending a waiver/medical questionaire to everyone. Please return them right away.

We will be strictly following YMCA Wreck Diver standards for all training. You will receive a YMCA Wreck Diver specialty rating upon successful completion of the course.

We will be diving out of Deerfield Beach on the Lady Go Diver. I've dived off this boat many times. It's a very comfortable 48ft vessel with a large head (bathroom). Dixie Divers will be providing tanks and air/nitrox fills. If you need to rent any equipment, they will be providing the rentals. They work very closely with Captain Rob of the Lady Go Diver and are across the parking lot from the boat.

If you are planning to dive nitrox, send a copy of your nitrox card instead of your OW card. Also let us know you intend to use nitrox. Unless I hear otherwise, we'll assume you're diving air.

If you are interested in using nitrox on this trip, but are not yet certified send a PM to me for details on how you can complete your nitrox course.

Special equipment:

Safety sausages are always a good idea when diving in the ocean. Some type of surface signaling device will be required.

We will be discussing streamlining equipment and will be working on gear with that in mind. DIR configuration is not required, but is welcome.

Doubles and pony bottles will be discussed. You are welcome to bring either, but they are not required. I will be diving doubles.

Reels, slates and lights will be required.

Other points:

We will not be making staged decompression dives, although we will simulate it.

We will make limited penetrations of wrecks with the use of reels.

Dive schedule:

7/20 Dive 1 - Ancient Mariner 70 ft
Dive 2 - United Caribbean 70 ft

7/21 Dive 1 - Captain Dan 117 ft We'll stay at 100 ft or shallower
Dive 2 - Jay Doorman 83 ft

7/22 Dive 1 - Captain Dan 117 ft We'll stay at 100 ft or shallower
Dive 2 - RSB One 107 ft We'll stay at 100 ft or shallower

I'm excited!

DSSW,

WWW™

Mike,

There is a rinse tub at the dock. The boat also has a hose on board for rinsing cameras and bodies (not gear).

Shore diving is available at the beach by the hotel. There are other shore dives a short drive away. I'll have a list and directions when you arrive.

DSSW,

WWW™

Originally posted by Walter
Reels, slates and lights will be required.
Since reels can be a bit of an investment, and there are lots of good and bad ones out there, should we start a thread of which have the "WWW" stamp of approval?

And will "Birdsnesting 101" be part of he course outline? :D

Walter,

How about dive insurance (DAN, ect), is it required? I suspect that most of us have it (I do) but there maybe some that don't. A lot of the dive ops around here require it so I thought I would bring up the question.

We will have to coordinate our Jokemania supplies so we do not duplicate. You bring the whoopee cushion for Natasha and I will bring Walter a wig. I am -IN- (unless of course, I break something else). As for rinse tanks, we call them HOTEL SHOWERS!!!

Uh Walter... how many tanks should I bring? All I can get my hands on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom