Your Favorite Repeat Travel Destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi. Sinbad's thread on Bucket Lists got me thinking about a very different question; what dive destination do you keep returning to? Who gets your repeat business? What's so great about them that you forego heading elsewhere for new experiences because the tried & true is so good?

If your repeat favorite is such because it's in your neighborhood (e.g.: you live in North Carolina, southern Florida or coastal California & dive locally heavily), that's fine to share, but I'm putting more weight behind choices where people plunk down cash for plane tickets, and have the option to fly to other places.

For me, it was 8 trips to Bonaire. Loved it. The independence of shore diving, knowing my way around because I've been there several times, warm water year round with minimal concerns about hurricane or rainy seasons, fine viz., bundled nitrox, very good viz., usually minimal current, nice reefs & fairly fishy… Expensive airfare & the need (for me) up pay more for an automatic transmission truck run up the bill. My solo week there I got in 28 dives. How sweet it is!

I've been diving elsewhere to broaden my scuba horizons. Loved Key Largo; another budget option where I could rack up a lot of dives fast (4/day) with bundled guide (Rainbow Reef Dive Center).

I've really enjoyed other trips; Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize (very nice!), Jupiter (Fl), Morehead City (NC), I've been blessed with some fine diving. But there are so many other places to try… (I'm not counting various cruise ship stops with 2 dives here, 2 there, etc…).

On the forum it seems to me Cozumel is probably the front runner for repeat travel trips; great viz., warm to fairly warm, varied underwater topography, varied life & some big stuff, judging from this forum perhaps the most consistently praised varied dive op.s of any place I've noticed, drift diving (if you like it; some don't), good food & friendly people topside…and, as scuba trips go, a budget destination. I get the sense Cozumel trips are amongst the cheapest for many U.S.-based divers.

My 2 dives there on a cruise stop with Living Underwater put it on my radar, hoping to hit it in the future.

I'm under the impression CocoView in Roatan does a lot of repeat business.

Money talks; who do you 'vote for' with your money most often?

Richard.

P.S.: If I'm blessed to keep diving after I'm done roaming, I imagine I'd set up a rotating trip pattern between Bonaire, Key Largo & (if experience agrees with me) Cozumel.

we now cycle between 3 destinations:- divi in bonaire- belize dancer liveaboard- T&C explorer liveaboard

we have been to many other places in the caribbean (should go back to cocoview one of these days) but found that when given a choice for repeats, these 3 topped our list.

have also been to Hawaii and PNG but these do not fit well into a 7 day package. we will return to PNG some day...

We are focused on good "easy" diving. nothing is lower effort than a liveaboard. divi is a close second since we store our gear on the dock. so not much gear lugging for boat or dock dives. we do not do the bonaire truck-shore dive thing, too much effort.

my goal is to wake up from my nap and be in the water 15 minutes later for a good 60+ minute dive. repeat as required.

GiffenK:

Since it may be useful to some in light of the discussion, I'll link this thread on Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard. Analyzing why you choose as you do may be very useful.

The Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize is indeed one sweet trip. That said, and since I don't know what all places you've tried though I assume you've not tried every live-aboard destination...

Why the Sun Dancer 2 and the Turks & Caicos Explorer for your repeat business? You could get a lot of dives with little work onboard the AquaCat or Carib Dancer (Bahamas), Caribbean Explorer (St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Saba), Cayman Aggressor (maybe all 3 Cayman islands if the weather cooperates) or M/V Caribbean Pearl II (Roatan & Utila), all in the same general region of the world. Not even including live-aboard options for the Florida Keys and Dry Tortugas.

So, even if you like the 'easy living' high volume dedicated dive trip offered by mid-range live-aboards (e.g.: I'm leaving out Blackbeards, a budget option), you're picking Sun Dancer 2 and the Turks & Caicos Explorer over all these others.

Why does that work better for you?

Richard.

Merry and I have just reserved our spot at God's Pocket Resort near Port Hardy British Columbia. It will be our third consecutive year diving that area after traveling to warm water destinations the previous couple of years. I don't foresee going anywhere else for a long time.

Reactions: g2
We go on 3-4 dive holidays each year. One of these is always Little Cayman at Southern Cross Club. We love the relaxed atmosphere, great diving, wonderful staff and meals. Weve really enjoyed other vacation but haven't found a place that trumps it - trying Roatan in March.

PNG and the Tuomoto's are the places i would repeatedly go every time if I could....my passports tell me ive done 17 trips to Indonesia so I guess I must like the diving there. I do like Thailand and Cambodia for holidays with a dive or two thrown in.

Been all over the Caribbean. The diving is more similar than different that I don't have any urge to go someplace new in the Caribbean. Quality diving and convenience from NY is the priority.

I basically return to:

Cozumel
Belize Liveaboard
Boynton Beach Florida

When I made reservations for an upcoming trip to Roatan, there was only one place that I was going to stay and that was CoCo View. This is because of the fanatics that stay there again and again. It is a long ways off (2017) but I am anxious to see what all the fuss is about. AKR had a better deal price wise, but didn't offer nearly the value (to me) when you considered shore diving and number of dives we could log in a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom