x-shorts? whos got 'em?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came across this thread and skimmed it. Didn't spot any references to alternatives to the shorts, so consider this.

Dive Rite has a nice thigh pocket that hangs down from a 2-inch waist strap. To keep from flopping around, it has two straps that go around the thigh. Kinda like a holster for a pistol. Have a look, here:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/pockets.shtml

I have the DR thigh pocket and, interestingly as it was what I was going to use as an example, the first item pictured on that page - the clipper pocket.

Both are suffering from stitching coming undone, or the stitching areas were not reinforced enough. One of the guides for one of the two leg straps on the high pocket came undone, and the guide strap for a pastic snap (the plastic snap is what secures the clipper pocket to the 2" belt) pulled out. Neither was from overweighting, both, IMO, are just inferior products. Considering I've only owned them for just about three months, this does not bode well with me. I own primarily all Dive Rite stuff, and I find it to be unfinished on a number of levels. I'd love to say great things about them, but I'm not one to need that feeling of diver gear-justification. It just ain't all that great. Save for their regulators, I'll be moving away from DR stuff in the future as it really doesn't seem like they have done much to improve upon the gear they put out.

One of m'verygoodfriends, Tom Winters, has a thigh pocket that I deem superior for a number of reasons. One, it has lasted more than a few months (try years probably), and two, for a leg strap it has one wide strap that wraps around the leg and locks with velcro on the other side (so two ends, but one approx 4" wide strap). Do I have a clue as to what make it is? Of course not.

I do not hate DR, but BigTUna's post really got me thinking of how multiple DR items are failing for me (or those that just ain't too great), and I see the company, now, as just a cheap way to get into semi-tech gear. I guess I ought to show up at my LDS and show them the Clipper pocket AND the thigh pocket to see what they'll do for me. If anyone wants close-up pictures of the stitching failures PM me.

BigTuna:
I just came across this thread and skimmed it. Didn't spot any references to alternatives to the shorts, so consider this.

Dive Rite has a nice thigh pocket that hangs down from a 2-inch waist strap. To keep from flopping around, it has two straps that go around the thigh. Kinda like a holster for a pistol. Have a look, here:

I have it and used it and was ok with it until I actually have pockets stitched onto my suit. The thigh pocket tends to shift back to the back size of my thigh and I will have to pul it back to where it is suppose to be from time to time. Not that bad but having the pockets stationed where is should be at all time will certainly make my diving more enjoyable.

The pocket is now transformed to become a waist pouch where I place my snorkel, wet note, and route my long hose under (not diving with a cannister yet).

Just my experience with it...............

I just ordered a pair to go with my 3mm shorty for summer dives. My 5mm fullsuit has a pocket glued on it. If anyone is looking for alternative solutions, aquaseal seems more reliable than stitching.

-V

I also have one dive-rite thigh pocket, and it's okay, but I prefer to have the pockets attached directly to my wet- or drysuit because of the added convenience, and after that the x-shorts seem like the next best solution, though I haven't got mine wet yet. They are just easier to pull on and cheaper than the DR thigh pockets.

Mark Vlahos:
Mine arrived today. Each the correct size. With the disk, and mask strap. All for the price agreed upon. I'm happy as a clam! :)

Mark Vlahos

I got the ebay blem deal too and it arrived today-- came with the promotional dvd but not the mask strap that everyone else apparently got, bummer. But just hold on before y'all bite my head off I'm only joking about being ripped off. It's a great deal, I just left them positive feedback, and in fact I placed an order for another item (no not the scooter, unfortunately). mmmmmmm polymerized chloroprene.

I couldn't pass up the price and bought a second pair to set aside for "later"!

I bought a second pair, too, just in case there are stitching problems on the first one. Somebody had a great idea making these!

I ended up buying three pairs! Two for me and one as a gift.

Just got my second pair delivered as well! Had to get a Medium for wetsuit diving, Large for drysuit. Two dives on them so far, they're great. Nice to have 'real' useable pockets - that I can see!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom