x-shorts? whos got 'em?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ordered mine and they arrived in 3 days from date of payment.

I have tried them in the pool in preparation for Cozumel next week.

I love them. Great to have pockets in the pool wioth the skin suit.

Mike...

Why not just drag a parachute behind you or a wheelbarrow? I think I will invent that, an underwater diver trailer, so you can bring everything. N

Mambo Dave:
I have the DR thigh pocket and, interestingly as it was what I was going to use as an example, the first item pictured on that page - the clipper pocket.

Both are suffering from stitching coming undone, or the stitching areas were not reinforced enough. One of the guides for one of the two leg straps on the high pocket came undone, and the guide strap for a pastic snap (the plastic snap is what secures the clipper pocket to the 2" belt) pulled out. Neither was from overweighting, both, IMO, are just inferior products. Considering I've only owned them for just about three months, this does not bode well with me. I own primarily all Dive Rite stuff, and I find it to be unfinished on a number of levels. I'd love to say great things about them, but I'm not one to need that feeling of diver gear-justification. It just ain't all that great. Save for their regulators, I'll be moving away from DR stuff in the future as it really doesn't seem like they have done much to improve upon the gear they put out.

One of m'verygoodfriends, Tom Winters, has a thigh pocket that I deem superior for a number of reasons. One, it has lasted more than a few months (try years probably), and two, for a leg strap it has one wide strap that wraps around the leg and locks with velcro on the other side (so two ends, but one approx 4" wide strap). Do I have a clue as to what make it is? Of course not.

I do not hate DR, but BigTUna's post really got me thinking of how multiple DR items are failing for me (or those that just ain't too great), and I see the company, now, as just a cheap way to get into semi-tech gear. I guess I ought to show up at my LDS and show them the Clipper pocket AND the thigh pocket to see what they'll do for me. If anyone wants close-up pictures of the stitching failures PM me.

Interestingly enough, I spent the morning with black thread and a heavy needle, re-sewing one of the straps on my cummerbund 2-zipper pocket. When I finished, I sealed both sides of the stitching with clear nail polish. I hope it will be sufficient... The pocket is more to the side than on the front so it's out of the way, and it's just big enough for my SMB, shears, mirror, and u/w notebook.

I bought a pair of the X-shorts, but I don't know... I'm not real crazy about them. I'd rather have everything on my BC, for what little I carry. The shorts seem rather bulky. I may change my mind about them in the future. We'll see...

Fish_Whisperer:
Interestingly enough, I spent the morning with black thread and a heavy needle..

I bought a pair of the X-shorts, but I don't know... I'm not real crazy about them. ..

I have sown and glued (they are NOT coming off) pockets on all my wetsuits. But shorts.... not for me. Too gay. Especially if I end up hitching a ride to the chamber or worse.... no laughter. But thats just my view. They may look cool on others.
:wink:

Meng_Tze:
I have sown and glued (they are NOT coming off) pockets on all my wetsuits. But shorts.... not for me. Too gay. Especially if I end up hitching a ride to the chamber or worse.... no laughter. But thats just my view. They may look cool on others.
:wink:

:lol:

Personally, I'm just looking for ways to pare down what I carry and cleaning up my profile so that I have as little drag as possible. The shorts may come in useful in the future and the price was too good to pass up. Too bad the string at the waist couldn't have been a one-inch nylon strap or something...

Received mine last week (with the mask strap and dvd), they seem to be very well made. I haven't had the opportunity to dive with them and was just wondering if those that have dived with them have had to add weight to compensate for the extra neoprene, if so how much weight? I hope to get mine wet soon, hopefully before the end of the month. Coqui Diver

I didn't add any weight. I used them over my 3 mil wetsuit.

One M X-short arrived on my doorstep at 11pm (hmm). No complaints here but I won't get them wet for awhile. I like the feel of the material. As stated previously, I have glued a halcyon bellows pocket to my 5mm fullsuit; I plan to use the X-short over my 3mm shorty. Hope it works well. I just need to loop some bungee through the grommets.

The DVD is pretty sweet. I really enjoyed the red sea shoot and the walls on road to montana.

-V

I ran across the ebay deal independently and almost started a redundant thread about it. I did a quick scan of forums and as usual everything worth saying has been said before. Except perhaps: they seem to be out of size L, which is unfortunate. Depending on the wetsuit I may or may not always be able to use the size M I got.

-Klaus

I am trying to purchase the x-shorts on ebay but it seems as the guy is no longer a registered user :(

Any ideas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom