yoke hog first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not understanding your reply to me - would you mind clarifying?

The way I dive is DIN right now and I only need to use yoke when I travel and rent some times. I have seen people buy a piece of gear and then change it around (DIY) and to me that is not good changing over major connectors from your factory first stage to something else. When I intentionally go some where that I know has yoke only I just take out my yoke reg set and travel with it. When diving my tanks it is Origional DIN and they have a lot of dives on them. That was my only point.

This is one of the reasons I have switched all my regs to HOG. I like the fact that a company will sell it's customers what they want and not what the company wants to sell us.

+1

I like the ability to customize my gear based on my own perceived needs or desires as well as ability to maintain it myself. I will always support a manufacturer who understands that by providing me with options. Like several in this thread, I also have converted over all my family's regs to HOG as well. I am looking forward to the conversion kits becoming available.

Bhtmec2,

It's cerich's reply I didn't understand - I just pasted in the lead-up quotes to put it in perspective so no one would have to spend time scrolling back.

I edited that post for clarity.

Blue Sparkle

I was teasing a bit, from your post it seemed like you were callingca yoke fitting a "native" fitting...to me "native" is the one it comes with, thus a HOG reg the "native" fitting is DIN...

I will NOT be offering HOG regs in yoke, I will however bring n the fittings need to convert a HOG reg to yoke with the spin on adapter.

may I ask why or why not the EDGE regulators didn't appeal?

cerich,

I am not understanding your reply to me - would you mind clarifying?

If you're wondering why I just didn't go with a "native" DIN reg - it was because I knew most/all of my near-future diving would be with rented yoke-valved tanks in Florida. (Whereas if I'd known I would be diving with my own tanks I would have chosen DIN.)

I came really close to buying the HOG regs; they were my first choice, and I wanted them, but the native DIN connection didn't make it a workable choice for me at the time. That's why I "liked" your post about offering HOG regs with the choice of either a native yoke or a native DIN connection option in future (and thus the ability to convert them or have them converted "internally").

Blue Sparkle

I was teasing a bit, from your post it seemed like you were callingca yoke fitting a "native" fitting...to me "native" is the one it comes with, thus a HOG reg the "native" fitting is DIN...

Okay, I see. I was using "native" to mean an "inbuilt" yoke or DIN connection on the first stage, vs. a "spin on" adapter or the like. For example, my reg is "native" yoke, because I bought it that way, but it could also be changed over to be "native" DIN (by a tech or DIY-er, with parts). Obviously I just made up that term and it's not the usual one :blush:

I will NOT be offering HOG regs in yoke, I will however bring n the fittings need to convert a HOG reg to yoke with the spin on adapter.

Ah, okay. I misunderstood you in post #10 and thought you were going to be bringing in "internal" kits to enable the HOG regs to be either DIN or Yoke (without an adapter). Also, I thought the spin-on adapters were already being offered in some of the Black Friday HOG specials. Do they need more parts than just the adapter -- for those who want to use an adapter?

I appreciate you caring enough to ask :) My response is long -- and probably boring to anyone but you, so I will PM you.

Blue Sparkle

Cerich, I'm sure that it's not that the Edge brand isn't appealing, it's just that the Hog is the one that people are constantly hearing about all over this board and others. It's got the hype and the price point puts it under other recreational regs so recreational divers are probably gravitating toward it over the Edge branded version. If everyone was talking about the Edge instead of the Hog then you would be having to switch Edge first stages to din.

The fact is that Edge regs are available in DIN. The Epic can be ordered with either DIN or Yoke fittings. I have an Epic in DIN here now getting ready to ship to a customer. Performance of the first stages is great with both. My biggest reason for converting all to HOG is that all of my tanks that I use for diving are either DIN or have the DIN/Yoke convertible valves. The issue with some saying that the DIN fitting and use of adapter puts the reg to close to their head is a subjective one. IF you mount your tank high in the BC it could be a problem depending on the BC or plate. I have two styles of plates. One has a lower profile than most but when I dive it with a single the tank is positioned so that using the adapter is not an issue. But that is again where I like my tank and the reg is actually not even with the back of my head but a little lower and so does not hit.

I also have used the regs with my express tech that sits right on my back and again no problem. I've sold more than few of the Epics and had positive comments overall.

Last edited:
Cerich, I'm sure that it's not that the Edge brand isn't appealing, it's just that the Hog is the one that people are constantly hearing about all over this board and others. It's got the hype and the price point puts it under other recreational regs so recreational divers are probably gravitating toward it over the Edge branded version. If everyone was talking about the Edge instead of the Hog then you would be having to switch Edge first stages to din.

fair enough, the good news is that i showed my new EDGE regs at DEMA. They will be here late jan. They are optimized for recreational and a much easier choice for the recreational diver. they perform VERY well and as far as user experience they are easily as nice in the water as the HOG's.

There will be three versions

EDG EXP, a balanced diaphragm first stage with 1 HP and 4 LP ports, 28" EDGEFLEX Braided Nylon Hose with a balanced adjustable second stage , retail is $239

Edge Epic V2 , same balanced diaphragm as the current Epic with new look, 28" braided 28" nylon hose with swivel, balanced adjustable second stage with brass and chrome barrel for heat and moisture retention. retail is $339

EDGE TiEx, balanced flow thru piston with dealer optional cold water kit in Titanium, 28" braided 28" nylon hose with Titanium swivel, balanced adjustable second stage with titanioum barrel for heat and moisture retention. retail is $599

EDGE escape Octo, balanced non adjustable second stage with 40" EDGEFLEX braided nylon hose in yellow for high viability, retail is $95

The Titanium is sweet and also meets rule #6 (always look cool!) requirements for those who are fussy about that. Was glad to get a chance to play with and inspect all of the new ones at DEMA.

The EXP is going to be very popular with my customers and students who travel and are concerned about weight, yet are on budgets. It is also IMO a great reg for shops that need to expand/replace their rental/pool fleet with out mortgaging the shop to do it. Or independent instructors looking to build a few simple reliable teaching reg sets.

The V2 is likely to be my choice for my own Edge reg for travel and teaching when I'm not using a BPW and long hose. Coupled with the 23lb HOG wing and Al plate I set up, it's a full set of performance gear I can get in my roller backpack bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom