Wrist Mounted Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's so incredibly discouraging and frustrating (and really damages the brand) to have this drag on for, what, a decade now? I have been waiting for the Next Great Thing in a wrist computer, for....well, more than a few years. Manufacturers come and go, civilizations rise and fall, glaciers recede, stars are born and die, and...I'm still waiting. It was time to move on long ago. Sigh.

I have a big trip coming up a year from now. I have zero confidence that this will be resolved by then - or, frankly, ever. Honestly, why should anyone? I'm not trying to be snarky, but seriously, come on, how is this at all credible?

I am confidant that the device is coming, in the fact that Huish shutdown Liquivision at the end of last year. The way Huish has conducted business over the last 5-6 years, I truly believe that they will not leave the market empty for to long.

I too am sitting on the purchasing a new Computer. My OCi screen died this past week, so I am in the market. My cobalt will have to make due till June. Then we will see, I barrowed my buddies Petarl 2 for a few months.

So, if or when the Atomic Aquatics wrist computer is launched, it will have a proprietary RGBM-based decompression algorithm, uncharacterized conservation and exertion settings for the algorithm, deep stops, and a proprietary transmitter.

One question that may impact retaining (Liquivision) customers; will the new Atomic wrist unit work with the old Lynx transmitters? If so, that might help recruit some users early on.

Richard.

One question that may impact retaining (Liquivision) customers; will the new Atomic wrist unit work with the old Lynx transmitters? If so, that might help recruit some users early on.

Richard.
Good question @drrich2 The Lynx was described as ultrasonic signal transmission with a max distance of 330 feet. The post from @RonR says acoustic signal transmission to a max of low 100s of feet. Are these the same or different?

The whole saga of Huish Outdoors and all its scuba brands is fascinating

NWFlyboy, if your development time is so long it become somewhat of a moving target, too. A year ago, they didn't have the air integrated Shearwater Perdix to worry about, but the rest of the world just keeps getting better.

All I know is I'm waiting to see what it has to offer. I have a computer now that hopefully will last me long enough to see what Atomic has to offer. I just hope it's something that lives up to the Atomic name.

PS Atomic if you need a test subject hit me up.

So, if or when the Atomic Aquatics wrist computer is launched, it will have a proprietary RGBM-based decompression algorithm, uncharacterized conservation and exertion settings for the algorithm, deep stops, and a proprietary transmitter.
Sort of- The Cobalt now has two algorithms, both labeled with "RGBM", the normal one is at root a M-value based algorithm with bubble factors added (and yes, deep stops), the other, which only kicks in if the dive goes below 150' is the fully iterative RGBM. I don't know that it will make it in the first release, but our strong intent is to offer a firmware update that includes a Buhlmann algorithm option as well. The Cobalt platform was always intended to be multi- algorithm. The transmitter will be acoustic, so yes, it's not going to work with RF transmitters. In that case the advantages of acoustic over RF are so compelling that it's justified, and in fact a large reason for delaying the product.
-Ron

Richard.
Yes, I'm pretty sure any of the Liquivision transmitters will work with the Cobalt wrist. They won't have the battery life or the range of the newer Atomic transmitter, but they should be functional if they are operating on the same frequency. I'm not sure about all of the past Liquivision history but I believe they have always used the same audio frequency that we use in the Cobalt. It's basically the same technology, somewhat modified for our product but intended to be compatible. We don't plan at this point to include range or direction sensing in the wrist unit, though. Direction finding is a possibility for a boat mounted unit that was shown at DEMA- it senses the transmitter locations and can read diver's air pressure.

Good question @drrich2 The Lynx was described as ultrasonic signal transmission with a max distance of 330 feet. The post from @RonR says acoustic signal transmission to a max of low 100s of feet. Are these the same or different?

The whole saga of Huish Outdoors and all its scuba brands is fascinating
Yes, it's basically the same tech, an decision due to Liquivision coming under the Huish umbrella just as we were gearing up the earlier, never produced version of the Cobalt wrist. I'm not willing to promise any specific distance figures now as these will be dependent on conditions. But it should be at least in the same ballpark with Liquivision's products and should be better with the new transmitter.

-Ron

From what I have seen with the price of there new BC, this wrist computer will be a simple puck design priced at $1500.

At Beneath The Sea Show in Secaucus NJ, Huish did not have any additional information except that they've come up with a name for the product which the Huish rep declined to divulge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom