YOUR Leisure Pro Service Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
I haven't had any service experiences with LP. I have had to exchange some things and never had any problems. I can tell you that LP is not a huge store. I stopped by there in January when I was in Manhattan. The store is smaller than most LDSs. Half a dozen people crowded it! Not much in the way of displays. Even in the store, you order most gear from the catalog and they got it from the stock area. I'm not sure how big the stocking area was. It could have been 20 times bigger. The service area was visible to the public though and was probably about 5x6 feet. It wasn't at all what I pictured it to be. I would also guess that LP is a family business.

LP is one of several businesses owned by the same people.. The BUILDING you were in is used by all the businesses and the stock can truely be anywhere..

Now that you mention that, I do recall the business downstairs being affiliated.

One more thing to add - I didn't really get that "feelgood" feeling when I was there. It was all business. I would also be surprised if they do much diving, if they're even certified at all. It just wasn't what you expect when you walk into a "dive shop".

Dive-aholic:
Now that you mention that, I do recall the business downstairs being affiliated.

One more thing to add - I didn't really get that "feelgood" feeling when I was there. It was all business. I would also be surprised if they do much diving, if they're even certified at all. It just wasn't what you expect when you walk into a "dive shop".

Most of the people there are strictly sales people.. They do have a few instructors and do run classes.. You usually go to LP to get the best prices and if you need a specific adapter NOW they will most likely have it where your LDS might not.. Also alot if the "feeling" you get is that the owners and most of the staff are Hasidic Jews, they are a very tight community with strict protocols, everyone else is Goyim (outsiders - non jew) or zaytiker (I had to look up the spelling!)

Dive-aholic:
I didn't really get that "feelgood" feeling when I was there. It was all business. I would also be surprised if they do much diving, if they're even certified at all. It just wasn't what you expect when you walk into a "dive shop".
padiscubapro:
Most of the people there are strictly sales people.. They do have a few instructors and do run classes..
I have absolutely no misgivings about LP as merchants. I've had several times when I've wanted to consolidate orders to save on shipping, or needed a copy of an invoice, or like that; they've always (via e-mail) responded quickly and well.

Caveat: But now we'll verge into analysis, not known facts... Dive-aholic, I've gotten the same impression that you did, when I've asked via e-mail for advice, or for them to check on how a piece of equipment was constructed. It was basically, "Um, I'm too far away from the warehouse. You want to buy it or not?" (OK, not quite that bad, but still...) I've written in another thread that I have no problem with their sales people not being divers... but their advertising at least implies that they are. Customers shouldn't think that they are.

Conversely, I also have a problem with employees of an LDS who obviously are experienced and qualified divers, but who blindly push only the brands and products that they happen to carry. We've all seen that.

Padiscubapro, where do you get your information? My particular concern, like hoosier's in starting this thread, is with LP's service technicians; everything else is just... well... sales. How are their techs trained? Do they have the correct tools? Can they get the correct parts? With an LDS, I could at least see the shop and make my own judgement (much like a car repair shop). With these guys, I just don't know -- other than trusting them, which I've been doing.

Why are we all so fixated on LP? Because, I think, they're not Bubba's Dive Shop on the local corner. LP has an enormous influence on the scuba market in the U.S., and beyond; because of their effect on market prices, that influence extends far beyond their sales volume. No wonder they're loved, hated, and everything in between.

Oh, and I share hoosier's wish that we'd finally get the (clearly identified) views here of any LP employees. It's long been an urban legend around ScubaBoard that they lurk here. That would again actually not be a problem... they may want to see what people are saying about their company, and not want to reveal themselves for fear of getting attacked. (See what happened to Mares' president in another thread.) But the legend further goes that they use temporary non-attributable usernames, covertly heaping praise on LP. If so, that would be something else again. But that's what you're talking about, right, hoosier?

--Marek

Marek K:
..."Um, I'm too far away from the warehouse. You want to buy it or not?" (OK, not quite that bad, but still...)

Their store is their warehouse, at least from what I saw. My experience has been the same, though. Don't ask for advice 'cause you won't get it. And if you do, you probably don't want it from them. They obviously know how to run a successful business, but I think their knowledge of diving probably has something to be desired (just my opinion, not based on anything factual).

Marek K:
I've written in another thread that I have no problem with their sales people not being divers... but their advertising at least implies that they are. Customers shouldn't think that they are.

I agree. I always thought they were divers...until I actually walked into their store.

Marek K:
Conversely, I also have a problem with employees of an LDS who obviously are experienced and qualified divers, but who blindly push only the brands and products that they happen to carry. We've all seen that.

That's definitely something you won't get from LP.

Marek K:
...is with LP's service technicians; everything else is just... well... sales. How are their techs trained? Do they have the correct tools? Can they get the correct parts? With an LDS, I could at least see the shop and make my own judgement (much like a car repair shop). With these guys, I just don't know -- other than trusting them, which I've been doing.

From the vantage point I had when in their store, my guess would be they do have the correct tools and parts. The tech seemed to know what he was doing. From what I understand though, the way their warranty works is customer sends equipment back for whatever reason. LP receives equipment and repackages sending to manufacturer as if they are the owner and receive the warranty they have. That's how they can match the manufacturer's warranty. It may take a little longer, but it works.

Marek K:
Why are we all so fixated on LP? Because, I think, they're not Bubba's Dive Shop on the local corner. LP has an enormous influence on the scuba market in the U.S., and beyond; because of their effect on market prices, that influence extends far beyond their sales volume. No wonder they're loved, hated, and everything in between.

I agree, if it weren't for businesses like LP we might be stuck paying a lot higher prices for all gear. LP influences other suppliers to price match.

Marek K:
Oh, and I share hoosier's wish that we'd finally get the (clearly identified) views here of any LP employees. It's long been an urban legend around ScubaBoard that they lurk here. That would again actually not be a problem... they may want to see what people are saying about their company, and not want to reveal themselves for fear of getting attacked. (See what happened to Mares' president in another thread.) But the legend further goes that they use temporary non-attributable usernames, covertly heaping praise on LP. If so, that would be something else again. But that's what you're talking about, right, hoosier?

--Marek

I don't think we'll ever see that. I think they just want to run their business and be left alone otherwise.

pilot fish:
A lot of LDS won't service gear purchased by them, right? Did the LDS charge you a bit more? Would your gear be under an kind of mgfg warranty? Could you send it back go them for a free of charge replacment etc?

I would think the time, turn around time, for repairs and maintenance would be a problem with LP?

I bought a Mares R2 Axis regulator from LP. Serviced it at an LDS in Boca Raton, FL. I paid their regular price, the same labor charge at I pay for my Conshelf SE3 that I bought there. No questions about the regulator's provenance.

Dive-aholic:
From the vantage point I had when in their store, my guess would be they do have the correct tools and parts. The tech seemed to know what he was doing. From what I understand though, the way their warranty works is customer sends equipment back for whatever reason. LP receives equipment and repackages sending to manufacturer as if they are the owner and receive the warranty they have. That's how they can match the manufacturer's warranty. It may take a little longer, but it works..
Rob--

Oh, you saw LP's techs and where they work? Even talked to one of their techs?? I've been trying to find someone that could shed any light on that at all, and I think that would be exactly applicable to this thread. Can you expand any more?

In my case, I'm talking about annual service, which in Sherwood's case is closely linked to the warranty -- according to Sherwood's warranty you get free parts for the first two annual services, within the two-year warranty period. LP would of course do that kind of service themselves.

I mentioned in the second post to this thread that I'd sent my LP-bought Sherwood reg in to them in late January for its first annual service. As of mid-February, LP still hadn't received the package. (It was sent from overseas via Diplomatic Post Office, like APO.)

I just re-contacted them two days ago, at the end of the 45-day period that USPS requires me to wait before making an insurance claim. LP replied that the reg had meantime already been at their shop, been serviced, and was on its way back to me. Cool.

Our MasterCard account has been charged $52.45, apparently for the service. OK... that's $39.95 labor for the reg, octo, and gauges. The Sherwood reg's parts should have been free. But there was an Oceanic Veo computer in the console. I figure the additional $12.50 may have been a battery change for the computer, plus any parts for the octo (not covered by the Oceanic warranty). If so, then it wasn't too horrible a price (yes?) -- even though I do have spare batteries (without o-rings) that cost like $2.50 each.

We'll see when I get the rig back, and see the paperwork.

--Marek

They have one free-lance sevice tech who comes in on Sunday (if you want to tallk to him). I've had my regulator overhauled once there and it was just o.k. and I'm looking for a better place. If you send you're reg there, send a copy of the manufacturers warranty and they will honor it. The tech guy's connected to the store seems to be loose, as were some of the external parts of my regulator.

evad:
They have one free-lance sevice tech who comes in on Sunday (if you want to tallk to him). I've had my regulator overhauled once there and it was just o.k. and I'm looking for a better place. If you send you're reg there, send a copy of the manufacturers warranty and they will honor it. The tech guy seems to be only loosely connected to the store, as were some of the external parts of my regulator.
Hey, don't do that!!
04.gif

OK... more details please... Overhauled, as in annual service?

Why only "o.k."?

And what about these external parts?

--Marek

Marek K:
Hey, don't do that!!
04.gif

OK... more details please... Overhauled, as in annual service?

Why only "o.k."?

And what about these external parts?

--Marek

Yes, annual service with free parts.

There were a few new dings on the second stage and cracking adjustment did not work in a linear fashion which he said was due to the new seat not being worn in yet but I have looked at it and don't believe it was replaced because the service kit for that reg doesn't come with a new seat and there wasn't one in the returned parts bag.

There was a decorative ring thingy that was not put back on right and the cracking pressure knob was not screwed all the way back on. Nothing really but indicative of haste and we all know what that makes.

I don't think this stuff is at all peculiar to LP. It could happen anywhere. I think, more to the point, you should know who's sticking their fingers in your apperatus and would you want them to do it again.

My reg is still working fine. Your's will probably not be any better or worse than if you had blindly sent it to anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom