Yet another newbie's hope for guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaeckert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First, to all of you who follow this forum, I apologize if this is repetitious (I just could not handle wading through 19 pages of prior threads… though I did get through 11 and found them re-enforcing what I liked on the Force Fin web site).

I have just purchased my first pair of Force Fins (Excellerating Force Fin Tan Delta -size XXL<they are not yet shipped>) but I am starting to question my choice of model. Did I get too much fin? I have no doubt that I want FF but is this the right model for me?

Who I am: I am a 48 year old male, 6’2”, 170lb (tall and lean), size 11 ½ - 12 foot with a high arch, I am in decent physical condition - walk 10 - 15 miles every day at least 5 days a week (good endourance but NOT muscular). Currently diving with Scubapro Seawing Nova (though I always seem to be on the edge of cramping <but hasn’t happened yet>).

What I want: The perfect fin (who doesn’t:help:). Local (most frequent diving) is altitude lake diving in Idaho (dry suit year-round), but my focus is on global travel. Places on my bucket list include: Caribbean, Mexico, Galapagos, South Pacific, and the Philippines (and who could miss Australia and New Zealand?). I want a fin that will allow me control for wreck and cave diving, give me a reasonable chance in currents (however; I don’t have to be the first one there), and provide stability/maneuverability for photography (control will always out way speed for me). Most of all; I want a fin that will minimize my potential to damage my surroundings. I have been truly embarrassed by the sediment I have churned up with the Novas.

I am willing to invest the time to learn how to use the correct fin and I am not conserned about cost, appearance, or status. I only seek performance.

Any suggestions?

jaeckert, When Captain Billy Deans gave me his endorsement for the excellerating Force Fin years ago that said every thing for me. This model has always performed for the Ocean Futures Society dive team, so I think you made a good choice. Plus John Chatterton gave me thumbs up on this model.http://www.forcefin.com/TEST.html If your not happy you can return for a full refund. We have had this program for over twenty years and we will make sure your happy. Best, Bob Off to swim masters with my Adjustable slim fin.Force Fin Slim Fin - Adjustable 5:00 am Santa Barbara

jaeckert, When Captain Billy Deans gave me his endorsement for the excellerating Force Fin years ago that said every thing for me. This model has always performed for the Ocean Futures Society dive team, so I think you made a good choice. Plus John Chatterton gave me thumbs up on this model.Force Fin: Testimonials If your not happy you can return for a full refund. We have had this program for over twenty years and we will make sure your happy. Best, Bob Off to swim masters with my Adjustable slim fin.Force Fin Slim Fin - Adjustable 5:00 am Santa Barbara

Hi Bob,

It's truly a pleasure and an honor to hear directly from the owner/inventor himself! I was having doubts that the excellerating Force Fins might be too much fin for a greenhorn like me; and I might be better off with a smaller model. But after reading your reply I will not second guess my choice.

A secondary question regarding the Excellerating fins; would you suggest replacing the wiskers with bat wings? How much of a difference in performance can I expect?

Thank you again for taking the time to reply and for making a great fin!

Joel

well you jumped in with both feet. you didn't make a poor choice. It took me years to discover the Excellerator and while I bounce around with many fins, it is still my favorite go to fin for any and all conditions. To answer your question about Whiskers vs Bat Wings. Take a look at my post on the header of the thread New To ForceFins. I have lots of links to older threads that talk fairly extensively about all of the fins

Both batwings and whiskers provide the stabilization the fin really requires, but they work in completely different ways, they don't even work the same way on the Excellerator as they do on the Extra Force. On the Excellerator the distal ~5 inches of the fin is much more flexible than proximal section, and remember that the Forcewings are mounted to the stiff section. With Whiskers- the blade flexes away from the Whiskers, they provide stabilization and moderate water channeling. Bat Wings however are very flexible and tend to splay outward on the fin, effectively increasing the surface area of the kick on the power stroke and releasing on the recovery, sounds weird but feels very natural.

Both work very well. I prefer Bat Wings on my Excellerator and the Whiskers on the Extra Force. This is really only because I didn't like the Bat Wings on my Extra Force, that just felt odd. But on the Excellerator they feel natural.

Jaeckert, Your welcome, we like to do business the old way. The Bat wings were design for the excellerator with the scooped topside blade. Their closer to your foot and capture a large volume of water on the down stroke and quickly close in during the up kick eliminating low pressure drag forces. Plus you can focus the water by turning the Bat Wings, changing thrust out-put. Meesier, do you ever move the Bat Wings to change the fin performance? You have a better understanding of my fin's than I do some times...

with how flexible the Bat Wings are I can't notice a bit of difference in moving them, so I just leave them alone. Isn't that part of the beauty though, fins that just work and you don't have to think or worry about them. Even with the whiskers on my extra force, 99% of the time they are parrellel, the other 1% I have them perpendicular with the fin. Its kind of like hitting the turtle switch, full power is available but the response is slower and control is amplified allowing me to make really fine positioning movements without worrying about going to far or fast, its really helpful with a camera in my hands while shooting macro were the difference in 1/2 inch is the difference in being in focus and missing the shot entirely.

Back
Top Bottom