Your Post-Cavern Gear Configuration

What was Your Post-Cavern Cave Class Configuration?

• Single-tank, mostly minimum equipment

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Doubles, but not full cave equipment

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Full Cave equip (per agency req'mts)

Votes: 37 86.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had been diving in BM doubles and GUE configuration prior to Cavern, and continued that way through Full Cave, after which I switched over to sidemount. I haven't as yet felt the need to switch back, at least for the caves.

we've deviated signifiantly from the OP's poll post - sorry.
to answer the OP post - i never took cavern, have no plans too, i do some bunny caverns but will full kit (doubles, can light, backup lights, etc.) basically i am fully compliant for Fundies standards every dive right now. that will continue every dive outside of some mandated changes for the pool by the DM course, but even there that only applys to the pool work. I will still be in BP/W in the pool.

the question around mix and classes is a seperate topic

Hey, it's all good discussion! :thumb:

yep - food for thought

That Intro thing -- so do I have to get a special card to dive Intro dives in doubles? :shocked2:

Or can I show my sidemount card?

No, many of the agencies now have a card or print on it that the intro course was completed in doubles. That will cover you at Ginnie. It's not an issue anywhere else.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks! :chuckle:

I had full cave gear at beginning of Cavern - so no need to change any equipment. In our climate you dive only one summer in a wet suit. Thereafter you easily convert to a dry suit;-)

At the beginning of the Intro course, there were some minor equipment/procedure mods:
- Light cable tucked under belt when not in use
- Long hose clipped always when not in use, i.e. also above water
- Tow ring turned inside (since not in use)
- Additional double ender in pocket
- Added a small loop at base of light head allowing better positioning of lamp when clipped to D-ring
- Some discussion of my extra long Green Force "canister". Instructor required that I should convert to regular sized canister before Cave course. Done.
- Some discussion about transmitter on right post, eventhough on a 4" flexible hose and tucked fully between base plate and wings. I am prepared to continue discussion, but willing to take that away if not able to convince instructor ;-)

Since the Intro course was in warm waters, my instructor suggested I could cut of the finger tips of my neoprene gloves to make handling easier. I did not do this, because I wanted to train having the same difficulties as back at home in colder waters.

Since the Intro course was in warm waters, my instructor suggested I could cut of the finger tips of my neoprene gloves to make handling easier. I did not do this, because I wanted to train having the same difficulties as back at home in colder waters.

Okay, you got me there! I though one does not wear gloves in caves?

Okay, you got me there! I though one does not wear gloves in caves?
The water in our mines is relatively "warm", 4 degrees Centrigrade, compared to the water between mine entrance and the ice cover on the surface. Here the temperature might drop to zero degrees centrigrade. I wear neoprene gloves and regularly have to calm down concerned co-divers. But, I certainly will not cut away the finger tips of the gloves.

Here is video of our local conditions (full credits to Jyrki Saario)
Ojamo lime mine - 28 Level on Vimeo

Notice the detail at the end of the video. We use a water pump in order to avoid the exit hole from freezing...

The water in our mines is relatively "warm", 4 degrees Centrigrade, compared to the water between mine entrance and the ice cover on the surface. Here the temperature might drop to zero degrees centrigrade. I wear neoprene gloves and regularly have to calm down concerned co-divers. But, I certainly will not cut away the finger tips of the gloves.

Notice the detail at the end of the video. We use a water pump in order to avoid the exit hole from freezing...

Oh. :shocked:

I see. You're just certifiably nuts! :D

:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

I agree with Jax, that's effing cold!

And this is coming from someone that has done many 1.5-2hr dives in a wet suit in 10 deg C water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom