Zeagle Ranger issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if that concerns you then a stainless plate may be the best option, and I'd go Deep Sea Supply with LCD30. Call Tobin and pick his brain.

That also said, if you put the weight belt on first under the crotch strap it can't fall that far down. You can put pockets on all of the BP/W's, if you so choose.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Pockets
Dive Rite's are pretty good because they can go both horizontal and vertical and have a dedicated buckle on them so there is minimal risk of them coming open when you don't want them to. They just slide right on the waist belt.

Maybe, it would help if you gave a little more information about your diving and DM'ing. As I mentioned, many DMs, and Instructors, deal with the issue of carrying some extra weight, and serving as a weight repository, during classes. Frankly, this should be an issue primarily in Confined Water, but when we take students into OW, we often are putting them in thicker exposure suits than they use in the pool, and previous weight checks are not necessarily precise because of that. I spend what some other Instructors consider to be an inordinate amount of time on weight checks at the beginning of OW Dive 1, simply because I don't want to have to carry (or have my DMs / DMCs carry) a lot of extra weight, I don't want to have students bobbing to the surface or bouncing on the bottom, and because I personally think that is the proper thing to do. Nonetheless, there is often a need for extra weight during a dive, because breathing patterns may change as the students swim underwater and start to realize, 'OMG, I am swimming in less than crystal clear, less than comfortably warm, water and I am 30ft down!' and their respiratory rate goes up and they start getting 'floaty'. Many DMs find the Ranger to be very functional. The storage pockets actually do accommodate quite a bit of extra weight. And the 44lbs of lift comes in handy. I think it works well in that setting. But, it appears you have moved on so, here are some questions and thoughts.

Are you trying to find ONE BCD to use for both your personal, recreational diving, AND for DMing? What BCD are you using now? How much weight do you personally need in your current rig?

I use a jacket BCD - in my case the Aqualung Wave - with BIG pockets, on occasion, usually in the pool but at times I take it to OW simply for convenience. Mine is not weight-integrated - frankly, Aqualung seems to be having difficulty with their Sure Lock system (I think they are on the third iteration) - plus integrated weight BCDs generally put weight exactly where I don't want it, anyway. I don't mind weight belts, either. The pockets on the Wave are capacious, and easy to access. Plus, as a teaching BCD, the Wave is VERY inexpensive. If you are looking for a simple BCD primarily for DMing, it may be worth a look. (And, you can actually sew a crotch strap on it - a crotch strap for me is a no brainer, especially with jackets at the surface.) I confess, that I use a SS BP/W for personal recreational diving because it puts weight where it ideally should be for good trim, it minimizes 'added weight' (frankly, I really don't need added weight with a 3mm suit and a steel cylinder as I am as close to properly weight as I can get), and a 30lb wing meets my needs for wetsuit (1mm, 3mm or 5mm) diving with AL or steel. Not trying to sell you on that approach, just saying what I do, and why, as food for thought and possible consideration. I do use - and actually prefer - the BP/W for Instructing as well. The modularity that it offers comes out when I change to a 40lb wing for OW (and AOW) classes, where I may need to carry a bit extra weight, or retrieve intentionally dropped weight belts from the bottom of the quarry. I can put a couple of large (Halcyon) pockets on the waist strap for classes, to carry extra weight, and I find them to be very easy to access. I also carry a couple of sets of ankle weights at times, because they give me better options to help students with trim, than lead belt weights. But, essentially I use the same rig for teaching and for personal recreational diving, albeit with a simple change of wings.

Most divers with some experience develop preferences for their rig. Several posters have already shared theirs, I have shared mine. But, my primary point is that there are a lot of options available to you to accomplish what you describe as your need. You may even want to see if you can borrow some rigs and try them out before buying.

Last edited:
Most of my DMing these days is guiding newly certified divers, often coming out of OW dives during the previous summer in quarries. With me, their making their first dive in real open water: the reefs off Big Pine Key and often in 3' seas, 15' viz, and occasionally some current. Nearly all are using rental gear which comes from local dive operators that provide weight belts in lieu of integrated pockets. Although I take great care to weigh them properly, once we're over the side, additional trimming is often necessary. I get this done quickly as possible so as not to take too much bottom time from the tight schedule the headboat is on, but in real open water, as any DM/Instructor knows, no matter how hard you try, it's often not a smooth and seamless process...

All that said, I need some improvement in my gear. My current BC is an Aqua Lung Axiom with the Sure-Lock system. I bought it when newly re-certified and before I lost my mind and became a DM. I chose Aqua Lung because of tribal loyalty (first gear I bought back in '67). Back then I bought US Divers/Aqualung because it was Jacques Cousteau's brand and if he didn't know what to buy, then who the hell did?

Several hundred dives later, the Axiom has held up well and does the job except for one - potentially dangerous - flaw. The Sure-Lock system is fussy, and unless very carefully inserted into the BC, the weight pocket will not lock properly and may fall out. For those interested, here's how I've learned to avoid that outcome: Use hard weights as recommended by AQL; NEVER overload the pocket (keep it trim); NEVER load the weight pockets into the BC with gear in the side pockets (gloves, hood, camera, etc), ALWAYS load the weight pockets as your first item of gear prep; ALWAYS lay the BC on its back (weight slots vertical) and while aligning them carefully, drop the weighted pockets into the Sure-Lock clip while listening for the audible "snap," as they lock into place. Once you're certain they've locked in, give several sharp tugs on the fold over the weight and try to dislodge the pocket. If it's still secure, it'll likely remain that way (at least they have for me over the last couple hundred dives). Prior to going through this drill I've lost weight pockets three times, twice while rolling in on a back roll, and once when pursuing my team down the mooring line of a wreck. An earlier reply to this thread - as well as the extra AQL pockets I've picked up while diving a local reef and wreck - indicate that I'm not the only diver who's experienced this problem.

As a retired airline pilot, I've been inculcated in the safety benefit of standardization in equipment and procedures. Knowing exactly where to reach for something, and knowing what it does when you do (as a result of constant practice), enhances safety. If can find and use the same equipment for all my diving needs, then so much the better, and that's the reason for my query. Getting old has one real benefit: you learn to ask smart and experienced people for advice before making important decisions!

THANKS ALL!

:rolleyes:

Thank you for an excellent summary of your situation. I fully understand what you are faced with - newer divers, first time in salt water, different equipment than what they trained in, and definite candidates for the 'OMG' breathing pattern. And, doing weight checks off a boat in open water is quite different than having the luxury of standing in water at a quarry entrance with extra weights on shore nearby. :)

You didn't mention your own weight requirements, in you 'usual and customary' exposure suit, with the Axiom, in salt water. If you are using more than 8 lbs of lead already, I think you should definitely at least try out a SS plate. If you are using minimal weight now, and are looking for a rig that will support carrying extra weight, then a positively buoyant fabric BCD (e.g. the HunterPac that tbone mentioned) is possibly going to be a better option.

I can also appreciate your preference for standardization. In the cockpit I want to know where everything is by feel. I am a member of a flying club with ~15 aircraft. And, one of the primary over the years when we acquire a new (used, of course) plane, is to have it set up in a standard configuration so member pilots don't have to learn 8 different configurations of the same class .

Last edited:
Neutral at 10 lbs. summer in dive skin; 18 lbs winter in 5mm (what they called a dive skin when I bought on sale in San Diego!). Love to get rid of as much lead as I can. The Hunterpac with Pinnacle Comfo Belt is interesting and provides lots of options. Something new and different, though. SCOFing the big issue there. If I can't get past it, then a fabric BC maybe the only option. I get a great employee discount on gear, so although I agree the Zeagle is overpriced (100% retail markup like on all dive gear), it could still be an option. Anyone using the Zeagle Stiletto? Wondering how it compares to the Ranger considering its lower lift capacity and 1/2 pound difference in dry weight? Smaller bladders/profile against the single aluminum 80's I use?

Two concerns: first; I've read that some folks have had their weights dumped by accident (somehow dropped without the diver's intent to drop them),
I don't see how that is possible, especially if you use one of their pocket liners/zippered bags.

second, I've read reports of bladder seals cracking/disintegrating, rendering the BC useless and, in some cases, soon after it was new.
I've own several Zeagle BCs and a few are over 12 years old. I've had absolutely no probs with their materials.

This was one of the posts I'd found that prompted one of my original questions. There are others referencing weights falling out, but my beer-addled brain can't remember where. This one came from SB's Zeagle forum, second page:

So far i really enjoy the ranger.
i have had problems with alb hard weight falling out... the problem isn't that it is falling though the webbing, but rather, the plastic rip core i coming out of the para cord webbing, causing a gap that the weight can slide out of.

My question concerning failed seals was prompted by this thread (and its multiple posts) on SB's Zeagle forum:

"Ranger LTD quality issue - hose and dumps detach from bladder"

I could see a one pound weight possibly working it's way through the webbing. They sell a zippered pouch to deal with this, but I've never needed it. As for it holding up, all I can go on is my own awesome experiences with Zeagle. My student BCs take a pounding. Heck, my own personal BCs have taken a pounding. While I own Stillettos and Express Techs, the workmanship is the same. Even then, they have some awesome customer service stories here on SB when something does break.

I had a ranger for about 4 years. Purchase used, sold it for about same price. Absolutely rock solid and reliable. Company also seems to stand behind their product. It was not a good travel rig as it was very bulky and had more lift than I could possibly use. Zeagle has better options if travel size is critical. By comparison I had a couple of Mares that had auto-eject weight system :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom