Zeagle's Express Tech: The first and last BC most will ever need (or want)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some pics of two variants of the ET: 30 lbs donut wing (with ripcord) and 35 lbs horseshoe wing (with zip pouch):

IMAG0075.jpgIMAG0076.jpgIMAG0077.jpgIMAG0078.jpg

I dive the 30lbs Wing locally and when travelling and ordered the 35 lbs rig for my GF, not that she needs that buoyancy but in case I would need it at some point in the future. If you check my avatar, this is me diving with that set-up in Cozumel. 056.jpg and the last one was taken this past Feb in Bonaire

Thanks Guys
I think I'll go with the standard wing... I'd prefer the 30 donut .. the 24 is in stock.
RTee .. I see you're a fellow canuck .. Where do you buy your Zeagle gear?

086 (2).jpg092 (2).jpgZeagle Express down in Florida (through their website) and I get it shipped to Ogdensburg UPS store for pick up. Stellar service from Gene. He posts regularly on the Zeagle section of this forum.

Zeagle Express is the most complete source for everything Zeagle Systems makes

---------- Post added April 21st, 2012 at 07:42 PM ----------

Hi All
Would someone be able to post front and rear pictures of an ET with a 30# wing... with tank attached?
I'm trying to understand how far down the tank it goes.
Just to be greedy .. it would be good to see some shots of the ET in the water too... any sized wing.
TIA

1282 - - ScubaBoard Gallery

More pics of the 30 lb donut and 35 lbs horseshoe underwater

I'm getting back into diving and the Express Tech Basic really has my attention. It looks like a good BP/W style hybrid and at $260 the price is awesome.

So here's where I'm stuck. I can estimate in my mind how much lead I'll need for my fresh and salt water diving configurations ( less then 20lb ) but I'm not sure where it'll end up being for best trim. Without that knowledge, how do I choose what weight systems to purchase?

Do I just go with the zeagle zip weights and see how it works out? Are there cheaper / better altenatives? I'm trying to avoid buying something that once I have it in the water I realize it's not working and I need to buy something else.

Any advice is appreciated!​

I sent this in a PM, but I'll answer it again here. I use Zeagle's normal weight system and add an XS Scuba weight pocket to the upper tank cam band. If I am diving an AL tank, I slip another five pounds in the upper pocket. If I am in my steel 120s or 130s, I don't need to. I also dive an ET without integrated weights using a DUI weight harness. Both are equally acceptable for me.

Several helped me to understand my weighting and trim concerns/solutions and for that I'm about 99% there on pulling the triger on an ExpressTech.

Then I saw this (DRIS 28lb BP/Wsystem): http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...tems/413661-review-dris-28lb-bp-w-system.html

Ok, I'm torn. I'll avoid all of the flamebait pro's and con's of the two systems such as feeling the tank move or not, length of the inflator, 1pc vs 2pc of webbing, plastic buckle or metal buckle and focus on:

Price $275 with crotch strap for the zeagle, hopefully still $299 for the DRIS ... basically the same price.. moving on...
Zeagle.. pack up and travel lighter, easier
DRIS... steel backplate. Should help my weighting and trim.
DRIS... Donut shaped wing
DRIS... change out wings and tanks down the road but frankly, I really don't think I'll ever be doing TECH / doubles.

I might also be getting a used Faber LP95 (recent hydro, + rated ) for $170.

Between the steel plate and LP tank, that's about 10lbs off my belt. In a typical stab / AL80 config I needed about 14lbs in salt/swimsuit and 18lbs in fresh water 3mm 2pc. That should get me down around 5 and 10lbs respectivly for additional weight needs. I travel diving to be < 20% of my diving and local diving to be > 80%.

Feel free to bring up any pro's and con's that you want and/or pick apart my logic. So, what do you think? Which would you get if you were me?

I think I'm better off with the DRIS but it's a close call. Eitherway I'm far better off then I was with the stab jacket I first bought ten years ago for the same price. In being away from the community for the last 5 years it seems like there has been progress in adopting BP/W concepts ( or bastardizing them if that's your perspective ) and making them more mainstream. This seems like a win for all.

the DRIS is not $299 anymore...that being said, i love my ET.

The reason I said "hopefully" is because it's been suggested to PM dive rite in scuba and ask them if they will do it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I think I'd love an ET also. But would I love the steel backplate even more? (As it relates to my weighting needs.)

I'm trying to buy once and only once. :)

did not know that about "pm'ing them"...i just saw that it had switched to $359 (still not a bad price for a full BP/W imo).

The reason I said "hopefully" is because it's been suggested to PM dive rite in scuba and ask them if they will do it. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I think I'd love an ET also. But would I love the steel backplate even more? (As it relates to my weighting needs.)

I'm trying to buy once and only once. :)

Back
Top Bottom