Xcalak - Banco Chinchorro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think they are referring to the old wooden bridge on the old sand road from Majahual to Ixcalak. That bridge is not the bridge just past Ixcalak. The bridge that burned down 8 or so years ago was never repaired since the new road connected Ixcalak to Majahual (its about 8 miles from the town). If in doubt you can always contact the dive shop or Costa de Cocos. but I think its confusion about which bridge. If the bridge just past the town was burned then I would have heard about it.

I'm looking at Google Earth and I see a newer road coming in from the west into Xcalak, but XTC is north of Xcalak just past the burned-out bridge on the "old sand road" going to Majahual. Google Earth shows it as impassable also. Is this the same picture that you have? Thanks

Not sure what you are seeing. On the old sand road to Majahual just past the town of Ixcalak there are two bridges. One is the old bridge that was closed off 10 or so years ago. Next to it they built a new bridge which is still there. I was down there a few months ago and the bridge was fine. The bridge over Rio Hondo which is oh 6 miles to the north of the town was burned down years back and never replaced. Lots of gringos have vacation homes north of town and if the town pier had burned down you would have heard about it. Don't take my word for it contact the XTC dive shop or Costa de Cocos

Augustus is right. The beach road bridge was burned down a while ago, someone said that is was to deter the drug runners but who knows? We did attempt to drive right down to the river mouth but the road is blocked off quite a bit to the north and I couldn't see the river. What I did see was a cruise ship tourist attraction and a few guys standing around, one with a monkey on a collar and leash. We turned around and headed back to our rental house.

Funny enough the owner of the condo we picked in Cozumel went to Mahauhal and Xcalak. In Xcalak one of only 2 restaurants was connected to a resort where a lot of Suburban driving, well dressed and wearing a LOT of jewelery;Mexicans were having a "class reunion".

Last edited:
I'm looking at Google Earth and I see a newer road coming in from the west into Xcalak, but XTC is north of Xcalak just past the burned-out bridge on the "old sand road" going to Majahual. Google Earth shows it as impassable also. Is this the same picture that you have? Thanks
Just at the outskirts north of Xcalak is a burned bridge but right beside it is a new bridge. The burned bridge that stops access down the coast road is further north.

If you want to dive Chinchorro you should stay in Ixcalk instead of Majahual.

Augustus---

Just curious why you recommend staying in Xcalak instead of Mahahual if diving Chinchirro. If necessary, I'll drive from Mahahual to Xcalak to dive Chinchirro, but I've found 4 dive ops in Mahahual that will take a group to Chinchirro (according to their website). Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Do the dive shops out of Xcalak have better access to Chinchirro? Like I said, I'm just curious and looking avoid buyers remorse after booking a week of diving.

Bucanero del Caribe | About us

Dive Trips - Dreamtime Diving Resort

Gypsea Divers dive shop mahahual|diving snorkeling|dive mahahaul

Dive Prices, Dive Packages, Rates Dive Equipment Rental | Costa Maya, Mahahual

Right now, I'm planning on diving with Jorge at Bucanero del Caribe out of Mahahual and hopefully there will be enough people going to Chinchirro sometime during the week to get at least one trip over there that week. I've been diving with Jorge twice and he really is great to dive with.

Keep in mind that there is a good chance you won't make it to Chinchorro. Grtting there is very weather dependent. We paid $600 for a private charter with Blue Ocean Safari, worth every penny and I got lucky that the date I chose months before was probably the only day out of the 14 that we could have gone. The boat crew was great even though Julie the owner spent the next 12days trying to get us to go to places where I assumed she got a commission. To the point she told us we had to evacuate to a place in town when TS Alex was heading our way. Talked to a few people in town who kindly told us she was full of ****.

Another point I forgot about Mahahual is the hippies. Are they normally so unfriendly? For instance we went to Aroma in the casitas to watch England vs Germany in a World Cup game. All 3 of us were in England jerseys and a lot of the hippies were England fans too yet not one made any eye contact or acknowledged us in any way. Wtf??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This thread began with questions about Ixcalak and diving with XTC. I know zero about Majahual and actually don't care for the place that much. Too built up and carters to the cruise boats. I am sure there are good shops there that can get you out to chinchorro weather permitting. From my end Ixcalak is a better choice since I like the laid back feel of the place and if you are going there to dive chinchorro then its a good place to hang out till a window opens and you can get out. Diving in Ixcalak is OK. You will not see crowds like you would in Majahual.
As to who has better access I would say the same. Chinchorro is a big area though now its zoned so the diving is restricted to certain areas. Over the years I have made four or so trips out there (camping out on Cayo Lobos twice) and I was not that impressed. Not virgin diving by any stretch.

Another point I forgot about Mahahual is the hippies. Are they normally so unfriendly? For instance we went to Aroma in the casitas to watch England vs Germany in a World Cup game. All 3 of us were in England jerseys and a lot of the hippies were England fans too yet not one made any eye contact or acknowledged us in any way. Wtf??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lot of unfriendly people in this world! We live in West Texas where we wave at people on the country roads and say hello to everyone!

---------- Post added June 15th, 2013 at 08:15 AM ----------

Over the years I have made four or so trips out there (camping out on Cayo Lobos twice) and I was not that impressed. Not virgin diving by any stretch.

Interesting, I assumed that since there was no fishing, liveaboards, etc., that it would be fairly pristine.

Wrong. Fishermen have been diving the area since the 60's. For instance in all the trips I have made never seen a shark apart from a nurse shark. And we were diving all over the banks including the windward side when the weather was VERY calm. Viz is ok but not upto Cozumel standards. Honestly I don't ever have any desire to go back now that its zoned out. Going out there for 3 or so days was fun but now its just day trips.

Wrong. Fishermen have been diving the area since the 60's. For instance in all the trips I have made never seen a shark apart from a nurse shark. And we were diving all over the banks including the windward side when the weather was VERY calm. Viz is ok but not upto Cozumel standards. Honestly I don't ever have any desire to go back now that its zoned out. Going out there for 3 or so days was fun but now its just day trips.

Well, it's still on my "must dive" list, along with Corn Islands, off of Nicaragua - Corn Island, Nicaragua - ViaNica.com. Guess I'll have to do both and compare. Thanks for the input. Not sure about staying at Costa de Cocos Costa de Cocos Resort - Xcalak, Mexico - Beauty and Tranquility at the End of the Road Less Traveled, seems to be more of a fishing resort, maybe I'm wrong. I would really like to dive with XTC, after all I have heard about them. They have a small hotel there but not too sure about the eats. How is the dive shop at Costa de Cocos, any idea?

Do they have permits for Chinchorro? Very important.

Back
Top Bottom