Yes that is correct...Another BP/W thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trinigordo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
OK, I have long been contemplating the move across to a BP/W from my present BC, so studying up I have read alot of what people here on SB have said about the various brands and styles of BP/W, as most of you guys know most of these threads end up sounding like "I dive a so and so, but you should just try out a bunch of BP/W and find the one that is right for you." "There is no such thing as the best BP/W, etc,"

There is a small caveat with this essential course of study, I firmly subscribe to the "try before you buy" theory and optimally would have loved to use it on this one but I have been unable to make that happen.

So my big idea was make a thread to get all you BP/W people to put your heads together and start making suggestions on which BP/W setup would be best for me personally.

So here is what I think is the pertinent information regarding me and my diving, if I have forgotten anything you think would affect the decision, please let me know.

Me. I am 5'10" and 240 lbs. and I am on the wrong side of husky. I have 87 dives to date and I usually dive 16 pounds of lead on a 3mm.

I currently do most of my diving in the Caribbean, I am branching out to colder and fresher waters up in the Great Lakes. I do see myself eventually going the technical route(caves and wreck, let's rule neither of them out), no agency or instructor has been picked.

I do travel back and forth between Trinidad and Michigan with all my equipment so size and weight is also a consideration.

The brands offered by my LDS is a complete non-factor here. Service/maintainance by mail would work fine for me.

Costs are a slight consideration, I would like to minimise spending but I'm more concerned about getting the right plate and wing than spending a couple bucks getting one.

So shoot me some suggestions with the reasons why you like that particular BP/W setup for me.

Thanks in advance for all advise that may be offered,

Mikey

EDIT: Mostly singles but would probably use it for doubles at some point as well.

Single tank or doubles?
If single, look at my thread from last night: 'Why isn't there a single tank backplate'.
Lots of opinions there.

If doubles, it appears to me that there is little difference between the manufacturers as far as BP. Some have more holes around the perimiter (anyone with a drill can equalize that), Some put extra slots in the middle of the BP in case you want to use bands to stabilize independent doubles (I don't have any clue what that really adds, but I'm just starting my BP/W adventure), Hammerhead cuts a hole to make carrying your setup easier (That might be a good plus).

The DSS plate has the option of adding bolt on plate weights. I really looked closely at that option because, like you, I am very buoyant. If price were not an issue, that's what I would have gone with.

In the end I was offered a great deal on a Zeagle setup and $ considerations won out.

Good luck with your search!

Get a Stainless Steel Plate... mine is 5lbs. So you'd only have to wear 11 lbs then. Then if you add a steel tank.. you'd be able to drop another 6 or so :wink:

I have a dive rite transplate harness. I like it.

Ditto with howarde. I dive a transplate as well with the deluxe harness. You could start with that kind of harness and go one continuous piece if you wanted later should you go more techie. (in case you didnt know....the transplate is a DiveRite product)

I went with the bungeed Rec wing. There are lots of strong opinions about that. It works for me and thats all that matters to me.

Good luck.

Oxycheq SS plate med to large. Weight 5- 6 lbs. Add 5lb weighted sta. You will need less weight with a BP so throught out what you need now. If you still need to add more weight,the med weight pouches work great.

The HOG harness is the way to go but I have been selling the adjustable harness to the odd person.

You should only need the 18# Razor Wing for the tropics....personally I use the 30# Mach V for all dives.

Ron

Deep Sea Supply has a great complete package system consisting of a SS BP, LCD30 wing, and all the fittinngs. H've had one for a year and a half and am very satisfied with it.

Also, he sells 'weight plates' which can be attached to the backplate if you want to transfer some more of the weight off your belt.

With regards to BP I still don't see the differences between the brands, is the only consideration going to be the weight of the plate?

Or are there other considerations to be made?

Trinigordo:
With regards to BP I still don't see the differences between the brands, is the only consideration going to be the weight of the plate?

Or are there other considerations to be made?

Yes

Sizes; some companies offer only one size. Others offer a range of sizes.

Material; 11 ga SS is the most common. Some offer 10 ga SS, Aluminum, ABS and Kydex composites. Fewer still offer SS plates in thicker (and heavier) SS.

Overall shape; plates vary a bit here. Some have nearly square corners and other have large radius corners.

Slot location; Some plates have angled upper slots, others do not

Finish; In the past the deburring and finishing of backplates ranged from "would you like a box of band-aids to go with that?" to nicely radiused all over. Today most plates are at worst useable, and most are pretty good.

Overall bend angle; this the angle between the two large flat surfaces. Bend angles range from quite steep to much flatter. There are advantages to both approaches.

Center channel depth; this is how far the center channel is offset from the diver, here again there is quite a range. Deep center center channels will offset single tanks further from the diver.

Camstrap slots; most plates sold today, but not all have slots in the center channel to allow securing a single tank directly, i.e. without using a STA.

Accessory Mounting Holes; Most plates sold today have round holes around the perimeter. Some have more than others. In practice there are only a few items that might be mounted to the backplate.

Available accessories; Plate pads and pockets, bolt on weights, thumbscrew retainers. Some offer these, some do not.

Misc; Extra lower corner bends, Overmolded harness slot grommets, additional slots for mounting independent twins, multiple hole locations for doubles.

Besides these items "a plate is just a plate" :wink:

Tobin

Just want to add that plates vary in the spacing of slots and holes, so not all plates are compatible with all wings. Kidspot has a website that has a lot of data on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom