Zeagle single bpw thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading Tbone's response I did some research, and spoke to Bryan at VDH. I like the fact that the Argonaut Backplate/Wing Package is made in the USA, and I like to support local business. I looked at Deep 6, but did not like that the rig was made in China. I did like DSS, but I can't wait 6+ months. Dive Rite is local for me, but not exactly what I am looking for. I really like Halcyon, but refuse to pay nearly double. I am heavily leaning toward VDH. Does anyone have any thoughts. I have been diving since 86, and am ready to make the bpw switch. I have no plans to get into technical diving. I do like the simple open freeness of movement, and ease of trim.

I use the VDH Argonaut Universal Back Plate for single and double hose diving. I am very satisfied with it.

Last edited:
After many years of diving, I am ready to move to a bpw setup. I will be diving a single hp100. I have decided that I want a ss backplate and a 30# doughnut wing. I have researched many different brands, but I am leaning toward Zeagle. I have used a Ranger Ltd for several years, and have been very happy with it. Is anyone have experience with the Zeagle bpw, or any thoughts? Thanks

I currently dive that rig as my singles kit. I got years ago when Zeagle first moved into the BP market. At the time was diving a Zeagle Ranger and before that their Concept. The donut wing is a very basic but well built wing. A bit more expensive (as are their backplates) but I got mine whilst still paying DM so it was reasonably priced. I have found Zeagle's customer service to be very good. But much of that interaction was before being bought by Huish. That said Huish is located in Salt Lake City and I was just out at their HQ to pick up an Oceanic transmitter and they treated me well. Zeagle products are still made in the USA.

I had a Zeagle Express Tech soft backplate. I used it for one trip to Bonaire and experienced horrible tank roll. My personal recommendation is if you are looking at a BP/W kit avoid the soft backplate designs regardless of the brand and go with either stainless or aluminum. DGE and HOG offer some economical options.

@The Chairman it is stupid that Dive Rite discontinued the hunterpac. It was one of the best products they've released in years....
It was a business decision: it just didn't sell. I still dive mine all the time.
I used it for one trip to Bonaire and experienced horrible tank roll.
What did you do that you had such bad tank roll? Even without the crotch strap, I found it minimal. With a properly adjusted crotch strap it's as stable as a BP.

What did you do that you had such bad tank roll? Even without the crotch strap, I found it minimal. With a properly adjusted crotch strap it's as stable as a BP.

Point taken. I should have been more specific in my description. At the time I was experimenting with assembling a lightweight travel BC consisting of a Zeagle Express Tech soft backplate, Dive Rite wing, harness and crotch strap. The Dive Rite wing only has a simple cross brace and no integrated tank stabilizers. I don’t know if the Zeagle has them or not, but the lack of stabilizers contributed to the tank roll. So in retrospect my comment incorrectly cast a negative light on the Express Tech system as a whole. I am glad it worked for you. However, I am not a proponent of calling a pliable piece of fabric covered plastic a “backplate” after owning two different brands of soft plates. Especially when the weight of a rigid aluminum plate is negligible.

At the time I was experimenting with assembling a lightweight travel BC consisting of a Zeagle Express Tech soft backplate,
Ah, so you WEREN'T really diving an Express Tech. I've made Franken BCs from that backplate, but it's hard to make them as stable as the whole package.

Have the Express Tech and hate it.
I do like how minimalist it is but..
Impossible to keep from riding up, even with a crotch strap...wind up with a 2" G string you know where.
When wearing just a T, you can feel the grommets chewing at your spine.
Yes, you can add a backpad for comfort, and rig a triglide or something to stop slipping, but for an otd product, it sucks.
I have pulled the wing and used on another project. Harness will eventually be used as a vintage singles setup.

Back
Top Bottom