YOUR Leisure Pro Service Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if nothing else, LP gets a lot of advertising from these forums !!!!

Well, that too. But, nonetheless, it will have a strong effect of enticing the new diver to search out the website and then, ding-a-ling, the cash register starts to chime !!!

Marek K:
Rob--

Oh, you saw LP's techs and where they work? Even talked to one of their techs?? I've been trying to find someone that could shed any light on that at all, and I think that would be exactly applicable to this thread. Can you expand any more?

In my case, I'm talking about annual service, which in Sherwood's case is closely linked to the warranty -- according to Sherwood's warranty you get free parts for the first two annual services, within the two-year warranty period. LP would of course do that kind of service themselves.

I mentioned in the second post to this thread that I'd sent my LP-bought Sherwood reg in to them in late January for its first annual service. As of mid-February, LP still hadn't received the package. (It was sent from overseas via Diplomatic Post Office, like APO.)

I just re-contacted them two days ago, at the end of the 45-day period that USPS requires me to wait before making an insurance claim. LP replied that the reg had meantime already been at their shop, been serviced, and was on its way back to me. Cool.

Our MasterCard account has been charged $52.45, apparently for the service. OK... that's $39.95 labor for the reg, octo, and gauges. The Sherwood reg's parts should have been free. But there was an Oceanic Veo computer in the console. I figure the additional $12.50 may have been a battery change for the computer, plus any parts for the octo (not covered by the Oceanic warranty). If so, then it wasn't too horrible a price (yes?) -- even though I do have spare batteries (without o-rings) that cost like $2.50 each.

We'll see when I get the rig back, and see the paperwork.

--Marek

I did see the tech at work. Spoke with him briefly, but he wasn't very talkative - none of the LP employees are, even on the phone. The service area looked like every other service area I've seen. I didn't look at every tool, but some of the tools I saw were the specialized reg tools. I don't think they do much more than annual servicing there. evad said they're only there on Sundays. I didn't know that, but guess what :06: I was there on a Sunday. Guess I just got lucky. Check LPs website for the price of the Oceanic battery replacement kit. That might shed some light on things. If it's not $12.50, I'd bet the difference is the cost of shipping.

Dive-aholic:
they're only there on Sundays. I didn't know that, but guess what
06.gif
I was there on a Sunday. Guess I just got lucky.
Hmmm... and the e-mail I just got back from LP, telling me the reg had been serviced and was on its way back to me, was sent last Sunday...
Dive-aholic:
Check LPs website for the price of the Oceanic battery replacement kit. That might shed some light on things. If it's not $12.50, I'd bet the difference is the cost of shipping.
Oh, good point. LP lists the CR-2450 battery, without o-ring, for $4.99. That's about twice what it's available for from battery stores, but OK.

Oceanic lists the battery kit (with o-ring and silicone) for $21.95. Way over-priced, but that's suggested.

And I'd forgotten about shipping costs back to me.

So assuming they changed the battery and o-ring, that wasn't a bad deal at all. If not, then it still wasn't horrible.

--Marek

[font=바탕]No, Kreken,[/font][font=바탕]I don't think so.[/font][font=바탕] Many divers here are getting wiser and more informatted over time.[/font][font=바탕] Like I mentioned, I also bought a lot of accessory from LP before, but after reading the many posts here, I am considering more careful to shop over there. [/font][font=바탕]This thread that I[/font][font=바탕]opened is also kind of due process to find out more experiences about [/font][font=바탕]LP's [/font][font=바탕]warranty/annual service. [/font]

The Kraken:
Well, that too. But, nonetheless, it will have a strong effect of enticing the new diver to search out the website and then, ding-a-ling, the cash register starts to chime !!!

hoosier:
[font=바탕]No, Kreken,[/font][font=바탕]I don't think so.[/font][font=바탕] Many divers here are getting wiser and more informatted over time.[/font][font=바탕] Like I mentioned, I also bought a lot of accessory from LP before, but after reading the many posts here, I am considering more careful to shop over there. [/font][font=바탕]This thread that I[/font][font=바탕]opened is also kind of due process to find out more experiences about [/font][font=바탕]LP's [/font][font=바탕]warranty/annual service. [/font]

Please forgive me, but I respectfully disagree. Given the position of the US dollar in the world market, I think the average consumer is going to become even more discerning with respect to discretionary spending. Such things as the basic cost of gasoline and the fallout effects from the increase thereof are going to make the individual consumer reposition his priorities when it comes to spending.

Well, not to launch into a forum in international economics, but I can assure you that many, many LDS's will close their doors before LP does.

Nothing personal, it's just business . . .

hoosier:
...[font=바탕]but after reading the many posts here, I am considering more careful to shop over there.[/font]
Why? I think your thread was excellent, thanks, and I for one have long seen a need for it.

But your thread as I understand it was about technical service, not sales.

And I haven't seen anything here yet that would necessarily disqualify LP's service... Unless I misunderstood, Evad indicated he thought his criticisms could apply to a lot of reputable shops, and I didn't see anything wrong with Dive-aholic Rob's comments. Not glowing unequivocal praise, but I wouldn't realistically expect that -- in fact, I'd be pretty skeptical of that.
03.gif

I think care is something that everyone should exercise, when having something serviced (or when shopping) anywhere. And even if you (or I) decide not to have our stuff serviced there in the future, that shouldn't necessarily apply to shopping.

True, if it turned out LP's tech(s) is/are unqualified, or incompetent, or dishonest -- preponderance of evidence, not just a particular allegation -- then that may have a bearing.

But, like, I like Dell computers... We own a desktop and two laptops. One must admit, they've got a pretty good overall reputation. But I did an Internet search once regarding complains about their sales and service. Jeez!! :whack: And I'll bet it's the same for any vendor.

--Marek

The Kraken:
Given the position of the US dollar in the world market, I think the average consumer is going to become even more discerning with respect to discretionary spending.
Man, you should see it from here!!! I get paid in US$... which has been taking more of a beating against the Polish currency than even against the Euro. And local prices have been shooting up since EU accession.

--Marek

Here is a cut and paste job from an old post about my service experience with LP. Hope it helps...

"The reality is most of us never know how good the doctor, mechanic, teacher, or technician is that services "US." We frequently have to believe them when they say they are good. Kinda scary when you really think about it huh? Yikes.

I have had my gear serviced at LP and I am still alive! They didn't charge me for Scuba Pro parts and they discussed the work with me, changed my computer batteries for free, and gave me all my old parts back in a neat little baggie. All this service cost me $39 bucks. Not bad. For me it's good because I live here. I should add that I have never personally read of anyone on scubaboard using LP for service. I'm sure if I did a search I would. Nonetheless, I write because it's now public record and that's what this board is for. Well, one of the reasons anyway.

Next time I buy regs I will be calling scuba toys if they will have me! Heck, if I lived close to Larry, I would pay higher prices for what I am sure is excellent local service. I wish I had a LDS like his here in NYC.

Again, I am not writing to defend LP. I am writing to let it be known that I had a positive experience using them and hate it when people slander, especially second hand. If I got bad service I would write that too. That said, I agree that LP employees have very dry personalities. It's all business with them. They have no interest in your personal (for the most part) life or in you knowing about them. They simply aren't for everyone. Particularly the new diver. I will also add that they weren't rude or mean in any way. As a matter of fact, they were more pleasant than SOME LDS's I have visited."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom