Your Favorite Regulator? How did you decide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Titan I'm using at present is quite remarkable. It delivers air at a very reassuring pressure regardless of depth - I've had them below 400ft with no problems - and is incredibly tolerant of lack of servicing. The one I currently use for warm water recreational diving has not been serviced for over 3 years (well over 1000 dives) yet performs as new. But for cold water diving I reach for my Poseidons.

Yes, Aqualung really has their act together on the Titan regs. Although I have never put that many dives on one before service, I normally do not even think about servicing one of my Titan first stages until about 300 dives. MY LX seconds usually need to be serviced at about 200 dives, but I know an instructor who goes much longer before service on his LX's.

From the old 'Conshelf' days of Aqualung (US Divers) some of the changes were so slight. I remember a dive shop owner buying new decals for his old regs so that students would buy the newer models. The Titan design reminds me of that with many of the newer models 'looking and feeling' like the old models. Having worked on them all, it's obvious that improvements are always being made in the designs. Our tests next week in Roatan will be interesting as they are totally diver comparison opinions.

Are you designing a new reg or something? No offense, but talk about a crowded market, with all sorts of choices that already out perform anything 99.9999999% of divers need. All the major companies are using hype and fashion to sell their regs, because the simple truth is that any decent reg made 30 years ago is still good enough to do the job.

But, if you're gung ho about it, please make an all metal case coaxial valve with the exhaust valve centered on the diaphragm to eliminate case fault geometry. I'm referring to the 2nd stage. But another barrel poppet reg with added gizmos and excess venturi assist? Why bother.....

Are you designing a new reg or something? No offense, but talk about a crowded market, with all sorts of choices that already out perform anything 99.9999999% of divers need. All the major companies are using hype and fashion to sell their regs, because the simple truth is that any decent reg made 30 years ago is still good enough to do the job.

But, if you're gung ho about it, please make an all metal case coaxial valve with the exhaust valve centered on the diaphragm to eliminate case fault geometry. I'm referring to the 2nd stage. But another barrel poppet reg with added gizmos and excess venturi assist? Why bother.....

Hey Mattboy,

We're just doing some reviews and as you've pointed out, regulators are marketed to the extreme. There are many really great performers out there, and we are going to test several to see if we find any surprises. We'll see what the results are after the dives next week in Roatan. There's value in an unbiased third party review that isn't making a bank deposit as a result of the review process. Maybe our work will help a few divers make the decision process a little easier.

Hey Mattboy,

We're just doing some reviews and as you've pointed out, regulators are marketed to the extreme. There are many really great performers out there, and we are going to test several to see if we find any surprises. We'll see what the results are after the dives next week in Roatan. There's value in an unbiased third party review that isn't making a bank deposit as a result of the review process. Maybe our work will help a few divers make the decision process a little easier.

Sounds great, looking forward to reading your reviews!

I use all ScubaPro with DIN conversion:

1). Primary is an MK-25/A700.

2). Independent Ocotopus (from a dual port, isolation valve system on doubles) MK-10/G250. Bought in 1990. Bench tests at factory specs.

3). MK2 Plus/A295 for my 30 cu.ft Sling Bottle.

4). I use an AIR2 on my BC's also. My Knighthawk BC is new with the AIR2, my Classic Stab Jacket is from 1997, AIR2 is testing correctly.

When getting regulators, it's all about reliability. I think very highly of ScubaPro's regs. As I mentioned, my MK-10/G250 is 20 years old. I clean my regs after each day, have yearly service done, and take care of them as best as possible. I attribute this to the life of my G250. It breathes just the same as the day I took it out of the box.

I'm recreational and put about 100+ dives on my AL Titan (plain ole one) is South Florida. This reg is fantastic, which proves that an inexpensive reg can be a great performer. I spend $50 a year servicing it, free parts. I can't find any reason to get something else right now.

I've got a number of AL Conshelfs and that's what my instructor son uses.

However, my older Sherwood Oasis is my favorite and it's wonderful. I don't even think about breathing, when I'm at 120 or 30 feet. And it performs great in cold/40 degree water. But I've got a newer Oasis, and it just doesn't deliver the air so freely - you can really tell the difference.

We're back from the testing dives....... WOW what an experience. The results won't be finished for a few more weeks as we've got some other stuff going on. What will surprise everyone are the results of our 'opinion' survey and what regulators seemed to outperform others. Remember, this was not scientific or the results of strict lab tests, just diver proven. More coming very soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom